I picked up a Thoren's TD160 Super off a nice gentleman from the New England area, and it arrived today.:scratch2:
When I picked up the box to move it to an open area for unpacking, I noticed that I could depress the top a good 4".
As I opened the box, I realized that he shipped the table with the dustcover attached, the tone arm with a tiewrap around it and with the stylus exposed.
The good news he did remove the platter and packed it underneath as instructed and did remove the counter weight from the tone arm.:yes:
Packed loosely in a box with strips of styrofoam and peanuts with some bubble wrap thrown in the box randomly the TD160 Super made it in pretty good shape.
The table is in very good shape with the usual film and surface dirt to be cleaned tomorrow. I have a fresh belt, and a bearing polish kit so I will go through it top to bottom and see what I have. The rim of the platter will need the usual attention, and the dustcover will need the some attention as well. The table functions as it should, so I am hoping for the best. Being a Moving Coil kind of guy, I am going to have to explore the high compliance side of cartridges as the Thorens TP16 MkIII arm is very light at 7.5 gr effective mass. More to follow!
Regards,
Jim
When I picked up the box to move it to an open area for unpacking, I noticed that I could depress the top a good 4".

As I opened the box, I realized that he shipped the table with the dustcover attached, the tone arm with a tiewrap around it and with the stylus exposed.

The good news he did remove the platter and packed it underneath as instructed and did remove the counter weight from the tone arm.:yes:
Packed loosely in a box with strips of styrofoam and peanuts with some bubble wrap thrown in the box randomly the TD160 Super made it in pretty good shape.
The table is in very good shape with the usual film and surface dirt to be cleaned tomorrow. I have a fresh belt, and a bearing polish kit so I will go through it top to bottom and see what I have. The rim of the platter will need the usual attention, and the dustcover will need the some attention as well. The table functions as it should, so I am hoping for the best. Being a Moving Coil kind of guy, I am going to have to explore the high compliance side of cartridges as the Thorens TP16 MkIII arm is very light at 7.5 gr effective mass. More to follow!
Regards,
Jim
Last edited: