• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

6060 repair/refurb

JustinP

New Member
Got this receiver for free, saved it from the trash! Would have been a complete waste had I not saved it. First test to see if it works, all good. It powered on, only a couple front panel lamps seem to be burned out. Connected a pair of (basically worthless) Aiwa bookshelf speakers and started testing each source. Output is good, all sources give an output.

Now the bad :tears:

All sources have A LOT of static/hiss in the high frequencies, especially when volume at 25% and up.

The PHONO input seems to have been shorted by too high a signal being fed into it. This is very audible at any volume.

I'm guessing it has a DC offset problem, there is a 0.5v difference in output power between the left and right channels. Right channel has a very scratchy/hissy sound in the highs. Best I can describe is it almost sounds as if the amp is clipping, even at rather low volume.

Probably would greatly benefit from a good cleaning.. DeoxIt Bass, Treble, Balance and Volume. I was told over on Parts Express Tech Talk that I may want to consider re-capping. Also I've heard some of the Sansui's had very problematic Dolby boards that can wreak havoc on the whole system. This one may be suspect there as well.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
I could be wrong on this but the 6060 has inputs/outputs for an external Dolby adapter but no internal Dolby board. The 8080DB and 9090DB have internal Dolby boards. Sounds like a good cleaning will do wonders.
 
It doesn't have a Dolby board so no worries there. Get some deoxit and clean ALL the controls and the protection relay contacts and you should be good to go. Changing the electrolytic caps will improve the sound quality but get it working right first.

- Pete
 
If the protection relay contacts are oxidized/pitted I believe there are new exact replacements from Omron (available at mouser, digikey, and the like) and you should replace it if you go in later for a recap.
 
Also if it's using 2sc458's in the tone control board or amp board, change them out with a suitable substitute. The 458's get really noisy and contribute a lot of "HISS/scratchiness to the background. My 2000A got a load of 2sc2240's and the noise floor becamea BLACK HOLE.

Larry
 
I could be wrong on this but the 6060 has inputs/outputs for an external Dolby adapter but no internal Dolby board. The 8080DB and 9090DB have internal Dolby boards. Sounds like a good cleaning will do wonders.

Thank you very much for pointing this out!
I may have been looking at the wrong info before the last time I looked it up.
Just checked out the sticky here for DC Offset and Bias adjust. The .pdf that comes up for 5050 & 6060 is just what I need!
 
Also if it's using 2sc458's in the tone control board or amp board, change them out with a suitable substitute. The 458's get really noisy and contribute a lot of "HISS/scratchiness to the background. My 2000A got a load of 2sc2240's and the noise floor became a BLACK HOLE.

Larry

I'm guessing this one doesn't have those components, I don't see anything with 2sc458 as part number. I see 4 power transistors, 2 of which are NEC D188A and the other 2 are NEC B545A. There's Micron 2 watt and 3 watt power (emitter) resistors, Omron protection relay.
Capacitors used throughout this unit are a combination of Nippon Chemi-Con (black labels, mostly the larger ones in power circuits), Nichicon (blue labels, a couple on board F-2647 where bias adjust is made, some in tuner board F-2590 and a few in tone control board F-2646), and a large variety of Elna (orange and grey labels, mostly smaller caps used widely throughout).
 
Where do you all source parts for repair, refurb, recondition, upgrade etc. of your vintage systems?

I will post some pics here to show how my 6060 looks and all. But I know for a fact that it needs at least a few parts.

Of course, I'm no pro with audio equipment. As well I'm no electrical engineer (though I may possible go for a degree in said field!).. I need some new lamps for the front panel and a potentiometer for balance knob. Could probably obtain these from another 6060, most likely on eBay (fleabay, ePray.. whatever you wish to call it!!).
The front panel lamps are the fuse type and the originals are rated 7 volt 0.3 amp which seems to be very rare and unusual. Though I did find this one at Parts Express.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=070-118

Would it be worth time/money to upgrade to LEDs instead?
 
Ok so I still have not yet checked bias on this receiver, only for the fact that I noticed the schematic shows a different board than what is present in my system.

Schematic shows F-2648.. with only 3 fuses and one riser board (F-2647 with the bias trimmer pots).

I see F-2701 in my system with 5 fuses and 2 riser boards on it. The other being F-2700. On F-2700 board I see C610, a Nippon Chemi-Con 50v 47uF cap that appears to be going bad.. the plug doesn't look to be fully seated.

I'll do a search to see what I can find on any of this. Should it matter in the board difference for going about bias adjust? And to do this I don't want any source playing through the amp and volume all turned all the way down?
 
What makes you say the caps are going bad? The stuff under them is most likely glue, not electrolyte.

- Pete
 
Back
Top Bottom