• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Herbie Hancock LP with Hole in the cover?

Bazookatooth

Trouble
So i picked up a Herbie Hancock - Perfect Machine LP unopened.

But it looks like someone punched a hole in the top left corner. It's a perfectly round hole. The vinyl isn't damaged, but the cover is.

Is this a common thing? maybe for hanging them on a line or something?

What does it do to the value of the record?

The hole is 1/4in in diameter.
 
Register to hide this ad
Yeah, I have a few cut-outs. Nothing wrong with them other than the damage to the cover.
 
Yep, sounds like a legitimate cut-out! :yes: They usually have either neat round holes punched in them, or cut-off corners (scissored off at an angle), or sometimes a simple notch in the edge.

I ran across one variation of this, which was applied to a slew of CDs, as well as some LPs: they'd been lined up and an electric circular saw was "buzzed" along the top edges near the corner, crudely gashing a rectangular notch into each of the jewel cases, and in a few instances into the edges of the discs themselves. This was NOT for selling them cheaply, though: these had been confiscated by customs agents when they were being smuggled to avoid import duties, and after court actions were finished (:scratch2:... and possibly with a little back-door corruption, since normally they'd be "destroyed"? :dunno:) were later sold to a dealer who had close ties to the customs department. I bought a few, and transplanted them into new cases. Nothing to do with the usual reasons for cut-outs, but the effect was the same.

As long as the disc is okay, there is no harm in buying these, but you should pay less for them, since the covers have (cosmetic) damage. They can be a little bit cheaper way to get good music!
 
Last edited:
I don't think I've seen a cut out with a hole punched, they always look like a tablesaw cut a short notch near the corner when I see them. I remember when stores like Kmart would have bins full of them for a buck.
 
I've seen every kind of cutout...clipcorners, saw cuts, neat punched hole near the corner...plus some with a drilled hole thru the label about 1" or so from the spindle hole. Some promos got a clip corner as well...along with a stamp or label.
 
i've also wondered about that.... I have a couple of these, as long as the cover is still nice and the lp plays well I don't mind, hell even if the cover is wasted I don't mind sometimes
 
Is the hole machine, or die cut?
What label is it on?

If it is an EMI associated label, it may be a 'designated promo'. And not a 'cut out', per se'.
 
I remember that CDs given to stores or radio stations would have the cut out in the spine of the jewel case. I used to have a lot of those
 
I've got a Nancy Sinatra album from 1967 (Sugar...Nancy's in a bikini on the cover) that has a small brass rivet in the upper left corner identifying it as a cutout. The album is on Reprise; not sure how long this practice was in use for but certainly it's far superior to the normal notches, holes, snipped corners etc etc.....
 
I've got a Nancy Sinatra album from 1967 (Sugar...Nancy's in a bikini on the cover) that has a small brass rivet in the upper left corner identifying it as a cutout. The album is on Reprise; not sure how long this practice was in use for but certainly it's far superior to the normal notches, holes, snipped corners etc etc.....

Ahh memories!
I remember seeing those, they were around up until in the mid 70s.

IIRC, I think it was only Reprise that did that with the rivets. Though it may have been Warner Brothers, as well.
 
Slightly off topic, but I call remaindered books "cutouts." They are marked usually with a black magic marker along the top or bottom edge of the pages after being returned to the publisher as unsold and then sold at a greatly-reduced price. Up until a few years ago, you could find pretty good first editions of modern fiction like this, although the mark reduces their value.
 
I have hundreds of cut-outs. Nearly all of them were bought at PX's in Germany. From what I understand, the PX's ordered records based upon Billboard rankings, but the demographics of the US Army at the time resulted in rock-n-roll, punk, new wave, etc., being untouched in favor of R&B, country and Latin music. At that time ('78-86), new records were ~$3.50 and they got marked down on a specific pattern - first down to $1.50, then $.77, then $.25 and then $.05. Each markdown resulted in a new hole getting punched. I bought lots of great records for $.25 and $.05. I remember specifically buying five Rickie Lee Jones debut albums for a grand total of a quarter and giving 4 away to friends in the parking lot.
 
Back
Top Bottom