• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Coral BX-200 refurb

bamaboy

Active Member
I got these a while back for $9.99. I began to pull em apart this weekend to see whats inside. The drivers look brand new. Wasnt expecting the tweeter to look like this. I like the interesting look of the grills. The cloth was stained pretty bad, and I couldnt get it clean. So, i soaked it in coffee for a while and let it dry. This did a pretty decent job of hiding the stains, and the smell is that of a dark roast! Thoughts on these speakers?

attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Coral BX-200 - 01.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 01.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 808
  • Coral BX-200 - 02.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 02.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 772
  • Coral BX-200 - 03.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 03.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Coral BX-200 - 04.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 04.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 761
  • Coral BX-200 - 05.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 05.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 772
Register to hide this ad
attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Coral BX-200 - 10.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 10.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 675
  • Coral BX-200 - 09.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 09.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 941
  • Coral BX-200 - 08.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 08.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 671
  • Coral BX-200 - 07.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 07.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 669
  • Coral BX-200 - 06.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 06.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 699
attachment.php


attachment.php


before the coffee treatment.......
attachment.php


after coffee.......
attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Coral BX-200 - 21.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 21.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 615
  • Coral BX-200 - 18.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 18.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 619
  • Coral BX-200 - 13.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 13.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 622
  • Coral BX-200 - 12.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 12.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 640
  • Coral BX-200 - 11.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 11.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 651
more to come on these.....

I plan on refurbing the cabs as well, this project will take some time, i will update as I make progress. Curious to see how they sound.
 
I had a pair of those a few years back.
I think Herman Munster was the previous owner.
My impressions?

The good:
I thought that the Alnico horn loaded tweeters were the stars of the show.....really good, IMO.
The mid-range was detailed and forward, vocals were quite good.
Super-efficient, you could run these to silly-loud sound levels with a watt of power or so.

The bad:
Someone stole the bass?

I replaced that 2uf capacitor, with a Bennic Poly if I remember correctly?

Good luck with your restoration!
Steve
 
I have a pair of these on the cue. Mine are in really good cosmetic shape. I suppose these would sound good with a little subwoofer on a desk system? I love the grills. My wife does too!
 
Thanks for the info, i have a couple of powered subs i guess i can run with them to help find that stolen bass. thx.
 
Doing the same to BX-300's

Hey Bamaboy,
I'm doing the same thing to a couple of BX-300's that I picked up recently. They don't have the fancy grillwork, but the build is similar. They are a little light in bass, but they are clear and crisp sounding.
 
I also have a pair. Good shape & paid $15 for the pair at a thrift store. Lite on bass. The tweeter isn't affected hardly at all by any treble gain. Maybe the caps are bad. I am considering replacing the woofers with Daytons (already tried) and the tweets with Minimus 7 tweets & crossovers (already tried, too). So the guts could be for sale.
 
Coral made some very nice drivers, but got lazy with the crossovers in their own speakers. Other companies (like Kanazawa) did some pretty amazing things with Coral drivers. You might want to look into building a proper crossover to get the best from the drivers and cabinets.
 
and heres the finished product

pics taken with Canon Powershot SD1200 IS digital Elf 10.0 megapixels.

havent really had a good listen yet, gonna run them with my sx440 in the bedroom. I gotta figure out some stands.

the coffee bath
attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Coral BX-200 - 29.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 29.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 476
  • Coral BX-200 - 27.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 27.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 456
  • Coral BX-200 - 26.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 26.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 456
  • Coral BX-200 - 24.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 24.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 468
  • Coral BX-200 - 23.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 23.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 469
attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php



they sure turned out purdy
 

Attachments

  • Coral BX-200 - 30.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 30.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 431
  • Coral BX-200 - 31.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 31.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 438
  • Coral BX-200 - 32.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 32.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 431
  • Coral BX-200 - 34.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 34.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Coral BX-200 - 35.jpg
    Coral BX-200 - 35.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
On the subject of Coral Speakers, just snagged some BX-201s. Look just like the more-common BX-200s, but can't find any specs on them.

I doubt if there's significant difference. Here are BX-200 specs:

BX-200 data from http://audio-database.com/CORAL/speaker/bx-200-e.html
System 2 ways, 2 speakers, a sealing system, and a book shelf type
Use unit
For low-pass : 16cm corn type
For high regions : Phon type
Impedance 8ohms
Play frequency band 50Hz - 20000Hz
The maximum input 15W
Crossover frequency 4000Hz(6dB/oct)
Output sound pressure level 98dB/W
Dimensions Width 268x height 368x depth of 220mm
Weight 4.5kg

One difference: the label on the BX-201s claims a maximum "music power" input of 30 watts, but it drops the '15 continuous' spec. A marketing revision has happened, at least. Identical frequency response specs remain.

BX-201label.jpg


Drivers look very similar, but Coral branding and other specifics have been added to markings. 2 mfd crossover capacitor is unchanged:

BX-201drivers.jpg
 
Hi all - I'm ready to go to work on these and have taken them apart and have new caps in possession. Question: I want to keep the original horn structures, so what's a good replacement tweeter that will fit in the existing tweeter horns?

Many thanks for your expertise and patience
 
Back
Top Bottom