• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New spikes for my Duals

classic carl

Without Music, Life Would B FLAT.
Subscriber
New spikes (feet) for my Duals

As some of you already know, I picked up a Dual 1229 a couple of weeks ago with an Actuex 312 STR cart, from the original owner on CL, that had been stored for 20 years. I shipped the table off to Bill at fixmydual for the refurb treatment and a new strobe. Bill sent me an email today and my table is on it's way back to me. :banana:

While it was away, I decided to replace the square wooden dowels that served as feet on the base with some isolation cones I had laying around in a drawer. A couple of the stock feet were splitting and were also loose. I had to make a new frame to install the cones. I used 3/4" square dowels for the long pieces and 5/8" for the short pieces. I attached the dowels to each other with screws and the frames were glued in place with Elmer's Wood Glue. I also applied lemon oil on the wood several times. See the photos.

When the 1228 returns, I'm sending Bill my 1249, that I bought new in 1975, and I'm going to install cones on the 1249 base while it's away. Total cost for both was about $6, excluding the spikes.
 

Attachments

  • CAS_2769_dual 1228 base.jpg
    CAS_2769_dual 1228 base.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 123
  • CAS_2773_dual 1228 base.jpg
    CAS_2773_dual 1228 base.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 88
  • CAS_2774_dual 1228 base.jpg
    CAS_2774_dual 1228 base.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 64
  • CAS_2778_dual 1228 base.jpg
    CAS_2778_dual 1228 base.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 75
  • CAS_2779_dual 1228 base.jpg
    CAS_2779_dual 1228 base.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
What kind of spikes are those? They look really good! :mewants:

Actually, they came with some VTI audio racks I bought for my main system. Each shelf is self contained and stacks on top of each other with spikes. I decided not to use the spikes on the bottom (floor) shelf, so I had 12 left over.

Thanks for all of the nice comments guys. I'm not the handiest guy, so If I can do it...
 

Attachments

  • CSP_4533_VTI racks.jpg
    CSP_4533_VTI racks.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 32
  • CSP_5041_left stack.jpg
    CSP_5041_left stack.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 38
Since I last posted, I had both of my Duals serviced by Bohhey and I applied lemon oil several times and installed spikes on both bases. The 1249 is now in the bedroom system and the 1229 is in the main system. They both sound and look like new. Pics of the 1229 are attached.
 

Attachments

  • CAS_2987_dual 1229_ak.jpg
    CAS_2987_dual 1229_ak.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 47
  • CAS_2988_dual 1229_ak.jpg
    CAS_2988_dual 1229_ak.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 34
  • CAS_2991_dual 1229_ak.jpg
    CAS_2991_dual 1229_ak.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 30
  • CAS_2992_dual 1229_ak.jpg
    CAS_2992_dual 1229_ak.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 24
  • CAS_2996_dual 1229_ak.jpg
    CAS_2996_dual 1229_ak.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom