• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Bogen Receivers - Any good?

Naptown Rob

Ponographer
Hello all. I'm new to AudioKarma, but well aware of the experience & knowledge here, so I'm looking for some opinions.
There's a Bogen "tuner/amplier" (I take this to mean "receiver") on the local Craigslist. It's described as vintage 1960 - 65 & in excellent condition. I don't know yet which model it is. 50 bucks.
I certainly don't need it, but you know how it is. I don't expect it to sound as good as my Fisher 500-C, but what should I expect? There doesn't seem to be too much info on these out there.
Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
I suspect the Fisher will be the better of the 2. The Sherwood S8000 is the only receiver that I think beats the 500-C. Bogen was a well respected equipment manufacturer in the tube era but its real strength was in the sound reinforcement, distribution and intercom area. However, for the price and if in the stated condition, I'd vote for looking at it and going for it if decent. You will need to figure on caps, possibly tubes and an alignment before being in a position to judge the sonic ability.
 
IMO Bogen made some very good equipment. I have two of their lower powered receivers, SRB-20 (6BM8/ECL82 tubes) and RP-200 (7189 tubes) receivers, and both are good performers. Bogen used very good tubes, including Mullard, and good transformers. They are not difficult to work on. I also have a lot of their high powered PA tube amps and they are all impressive performers (and also tend to have great tubes).

You may just be lucky and get some really nice tubes, and the receiver may pleasantly surprise you...

Pics of receivers:

SRB-20:
http://www.acousticpsychos.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=32
http://www.acousticpsychos.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=33
RP-200:
http://www.acousticpsychos.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=30
http://www.acousticpsychos.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=31
 
Thanks guys. I'm going to check it out (and no doubt pick it up if it's as good as described) just out of curiosity. I have found some good reports on Bogens of this era & wonder why the company basically dropped the consumer/hi-fi end of it's business. Somewhere out there is a Bogen fanatic who will fill me in, I hope.
 
Finally found out which model we're talking about. Sadly, it is not any of the beauties mentioned above. The poor thing is a TR8000. It is severly infected with (avert your eyes now...) transistors! :tears:I will not allow such a thing to darken my door.
But I sure will keep my eyes open for one of those RP-40's.
Thanks for the input guys -
 
In the '60s my parents had a Bogen RP-60. I remember it being a fine sounding receiver. Wish I had been able to hang on to that one. But it got lost in the shuffle of many moves. :(
 
Naptown: I have a Sansui 1000A I'm rehabbing. Noticed you have a 500C. Interested in doing an A/B run off? If so it would be a couple months before I get finished with the Rehab. Just about finished re-capping (need 1 Multisection) and need 4 7591's. Other than that it's ready to go.

Larry
in Glen Burnie.
 
Nine out of ten Bogen amplifiers/receivers I've encountered always worked and, have good power supplies.

But of course, looks overides performance hence the reason they go for next to nothing.

Best Regards,

I always liked the looks and sound of this Bogen RP 230
 

Attachments

  • My RP230.JPG
    My RP230.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 362
Guess I'll have to take another look at my RP-40a. It is in decent shape other than the dial glass. It looks like the letters washed off and was repainted. Maybe it got broken so this was the fix. Anyway, I guess I'll have to work up a bill of material for a resto and get going. Thankfully I have the original manual which includes all maintenance info.

John
 
I got rid of mine for the 40$ I paid for it, of course I kept the mullard 12AX7's. I really wanted to hear it playing but the chassis was covered in green oxidation, tuner string busted one pair of power tubes fried and one tube MIA. So I just passed it on seeing that I couldn't get too much for it.
 
I always liked the looks and sound of this Bogen RP 230

Here's one of my oldest Bogen Receivers from the late 40's early 50's.

It is on a minimum of 10 hours a day since 2008 and, the transformer remains Luke-warm.

mcgp7c.jpg


It is the first generation of the RR 501, which offers a larger power transformer than the RR 501B. The RR 501 was solely made for radio consoles. Unlike a lot of Bogen valve equipment you will see selling on Ebay, this unit was made in New York. It is an original Bogen design before their big move to New Jersey. Bogen-Presto, & Lear-Siegler came about once they settled in the Garden State.

I own the mono version to the RP 230 (RP 115). If the RP 230 is like the RP 115, you will be able to pick up radio stations even without the antenna.

Bogen was never about looks but more towards performance. It is why they left the home audio scene and focused primarily on public address systems where, longevity holds more weight than a pretty faceplate. A lot of companies that many cherish are no longer around. However, Bogen is still in business today.

If someone tells you the sound quality is compromised tell him or her to prove it with measured charts. I can get well over 20 kHz with the RR 501 and, have SMAART charts to prove it. :thmbsp:


Best Regards,
 
I'm sitting here listening to a Bogen AP-35 through a pair of Dynaco's, and I have no complaints at all, I really like the sound. Under-rated I think. People pay less attention to the home audio stuff because they are so well known for the PA equipment.
 
bogen case

Did yours come with the case? I'd like to find one for mine, it's naked ATM.

BogenRP_230d.JPG



BogenRP_230e.JPG




It would be nice to get the numbers on the glass redone too, but I don't know what my options are.

I actually have 3 of them here (long story) with cases, two had the wooden cases and one came with a metal case. I think if you watch ebay a "junker" may come up, or you could make or have a case made.
 
Can someone please tell me what power have this bogen rp230 ? i have one in collection and i can't find out on google what power have. Thank you!
 
Should be 30 watts total, or 15 per channel. Realistically its probably more like 12 per channel. The 7408 is a 6V6GTA with a fancy number.
 
Back
Top Bottom