• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Something in kappas 8.2 series II bass-reflex - only in mine?

exik

New Member
Hi there !
I would like to ask the kappa 8.2 II owners, are there some white "sponges" in both bass-reflex ports of your kappas? If you put on your hand into bass-reflex there should be something like "sponge"
I don't realy know if those things should be there or maybe previous owner just put it there..

aww.. and if you could also say how looks your damping material in enclosure, because in my pair, there is alot of it.. Something like white wool and yellowish sponge..
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I bought my Kappas 8.1 series II yesterday. Therefore I'm a newbie to the speakers. No materials in the front firing ports. This includes about 4" I could reach past the 90 degree vertical bend in the port. No mention in the user manual about the port or whether any sound absorption material is included by Infinity.

No info about interior dampening as have not opened the speakers.

Ken
 
Thank you,
I would be glad if someone with rear bass reflex will check the bass reflex ports.
It is realy important for me.
 
That was probably put in the rear port by the previous owner. Owners of ported speakers, usually do a lot of experimenting with their speaker ports. The white stuffing is normal in all the Infinities that I have ever seen. Most of the time, rear ported speakers are the ones that people stuff, with a variety of different materials. This is mostly for two reasons: First, the stuffing on front ported speakers may be visible thru the grills and some people don't like that. The second reason, is that rear ported speakers are more effected by how close they are to the wall behind them, and stuffing reduces the amount of bass that is reflected by the back wall. It changes the bass response, making it possible to taylor the sound to what the listener wants, for a particular application.
 
Great to hear that. Thank you very very much for preoccupation of my problem.
I will be 100% relaxed if someone else who's got kappas 8.2i II check his bass-reflexes..
 
Back in the 90's, I had some hands on experience with the Kappa 8.2's and I didn't see any port plugs. At the time, I must admit that I wasn't looking deep into the port for anything, but I am 100% sure that the 8.2's that I was testing, did not have any plugs. I know that because I could clearly hear the port working fine, during some listening tests.

It is still possible that your set might be different. I know that some speaker companies did offer plugs for some of their ported models. I recall seeing a few speakers, mostly European models, that came with a removable plug from the factory. It might be that Infinity offered a plug for some of their markets, but I've never seen or heard of any.

I currently own Crescendo 3009's, which are also rear ported, and are in the same price range as your 8.2's, and they did not come with a plug when new. None of the front ported Kappa II's that I have seen have had plug.
 
Last edited:
Ok guys, I've got some photos of this thing and interior of my kappa 8.2i.
Is it the way how it should looks like? The way how should looks bass-reflex enclosure?? Look at the damping material how many of it there is and how it is pushed in. You can also see a print of magnet on the damping material in the first picture... After removeing "sponge" damping material there is another kind of damping material, smoething like white wool.. and after removeing all of materials there is bass-reflex with some plug in it..

Take a look:



Please help... I don't know what to do with this..
 
Last edited:
exik,

Thanks for the pictures. I was expecting a port plug of some kind, but that "sponge" is normal. I have the same stuff in my Infinity Sterling 2005's, which use the white dampening material as well. Oddly enough, my Crescendos don't have it, but have more of the white filling instead. It could be that infinity just stuffed speakers with whatever dampening materials they had at hand, at the time of production. I would leave it as is.

If you are looking for tighter bass, you can add additional dampening material, until it fills the port hole completely.

Good luck.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for reply..
And what do you think about dampening material in enclosure? Has it been put by factory or someone put it there. There is QUITE a lot of it. It is hard to put woofer into enclosure because of this yellow sponge..
Do someone with KAPPAS 8.2i has got the same amount of material?
btw. I strike that bass-reflex port works very weak because of it all. It is realy hard "breathing"
 
Hi exik,

In my experience with Kappa II's and Crescendo's, they are both stuffed pretty good with dampening material, for speakers in that price range. I have seen the stuff in your pictures before, when I've refoamed Infinities. Many times, I've had to move the stuff, in order to put the woofers in again. If you want to experiment by taking some dampening material out, from in and around the bass port, it will increase your bass output, but the bass will be looser.
 
So you mean it is all ok? :) That's good, if so, I will put woofer back and will not touch anything. I hate if something is not as factory it made so if everything is ok I am very happy :)
I worried because this dampening material is not as in the bass-reflex enclosure shoud be. As far as I know, there shouldn't be ANY dampening material around the bass-reflex. It should be ONLY on the rear wall of enclosure.. but as we can see, this is only theory..
 
Yes, I think you are ok. I've seen many speaker brands that only use the walls for insulation, but most decent Infinity speakers, are going to be nicely packed with dampening material.

Put the woofer back, and enjoy...
 
You do not want to block the port with anything. That would adversely affect the bass response. Bass reflex speakers do well with a heavy lining of insulation around the inside of the box. That will effectively lower the resonant frequency. Don't pack a ported box full of stuffing. That will kill it's bass. It needs a box.
 
my rsll have fiberglass fill material in woofer chambers

I saw this when I removed them to get all four woofers refomed.
relax, if they sound good all is fine,:banana::banana:
 
stuffing the ports. kappa 8.1

just saw this interesting thread and looked inside my Kappa 8.1. indeed the ports are stuffed with white material at the top part. invisible from outside.

obviously intentional since it matches other kappa owners experience, but I find despite a powerful amp and much experimentation with placement that the kappa's bass is not quite tight or quite loud enough.

is it worth taking out the cotton like materials from top inner ports, and the foam above the port (not the foam on the cab sides or above the woofer, just the lower piece of foam)?

any feedback welcome

thanks
tb
 
just saw this interesting thread and looked inside my Kappa 8.1. indeed the ports are stuffed with white material at the top part. invisible from outside.

obviously intentional since it matches other kappa owners experience, but I find despite a powerful amp and much experimentation with placement that the kappa's bass is not quite tight or quite loud enough.

is it worth taking out the cotton like materials from top inner ports, and the foam above the port (not the foam on the cab sides or above the woofer, just the lower piece of foam)?

any feedback welcome

thanks
tb

Welcome to AK I see you have been around a while but this is your first post.
The infinity models I use all have polyfill in them. I would leave the damping
material in the speakers. thats my .02 cents worth.
 
just saw this interesting thread and looked inside my Kappa 8.1. indeed the ports are stuffed with white material at the top part. invisible from outside.

obviously intentional since it matches other kappa owners experience, but I find despite a powerful amp and much experimentation with placement that the kappa's bass is not quite tight or quite loud enough.

is it worth taking out the cotton like materials from top inner ports, and the foam above the port (not the foam on the cab sides or above the woofer, just the lower piece of foam)?

any feedback welcome

thanks
tb

I have kappa 8.1 & 6.1. They both have similar placements of the foams, hower, the foams do move around over time or during transport. It may a good idea to check on the foam placements, if one has not done this already. My kappa 8.1 did have the white spungy port plug (glued i think, tried pulling but would not come out) where the kappa 6.1 did not. They are both series II.

One thing I did play around to tighten up the bass or reveal the midbass detail is to place the polyfills in the bottom chamber evenly on both sides. Pulled all of the polyfills out from the right side and divided into two equal parts and place back on both sides of the bottom chamber. Press down firmly to the bottom so it does not fluff up too high. If I remember correctly, polyfills filled right below the opening of the ports.

Now, place two trapozoidal foams again the top and bottom of the woofer chamber (make sure it seals & fits the cabinet). then place the rectangular foam at the back of the cabinet against the xo (right against the cabinet wall) behind the wires running vertically. The rectangular foam is normally right behind the woofer pressed against the speaker magnet/frame from the factory on my set. Install back the woofer and enjoy.

This help to tighten up the bass or reveal more of the mid-bass detail by reducing the boominess.

You can always place everything back to how it was if you don't like the result.
 
Back
Top Bottom