• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another e-waste project -- CD ROM to CD player

titanstats

Go Habs Go!
Subscriber
Can't help it -- I have a weakness for geek projects sometimes (keeps me outa trouble!). This geek project involves yet more e-waste, which can be plentiful at the hospital where I work.

As a guy who used to do servers in another life, I have a fondness for all things Sun Microsystems. Most people won't understand this, but some will. :) A few months ago, some old Sun 611 boxes were abandoned in the hallway. Cutting edge long ago, these Utrawide 611s have little use these days, except to be shipped overseas and burnt on some polluted beach somewhere. They were empty, no drives -- 2 for HDs, 1 for ROMs. After passing these by for weeks, one day I couldn't help myself, and took 'em home (just HAS to be a use for these...).

One of these boxes I repurposed as a USB box for my music server/backup (another geeky thread here); the ROM box I decided to turn into a CD player after finding a SCSI CD drive with volume, FF, play, stop, and pause functions in a server in the e-waste yesterday. Walked by, said "hmmm" to myself, took it out and took it home. Figured that since I currently didn't have a CD player in my system, this would be a kinda cool nod to my computer past, and have pretty good geek cachet, as well.

Sun 611 boxes were external drive units for enterprise class computers, basically. They were built to last just about forever, made of substantial (read indestructible) plastic and steel -- and made in the US, too! They have nice little power supplies and a small, near silent built in fan that I have never seen fail. Horrendously expensive when new (enclosure & drive ~$1800, Plex drive ~$800), you could drop one of these buggers from a highrise and the box would survive; it's sad to think that these are garbage only 10 years later. Since the drive has built-in controls, no SCSI interface or computer is needed to make it play, or cycle through a CD -- just needs power.

First things first -- took the box apart, cleaned it until it looked brand new. Took out the power supply, took it apart and removed the SCSI controller board from the supply. Tapped into the molex 5v to leech power for the little fan, which had taken its power from the controller board. I tried the 12v supply first, but could hear the little fan whisper just a bit; as this drive will be cruising playing CDs, the lower fan speed will be just fine to keep the supply cool, and is dead silent. Took the drive apart, and cleaned it top to bottom; cleaned and regreased the rails and swabbed the lens -- time to see if it's alive.

attachment.php


Fired up all the parts, plugged in a pair of 'phones, a CD, and...life! Time to plug it into the main system for a whirl. It sounded OK, but not particularly special; this was to be expected from an old ROM drive, even a good old Plex drive. Next step was to bypass the conversion stage of the drive altogether.

attachment.php


Figured out which pins were the SPDIF out, rigged up a plug from spare parts. Found a nasty abandoned and gutted DVD player downstairs in storage, so scavenged the RCA jacks from that. The jack fit handily in the SCSI id selector spot, and screwed them in -- they nicely fit right inside the power supply chassis, so no problems there. Soldered the SPDIF plug to the RCA jack, and presto, we have a straight digital out, the drive now just reduced to a transport for the CD. Put it all back together, screwed it in tight; now it's time to hit the main system again.

attachment.php


Handily, I still have an SPDIF connection to my DAC (was just using the optical for my computer); one connection there, power cord to an isolation transformer (just for kicks, and it has a grounded IEC plug, so no harm done), and we're ready to give her a whirl. CD in, and woohoo, she's a playin'. :)

Sounds wonderful, is near indestructible, simple, small footprint, and has super retro geek appeal to me. As the drive is just a transport now, with straight digital out, the sound is as sweet as can be! Total cost of this phase of the Computer Geek Repurposing Project: $0.00, and several pieces of e-junk saved from the hazardous waste bins. Bet this Sun box never thought it'd spend its retirement days hooked up to a McIntosh playing tunes! :D The silly things I do when the GF is out of town...

attachment.php


Remember: reduce, reuse, and recycle -- oh, and repurpose, as well. :thmbsp:

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • P1010321 alt.jpg
    P1010321 alt.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 392
  • P1010320 alt.jpg
    P1010320 alt.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 389
  • P1010324 alt.jpg
    P1010324 alt.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 386
  • P1010331 alt.jpg
    P1010331 alt.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 391
  • P1010329 alt.jpg
    P1010329 alt.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Yea though I figure as the price of gear like that drops and it is seen to be expendable every few years, the quality and durability may decline to the point that maybe in a few years the scrapped computers will have nothing much worth anything to repurpose. Like when tube hi fi declined into cheap asian plastic cased throwaway junk. From quality consumer stereo to a couple of chips glued to a thin PC board in a pressed board enclosure. The asians actually set around with a fire and pop the chips out of that stuff to recycle. Then burn what is left on the beach which is probably stuff of utterly no value if they pass on it.
 
haha...was about to do the same thing w/an external sony dvd burner i've got. It's got onboard dac and rca outputs. Was reading yesterday on a project going on at diyaudio.com where they're rigging a universal controller to use w/any cd rom.

I mean there's gotta be one of these that can work as the perfect transport.... i'm thinking the cd-rom from mission impossible (metal tray).
 
Thanks guys -- was just something for fun, but it works well enough that I'll keep it in as my CD player (I have some other ones, but they are in storage).

stratmaster: It sounds good -- it's just a transport, so basically it sounds like my DAC. I don't think that I could tell it from any of my other players. I was going to put in regular audio outs as well, but stopped as there was not much point to that -- I don't really want to hear the DAC on the rom drive itself. I don't believe that there are any ROM drives made that you"d want to pipe the converted audio out of, at least not with any sort of high fidelity. The ROM drives (particularly older ones) made for enterprise class servers last just about forever, and will read almost anything -- I've found in the past that Plextor drives will read CDs that are in very poor condition (guess that's why they came at a premium).

There are some older CD ROM units out there that come with a full compliment of controls on the front (dunno why they ever stopped doing that); older NEC Multispin (and other) drives come to mind, and most of the Plextors. The Multispins have play/pause, stop/eject, forward/reverse, volume (but that won't work with SPDIF out), and an LCD display that shows track number, time, etc. Perfect candidates for use as a transport. I'm sure I'll eventually scrounge one up. :)

Like I said, it was a for-fun project, and it plays like a beauty, to boot. :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Great job! :thmbsp:

I'm a big fan of renovating, re-purposing and re-using stuff, including "scrap". It's fun, environmentally friendly, cheap, and often results in high-quality products that outperform the ofttimes cheap-quality junk you can buy today. PLUS you get a retro-chic (or in this case (pun intended :D) retro-geek-chic) style that suits you. Win-win all around.


I picked up a semi-rare Musical Fidelity DVD player with a heavy metal case that looks like the Sonic Frontiers stuff: solid aluminum and thick brass trimmings. The drive and some parts are still inside, but the "guts" are incomplete; some wires pulled and at least one circuit board pulled by some hack. I plan to use the drive (if it works) and get the hi-res DAC board that is recommended on the "Lampizator" site, and generally cobble together a CD player from different sources that way, but using this extremely solid DVD-player case. Still trying to decide on the best approach to the power supply; might use one from a computer source for the transport. My version of what you did, but with audio stuff, rather than computer stuff, and putting both drive and DAC in one box.
 
Like.

Years ago, my dad (small electronics manufacturer) had a bad batch of boards. I remember him in the back yard, heating the boards with a blowtorch and beating them over the top of a cardboard box to reclaim as much as he could.

I don't toss anything out without stripping the jacks, connectors, transformers, diodes, regulators, switches, fans, panel lights, etc., for projects just like this.
 
Great job! :thmbsp:



I picked up a semi-rare Musical Fidelity DVD player with a heavy metal case that looks like the Sonic Frontiers stuff: solid aluminum and thick brass trimmings. The drive and some parts are still inside, but the "guts" are incomplete; some wires pulled and at least one circuit board pulled by some hack. I plan to use the drive (if it works) and get the hi-res DAC board that is recommended on the "Lampizator" site, and generally cobble together a CD player from different sources that way, but using this extremely solid DVD-player case. Still trying to decide on the best approach to the power supply; might use one from a computer source for the transport. My version of what you did, but with audio stuff, rather than computer stuff, and putting both drive and DAC in one box.


I kind of ''put together'' a cd player after seeing this thread yesterday night. It would consist of an aluminum media player pc case from newegg, a new vintage cd rom 1x (japan made) and a remote controller w/lcd display I found on ebay plus the lampuncera dac from the lampizator site. I'd throw in an ebay tube buffer just for kicks and rig a switch to be able to use the dac independently using an aux input. I'd use a pc switching supply in the case for rom supply just to get things started. But no money so it's all in my head still :(
 
Very cool. I've used an NEC CDRom (the ones that use the caddy load style) off and on for years.
 
Glad to be a very minor inspiration to a couple of you guys - I'd be interested in seeing how your projects turn out. I'm using a Dacmagic right now, but after seeing belgianbrain's lovely work on his homebrew DAC, I'm going to build a matching DAC for these two units. I'll try to build it as much as possible from scavenged e-waste, and see what the lowest possible $$ value to construct one will be. :thmbsp:
 
Glad to be a very minor inspiration to a couple of you guys - I'd be interested in seeing how your projects turn out. I'm using a Dacmagic right now, but after seeing belgianbrain's lovely work on his homebrew DAC, I'm going to build a matching DAC for these two units. I'll try to build it as much as possible from scavenged e-waste, and see what the lowest possible $$ value to construct one will be. :thmbsp:

Yup, that's what I wanted to hear. :lurk:
 
Back
Top Bottom