• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My Tape Stash

braxus

FeCr Type III
Since I finally got my Tandberg 3014A deck which will be my main deck, Im now able to start recording my tape library updated. As such I will be digging into my tape stash that I've been collecting for well over 3 years. Maybe 4. I came up with around 810 NOS mostly sealed blank tapes in my count. Anyway I'd thought I'd better take some pics of the tapes before I start pulling them out to use them. I still have a small number of tapes still coming. So here are the pics. Take a peak.

Tapes1.jpg


Tapes2.jpg


Tapes3.jpg


Tapes4.jpg


Tapes5.jpg


Tapes6.jpg


Tapes7.jpg


Tapes8.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
Wow, all those cassettes brings me back. I used to love opening up a fresh tape and putting it in the deck.
 
You've got about twice as many NOS blanks as me, Brax. I've got 800 or so used ones to erase and reuse.
 
Since I finally got my Tandberg 3014A deck which will be my main deck, Im now able to start recording my tape library updated. As such I will be digging into my tape stash that I've been collecting for well over 3 years. Maybe 4. I came up with around 810 NOS mostly sealed blank tapes in my count. Anyway I'd thought I'd better take some pics of the tapes before I start pulling them out to use them. I still have a small number of tapes still coming. So here are the pics. Take a peak.
...
Tapes6.jpg

...
Cool, I just bought one of these wooden cassette holders for 6.75 off of a CL find. I'm using mine to store my self-recorded and thrift/GW/GS pre-recorded cassettes. Mine holds 100 cassettes just like yours.

How many of the wooden cassette holders do you have?
 
Nice! I found those Sony UX-Pro tapes to work well in my Denon, though back in the day I couldn't afford buying examples of each of the better tapes to really hone in on a favorite. You've got a great opportunity to find exactly the best match for your deck. Have fun!
 
Nice pictures...you got me beat by a mile. Toward the end of my cassette recording era, I bought the 10 packs that came in soft cases (TDK) As you can tell I never went through the last of my SA-90's.

I tried various (high quality) tapes, but always went back to TDK. The worst I ever purchased were some BASF Performance Series (IIRC, but I know they were BASF) Halfway through the tape the highs dropped out, and the tape heads were brown from the oxide.

These are the only blank tapes I have left. The TDK are from 1990. I do have 300 recorded tapes (mostly TDK) from 1979-
 

Attachments

  • Picture 458.jpg
    Picture 458.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 42
Yes it took between 3 to 4 years to get what I have (and I got rid of around 200 tapes as well). Cost between $3000-$6000 buying most on Ebay and rest through sellers on another website. A third of all that money was used on shipping alone. I have another 13-23 tapes coming yet. And I still need some 60 minute tapes in midgrade tapes.
 
Nice! I found those Sony UX-Pro tapes to work well in my Denon, though back in the day I couldn't afford buying examples of each of the better tapes to really hone in on a favorite. You've got a great opportunity to find exactly the best match for your deck. Have fun!

I liked UX-Pro also. Or maybe I should say my deck liked (and still does, for that matter) that formula. And, the other Sony "UX" varieties, as well. I pretty much stuck with that, a Maxell thrown in now and then just for the hell of it. They all have held up well, considering being taken along in the car, boat, whereever in many cases!
 
I liked UX-Pro also. Or maybe I should say my deck liked (and still does, for that matter) that formula. And, the other Sony "UX" varieties, as well. I pretty much stuck with that, a Maxell thrown in now and then just for the hell of it. They all have held up well, considering being taken along in the car, boat, whereever in many cases!
I got a 2 pack of UX TYPE II 90 (sealed NIB) at the thirft for 50 cent.
 
Wow, great collection! I'd love to have some Maxell XLII (my Nak's calibrated for those) and some Sony... those work great on my other decks.
 
Nice stash, although I would be check the Memorex MRX-I tapes carefully before using them, I have had huge problems with those in the past. Also the TDK-KR tape in the first picture, those have an odd problem with rotting splices at the leader, rusting screws and the wheels turning brown. I mention this because I know of others that had this problem. Besides that, you should have some fun there. By the way, do I see a MCS Series cassette in there? I did not know those existed.
 
Nice, I just started in cassettes, I gotta find me some good blank tapes for my NAK LX-5..................... any suggestions?
 
Nice, I just started in cassettes, I gotta find me some good blank tapes for my NAK LX-5..................... any suggestions?

Any tape you see in my stash would be a good start. I don't keep bottom feeder tapes, but only mid to high grade tapes.
 
I thought Mr. Lin might want to look at these pics. I have added some more tapes to all this, but Im still mostly done now. I think Im getting close to 875 tapes now, or at least 850.
 
Back
Top Bottom