• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Survey: Highest Fidelity AND Most Reliable R2Rs of all time?

dbxdx5

Super Member
I'm hoping that I can tap the huge knowledge base here for a paper on reel-to-reels that I'm working on for a course in AV archiving and preservation. (This forum and Audiokarma will be credited in my references.) Here's my question: Among all of the consumer 4-track reel-to-reel machines made over the last forty some years, which five (5) would you rank as being the most mechanically reliable, gentlest on the tape, and highest in fidelity (S/N ratio, W&F, Frequency Response, your ears, etc.). There are a few I already have in mind, but I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts first, especially from jan_stevns, goldear, and KentTeffeteller. Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I'm no expert, only have experience with one R2R deck, but I have to say that my Teac A-2300S seems pretty darn reliable. Mine just required cleaning of dried grease and re-lubing to get back to 100% operational. Very easy to operate, nice to look at, and sounds great, too!
 
I only have one and have no desire to replace it---Revox A77mkIV. Great deck! Beautiful sound, simple to use and built like a tank.

Dave
 
I've had many open reel decks over the years from various models of Tandbergs to Dual, Grundig, Uher, Akai, Sony, Harman-Kardon, KLH/Nakamichi, Viking, B&O, National Panasonic and Pioneer just to name a few. Without a doubt, the hands down winner of the reliability and recording/playback quality of any reel to reel machine that I've ever owned is the TEAC A-2300s. I guess you can say the entire TEAC "A" series, since they all have the same basic build quality and design. The newer TEAC X series has excellent sound quality and improved tape handling but the reliability leaves quite a bit to be desired (worked on quite a few of these machines over the years). Just my opinon (and I've never had the pleasure of owning a Revox - someday :D).
 
Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who's replied so far--this is exactly the type of information I was hoping for. Keep it coming!
 
Some of my choices in 1/4 track home machines for dependability:

ReVox A 77
ReVox B 77
Teac A series decks.
Crown SX 700 and 800 series
Sony TC 850 (parts hard to come by but seldom needs them)
Tandberg TD 20A and 20A SE
Pioneer RT 1000 and 707 lines
 
Interesting that you are not interested in the pro machines, as their popularity has been blossoming with the "Tape Project" and a general interest in reel to reel machines the last few years since they have become so reasonable.
 
What kent said.

I don't consider the Crown a home machine in the strictest sense, but it's definitely awesome.
 
Well my Pioneer RT-707 and RT-909 are still both in original condition and yet for 30+ yrs old machines they are still fully functional and sound great!I expect that one of these days they will need work but until their time comes and it will,I'm enjoying them both each and every day..............:)
 
I'm hoping that I can tap the huge knowledge base here for a paper on reel-to-reels that I'm working on for a course in AV archiving and preservation. (This forum and Audiokarma will be credited in my references.) Here's my question: Among all of the consumer 4-track reel-to-reel machines made over the last forty some years, which five (5) would you rank as being the most mechanically reliable, gentlest on the tape, and highest in fidelity (S/N ratio, W&F, Frequency Response, your ears, etc.). There are a few I already have in mind, but I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts first, especially from jan_stevns, goldear, and KentTeffeteller. Thanks in advance!

In my opinion - and based on being a tech for many years, the best consumerdeck's through time is

looking at reliability :
Revox A77/B77 or Sony TC765 or TEAC A3300SX

even a high end deck like Tandberg TD20 might fit in here, i've had one myself, unfortunately it wasn't the most reliable deck, but sonically it did blow the Revox and TEAC to kingdom come - Sony TC765 is harder to beat

What would i buy today, if they where on the market ?? Sony 765, no doubt.
 
No votes for Otari? They're better in every respect than Teacs/Tascams. Compared to A/B77's, I'd say the Otari's sound as good and are probably more reliable since they're newer. Parts support seems good for all three brands.
 
No votes for Otari? They're better in every respect than Teacs/Tascams. Compared to A/B77's, I'd say the Otari's sound as good and are probably more reliable since they're newer. Parts support seems good for all three brands.

Not really a consumer oriented deck, more of a pro machine.
 
Interesting that you are not interested in the pro machines, as their popularity has been blossoming with the "Tape Project" and a general interest in reel to reel machines the last few years since they have become so reasonable.

Good question. The reason I'm not considering pro machines is because one of the premises in my paper is that some consumer machines can offer similar performance and reliability but at a lower price (and possibly with fewer hours of use on them). That said, I may start a second thread after this one is completed to get votes on pro and broadcast machines that aren't a) too huge, and b) too stratospherically priced.
 
No votes for Otari? They're better in every respect than Teacs/Tascams. Compared to A/B77's, I'd say the Otari's sound as good and are probably more reliable since they're newer. Parts support seems good for all three brands.

well - OP was interrested in consumer quartertrack decks - despite the quality OTARI or TASCAM's are not in that category - they aim higher, as do most of the "Tape Project" decks ... like Nagra, Stellavox, Studer - and a bunch more really good decks
 
Revox PR99 is considered a consumer deck (i'm guessing) and will hold it's own with most comers' (I would love to have one in my little collection).
 
Revox PR99 is considered a consumer deck (i'm guessing) and will hold it's own with most comers' (I would love to have one in my little collection).

Sorry - i beg to differ ... PR99 has XLR connectors for line in/out, and the ability to run in calibrated mode - that , and the 2track 7.5/15Ips do not signal "consumer" in my eyes.

still it is one h*ck of a deck ...... have to say so because :

revox_pr99_a.jpg
 
Pioneer rt 707 NO BELTS (just for the counter) my brother picked up one for me for $65.00 have done nothing but clean it works great
 
Back
Top Bottom