• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

anybody remember Philco Hip Pocket records?

Dan ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Peanut Head
They were all the rage for kiddies for a bit in the 60's! Dynaflex had nothing on these babies! :lmao:

This one's The Fallen Angels, a group from the D.C. area that had (and still has) a fairly strong cult following.

attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0149.jpg
    DSCN0149.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 950
Register to hide this ad
I have two still-sealed Hip-Pocket records! "98.6" by Keith and "Tell Mama" by Etta James.

They used to sell them in vending machines, right?
 
Did`nt records like that use to come in boxes of Honeycomb cereal ?

I recall thin plastic records actually being affixed to the backs of cereal boxes. You cut them out and had to use a coin to secure them to the platter. I have one of the Monkees' cereal records in my collection, and remembering having a Jackson 5 one when I was a little kid.

http://colgems.blogspot.com/2010/08/this-month_06.html

honeycomb.jpg


MonkeesCerealBox2.jpg


cereal45.jpg
cbB.jpg


cbmany.jpg
 
Last edited:
I recall thin plastic records actually being affixed to the backs of cereal boxes. You cut them out and had to use a coin to secure them to the platter. I have one of the Monkees' cereal records in my collection, and remembering having a Jackson 5 one when I was a little kid.
[/I]

I remember those. Great sound!!! Of course, you had to put up with the snap, crackle and pop. That was back when we bought cereal for the prize, not the taste or nutrition.
 
I'm pretty sure there are at least two Beatles hip records. I think Hey Jude is on one.
 
I recall thin plastic records actually being affixed to the backs of cereal boxes. You cut them out and had to use a coin to secure them to the platter. I have one of the Monkees' cereal records in my collection, and remembering having a Jackson 5 one when I was a little kid.

http://colgems.blogspot.com/2010/08/this-month_06.html

honeycomb.jpg


MonkeesCerealBox2.jpg


cereal45.jpg
cbB.jpg


cbmany.jpg


Ya I remember these. I had Jackson 5 (ABC I think) as a kid as well. Must be rare as hens teeth now.
 
Of course we were tracking (At least with the extra nickel and two pennies) at around 8 grams so it was ok! I never caught any of the hip pocket ones, wish I had. I was the right age for them, just never saw them before now.
 
The only place we could purchase Hip Pocket records around here was at OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire & Supply Co.) who was an authorized Philco-Ford dealer. They sold several of the little phonographs and lots of the hip pocket records to go with.
 
Back
Top Bottom