• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Harris CB 1201 Broadcast Turntable Manual

CharlieWhite

Active Member
Does anyone here own a Harris CB 1201 Broadcast Turntable? If so, do you have the manual for it?

I finally got some time to work on mine. I put new motor mounts on it.

Does the Ball Bearing come out of the platter shaft? The end of the platter is flat.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Some pics
 

Attachments

  • 100_3243.jpg
    100_3243.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_3244.jpg
    100_3244.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_3246.jpg
    100_3246.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_3247.jpg
    100_3247.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_3249.jpg
    100_3249.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 59
gotta a magnet? a metal scribe pen with a rare earth magnet end would quickly find out for you; so would turning it upside down.
 
I tried and tried to free it up. I let oil soak in for awhile but it wont budge. Then I had it turned upside down for a couple of months. I'm thinking it might not be meant to come out.
 
Entirely possible. I wish I could speak with authority, but I can't. I've just spent a fair amount of time pittering around with these old spinners, and am interested in learning about this deck of yours.
I have a pressed-in bearing on the end of a spindle on one of my old decks. This one of yours might just be intended to not move either?
Is there any way to get to the underside of the bearing, like a removable thrust plate?
By now, I'm sure you've tried that as well.

nice deck project! best of luck with it.
 
Entirely possible. I wish I could speak with authority, but I can't. I've just spent a fair amount of time pittering around with these old spinners, and am interested in learning about this deck of yours.
I have a pressed-in bearing on the end of a spindle on one of my old decks. This one of yours might just be intended to not move either?
Is there any way to get to the underside of the bearing, like a removable thrust plate?
By now, I'm sure you've tried that as well.

nice deck project! best of luck with it.

Not sure if there should be another ball bearing or not. This is how I received it. It seems like the spindle shaft will come off to some extent but I don't have the proper tools right now. It is really on there. I tried with the biggest wrench I had but it seemed like it was going to destroy more than it was going to help. Plus I would hate to go through all that if its just not meant to come off.

I have had some stuck ball bearings in shaft before but never to this extent. Thats why I am thinking it doesn't come out. The ball bearings in my 2 Proctor Soundex TT's were really stuck. However, those are from the late 1940's/early 1950's. Judging by this style of TT, I am guessing it is from the late 70's early/mid eighties. I can't imagine the bearing being that stuck considering it looks like it was well taking care of and not exposed to any type of moisture.

Unless someone can chime in that has the manual or experience with the TT, I think I will wait until I come into possession of a copy.
 
I'm still looking for one. I have the other Gates table manuals but not this one. I still maintain a few in contract engineering work.
 
Well, I tracked down the manual about a month ago.

I have also been tinkering with it. It seems that whoever owned it prior to me raised the platter spindle. I have tried and tried to lower it but it won't budge. I think the 'Hulk' altered it. However it runs at correct speed on the 33 & 45 option and sounds great, very quiet. When I engage the 78 option, it drops the idler wheel to low and loses contact with the platter. That doesn't really matter as I don't have any 78's or even plan to use that option. I am disappointed though because I wanted it completely functional. Only flaw by looking at it is that the platter is higher than it should be. Not really a big deal because of being able to adjust the height of the tonearm.

The manual does state not to ever try to adjust the platter spindle. So, I am just leaving it be as I would really hate to eff it up.

Chuckles :smoke:
 
Entirely possible. I wish I could speak with authority, but I can't. I've just spent a fair amount of time pittering around with these old spinners, and am interested in learning about this deck of yours.
I have a pressed-in bearing on the end of a spindle on one of my old decks. This one of yours might just be intended to not move either?
Is there any way to get to the underside of the bearing, like a removable thrust plate?
By now, I'm sure you've tried that as well.

nice deck project! best of luck with it.

The ball bearing does not come out. It is indeed fixed into the end.
 
Gates CB1200

Maybe you have already solved your problem but if not may be this is helpful.

I have posted the same post on Vinyl engine also.

I very recently got a Gates CB1200. Judging from your pictures ours are basically of the same construction.

On mine the bottom part of the bearing well can be removed. It is threaded. The ball bearing is lose and immersed in oil at the bottom. It is not stuck in any way. My spindle has a recess at the middle, probably to serve as a oil reservoir.

The ball bearing is the largest I have seen 19mm. When removed from the bottom you can drop back in place from top of the bearing well. It is a tight fit but it falls into place without force

If yours is still stuck I would try various sorts of solvents.

You mention that the platter sits to high. That could be explained by the ball being stuck not at the bottom but somewhat up in the bearing well. If that is the case may be you can apply some gentle pressure to it after having it sitting with some kind of solvent for some time.

The hight of my spindle is 76.4 mm. From the bottom of the well to the top I measured 87.1mm. When you ad the the 19mm to the 76.4mm you get 95.4. This means that there is a 8.3mm clearance in my player. The top of the platter sits ca 13mm over the top plate. If you measure your equivalents maybe we can get closer to solving your problem.

If you want me to I can post some pictures of my player ones I have figured out how to.

Stefan
 
Gates CB1200

Here are some pictures of my CB1200
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0588.jpg
    DSCN0588.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0587.jpg
    DSCN0587.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN0579.jpg
    DSCN0579.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN0590.jpg
    DSCN0590.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN0577.jpg
    DSCN0577.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 62
If anyone ever did come up with the manual for the 1201 it would be very much appreciated if it could be posted on this thread or to the AK Digital Docs.
 
Trying to line up projects to finish up in 2018 and still looking for a 1201 manual if anyone has one..

There are spacers between the mounts and plate I think? Maybe not..

If anyone has a 1201 and could verify that there are spacers it would be appreciated.

Edit: Now thinking there are not spacers after pondering this some more, the mounts ride on the bottom plate:

Edit 2: There is a something used with these motor mounts according to the manufacturer. Metal snubbing washers, 0.31 thickness.

IMG_1563.JPG
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom