• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Direct drive TT speed wavers / oil question

Northern

New Member
I have a Mitsubishi DP-5 direct drive turntable. You can choose either 33 or 45 and then you can adjust the speed from there if needed. Since mine's been playing slightly too fast, I adjusted it down just a little. But it never stays the same speed/pitch... it wavers constantly.

I read that this could be fixed by lubricating it. My question is what kind of oil can I use for this? And also where do you lubricate (it might be obvious but I haven't taken the platter off yet).
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a Mitsubishi DP-5 direct drive turntable. You can choose either 33 or 45 and then you can adjust the speed from there if needed. Since mine's been playing slightly too fast, I adjusted it down just a little. But it never stays the same speed/pitch... it wavers constantly.

I read that this could be fixed by lubricating it. My question is what kind of oil can I use for this? And also where do you lubricate (it might be obvious but I haven't taken the platter off yet).
It could be something like that, but it also could be that the pot for adjusting the speed needs a good shot of cleaner. My Denon DP-1200 exhibited the same symptoms when I first got it and cleaning the pot fixed it completely.
 
Don't know that turntable but in some others the speed selector switch can get corroded. A shot or two of deoxit and some serious cycyling of the speed selector switch may do the trick.
 
I have some radio shack brand contact cleaner... that should probably do it right? I used to use that on the pots on a guitar amp.
 
Try it, but if it doesn't work, then get some DeOxit. Tuner cleaner removes dirt, but deoxit removes dirt and oxidation. It's online and in Guitar Center stores.
 
I got some DeOxit. It didn't seem to do anything as far as the speed controls. I didn't open it up, but I applied it from the outside on the speed-adjustment wheel and turned it back and forth a bunch. I did that twice.

It's still fast if I have the control turned all the way, and if I move it to slow it at all, it might sound ok for a half-minute then wavers.
 
If it's the switch you'll have to open it up to get to the switch with the deoxit.
 
Yes, you have to open it up and spray it on the internals of the pitch control and the 33/45 switch. Spraying on the surface will not work.
 
Back
Top Bottom