• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rotel FAX-150c Tube Receiver?

cielo

New Member
Hi guys,
I've enjoyed lurking on this site for some time now. I have found very little information about my newly acquired Rotel FAX-150c receiver. Google only returns one hit from a Korean site. Does anyone remember this unit? I never knew Rotel made non-SS gear.

When connected to my system, only the right channel worked. After taking the top off, I found that one of the 6BQ5 output tubes had a crack. I swapped the tube from the right channel and it tested just fine. Now I have to research and find a set of 6BQ5s or EL84s.

Here are some photos:

DSC_0171_Vga.jpg


DSC_0178_Vga.jpg


DSC_0177_Vga.jpg


DSC_0184_Vga.jpg


DSC_0183_Vga.jpg


DSC_0182_Vga.jpg


DSC_0179_Vga.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
i tried to find who made it and got a headache..:smilemad:

looks sorta like...
http://asianredheads.com/KW-33L/index.html

but also has pioneer design cues to it. either way i doubt rotel actually made it. im leaning towards trio-kenwood. its quite rare at least here in the U.S.

i'd restore that just for the shock value that most people have never even heard of one much less seen a rotel tube receiver.
 
btw...
i wouldnt play that receiver without recapping it. those gray cylindrical caps are notorious for shorting out and doing damage.
 
This may have sold as Martel brand as well 0- somebody here once said they had a Martel 150C with single-ended 6BQ5s. My guess (from appearance only) is that it was made by Trio / Kenwood.
 
aint that funny! i was just thinking the same thing when i ran across it on the bay and you post the same info.
 
Thanks for all the advice and links! I don't know much about Martel, so I'll start searching...

I believe the 6BQ5s were Westinghouse; I need to take a better look this week.
 
Nice, congrats! :thmbsp: If you search Martel here, you'll see a thread on my Martel FAX-100. Similar to yours, in that it's SE 6BQ5, but definitely a little different, probably a bit older, going by the model #.
 
The seller of the Martel (going by user name only...) is a regular at Audio Asylum. You might ask him if the manual has a schematic... (offer a few bucks for a copy or scan?)
 
I've seen the 'FAX' model number prefix attached to a couple of different tube amp/receiver brands, besides Rotel and the previously mentioned Martel, from scanning ebay.
If memory serves, FAX receivers may also have been sold under the Montgomery Wards or EJ Korvettes house brands.
I know I've seen at least a half dozen or more tube receivers with a 'FAX' model number, listed on fleabay in the past year.
OK one different brand, that was not mentioned yet, was 'Roland', which I believe is a division of Rotel, or is it the other way round?
 
Last edited:
Wow, a single ended receiver! That's a reason to get some horns. the ebay seller mentions some paperwork, I'd get in contact with him if I were you.
 
I had one of these when I was a kid. I remember writing to Rotel (about 40 years ago) and requesting an owner's manual. I was astounded when the manual, free of charge, arrived a few days later. I used it with my small Advents/A25s, AR turntable with Shure M91ED, just like everybody else. I bought it from Opus One's used shelf in Pittsburgh.
 
...Now I have to research and find a set of 6BQ5s or EL84s.

I have had great experience with TAD EL84-STR, much better than with NOS. Their SQ is excellent, they add some weight and control to the bass while at the same time being very detailed; without breaking the bank. They are basically an EL84M on steroids.
 
The appearance is very similar to my Monacor STA-300X.

IMGP1399.jpg


IMGP1283.jpg


Mine is push-pull 6BM8 and it sounds really good with a set of full range Philips speakers.
 
Back
Top Bottom