• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Appropos of nothing: early AR-2 photos

mhardy6647

Lunatic Member
I have a single, fairly early unsuffixed AR-2 (two crossfired 5" cone drivers serving as "tweeters") that I was using last night as a "bass bin" while testing compression drivers on an Altec horn. Since I had this ol' AR-2 out, I decided to take a few photos. No, it's not pretty at all; but I thought that the photo documentation might be interesting/useful to have. Sorry that it's not prettier; it was a dump find and fortunately it works fine.

Note the brass tag added by the original seller ("Delaware Audio House").

AR2front.jpg


s/n B 1970:

AR2instructionsbw.jpg


The three-terminal wiring block. The tweeter and woofer sections are reversibly jumpered:

AR2hookup.jpg


These were really meant to be used on bookshelves; one long side was veneered, but not the other:

AR2finishedside.jpg

AR2unfinished.jpg


On this particular example, the bare plywood side looks better than the veneered side :-)
 
Register to hide this ad
Love the vintage grillcloth. Wish I could'a saved it on my AR-2a's, but AR made that really hard to do.
 
Mark, when we moved into our current home about three years ago I discovered a pair of AR2s built into the wall of a bar area. They are unfinished s/n B-58495,496. The house was built in 1959 so I believe the speakers were installed as a part of the original constuction. Interestingly they do not have the original grill fabric. Instead they have some sort of black fabric. Also the only stain on them is around the front edge and back about 2 inches. Just enough to match the wall panelling. Do you know the manufacturing years of the AR2s?

cubdog
 
Cubdog, the history sheet I have on them shows from 1960 to 1964. I think this came from the Human Speakers site but I could be wrong.
 

Attachments

  • history_01.jpg
    history_01.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the information avguytx! We have had some doubts as to the exact date our house was built. It possible it was started in 59 and finished up in 60. I still haven't fired up those speakers. They're kind of like time capsule speakers. I wish the original grill cloth was intact.

cubdog
 
Thanks for posting that Avguytx! Are the MSRPs listed for one speaker, or a pair?
 
No problem....

Based on what some of the others go for, I would be thinking that's pricing for the pair.

Here are pages 2, 3 & 4 of the AR history time line that I have.
 

Attachments

  • history_02.jpg
    history_02.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 11
  • history_03.jpg
    history_03.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 7
  • history_04.jpg
    history_04.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom