• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

budget giant killer cd/dvd???

silversport

Super Member
...what is the latest or are there any budget priced giant killers out there for CD/DVD sound???...

...I remember the Toshiba SD39540/50/60 models and found them to sound pretty nice albeit with cheaper by the model build quality...

...I recall the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v1/v2...but these are a bit higher priced...I'm still thinking low budget price with high dollar sound...

...I recall the Philips 963SA being a great sounding "CD" player but these seem to be getting long in the tooth...the Sony S-7000 and S-9000 are too (no parts and by now problematic lasers, etc.) or am I wrong???

...how about today???...any budget price giant killers in the $150 down catagory???

...any experience you care to share would be appreciated...

Bill
 
Register to hide this ad
I was going to recommend the Yamaha DVD-S1800, which I picked up in January for less than $90, but I see that Amazon is now charging $249 for it. It was an absolute steal at the price I paid and is a great-sounding player and a good value at the current price. It plays CDs, DVDs, SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. You might want to check around the Web and see if another reliable seller has it for less than what Amazon is charging.
 
Denon 1940CI....still under a $100 bucks if you know where to look

I was going to recommend the same as I picked it up new for $80 a while back. Excellent. That super pricing seems to have disappeared in my quick searches.

If you cannot find this model, here's the next step up the Denon line and a killer price (if you're willing to buy a refurb).

http://www.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp=36683296&navid=155441519

Spec's here: http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3262.asp
 
I had seen some of your earlier posts on the Denon and Yamaha but when I looked (Googled) the prices had jumped...keep it coming please...whooops...I also noticed that I may have put this in the wrong section so if the moderators would like, feel free to move it...
Bill
 
There is site called Dakmart...claim to be an authorized Denon dealer has the 1940CI for $69 plus shipping....I have no experience with them however so I do not know how well their reputation is...
 
I see Dakmart has a lot of negative press but usually from someone trying to get service from them...perhaps not so much a problem on a NIB item...thanks,
Bill
 
A humble Philips CD-350, that can be found very cheaply, has an amazing quality/price ratio. A similar case is that of the Denon DCD-1500.
 
Back
Top Bottom