• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Painted my SL1200MK2

Zodia

Super Member
I know that is customary to post pictures of your turntable fixes upgrades paint jobs and what not.
So here is my Techy Sl1200MK2, that i got from thedelihaus (Paul).
I originally thought of giving it a nice glossy paint, but after some consideration, I decided to go with a flat black, it matches the tonearm and the rest of my "decor".
Oh yeah, I also replaced the Strobe LED's ( I realize it looks bright on the picture, and it is brighter than the original red ones, but not by much), left the Pitch control LED alone, because i didn't have the right size, not the right voltage either, so it will remain green until i get the right LED.
Oh yeah, I also fixed the Power switch button, the white plastic part that flips the actual switch was missing the spring and bearing, so i installed a spring from a mechanical pencil and a BB, had to open the hole on the plastic piece to accommodate the metal BB, polished the brass shaft on the knob...(I just realized how that sounds...:drunk:), and it operates smoothly now.
So here it is a before and after picture.

IMG_1513-1.jpg


IMG_1585.jpg


It's not fancy, but i am proud of myself, for actually finishing something that i started :D .
So be kind it was my first paint job on a TT, and yes flat paint is very easy to spray, and even that i tend to screw up... :yes: :scratch2:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Nice job Doesn't it make you feel good when you do a project like this? That's how i felt when I did my first 1800MKII it was in pretty bad shape when i got it. strobe LED's were not functioning correctly power cord had been spliced inside, tonearm was bad as well platter had tons of corrosion on it etc..................

Of coarse seller said it was perfect..............

Are you thinking of trying to replace the lettering on the plinth?
 
Now you got me. I have a recent thread here in the TT forum asking about painting a SL 1600 MK 2 plinth and with AKer's help have pretty much a game plan. Paul and Stanton a big help due to their experience -- I'm goin' for it, thanks for the push and nice job!
 
very nice indeed!!!
you should post the step by step if you have it. it would be invaluable for those who would want to diy one in a similar way.

:thmbsp:


regards,
asmd.
 
Yeah! I was looking at the first picture and reading your description and when I got to the flat black part...I thought eww, that's gonna look yuck. Then I scrolled down a little and wow, that looks damn cool! The strobe LED looks real good and sets off the paint job nicely. Congrats!
 
Thank you all for your kind words.

Unfortunately i didn't think about taking pictures for a step by step, sorry.

I just wanted to get it done :D (no patience), but here's a good tip, for optimum results strip down the original pain completely, after that clean it with a good pain thinner, followed by a wet sand, let it dry. I didn't do this the first time and had to strip it all down again, because i got fish eye all over it, maybe due to grease or oil on the plinth (sanding alone did not remove it).

For the LED (if anyone is interested I used radioshack's 5mm blue LED 3.7v 2600cmd, the output voltage (that i measured )was 1.76v, so they are not overly bright ( I just hope i am lucky, and they don't burn out within 6 months, like some of the reviews stated on the Ratshack website).

And yes, the tonearm was indeed done by Paul (thedelihaus), as a matter of fact, he installed a few new items on it.

New center spindle bearing
KAB wax bearing isolator
new SL1210MK2 arm and bearings
foam insert in tone arm stub
KAB tonearm stub end plug
shrinkwrap arm tube
Isokinetik Litz tonearm wire re-wire
upgraded RCA terminations
modified tonearm weight
new hinges
rebuilt power switch
New pitch slider plate in black
 
Now you got me. I have a recent thread here in the TT forum asking about painting a SL 1600 MK 2 plinth and with AKer's help have pretty much a game plan. Paul and Stanton a big help due to their experience -- I'm goin' for it, thanks for the push and nice job!

Best part of yours is the lettering on the control strip. If yours has any scratches you can sand them out I had to on one of mine then polish they look great when done.
 
Did Paul 'heatshrink' the arm?

I did. I also re-wired the arm, and I removed the end stub set tab and aux. weight plate, filled the end stub tube with high density foam, and reinstalled the end stub set tab and aux. weight plate.

I used "O" rings on the end weight where there usually is a thin rubber grip band, and I installed KAB's anti-resonance end stub cap.

All this is cheap to do.
 
Back
Top Bottom