• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

something wrong with this thorens?

check out this td150, the headshell looks like the wrong thorens headshell, tht arm should have the silver one correct? this is a big no no on these arms right?


http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/2532162128.html


This is an original Thorens TD-150 table from the late 1960s, fully restored to better than original condition. Anyone familiar with Thorens turntables knows what they're getting in terms of build quality: extremely durable stuff, made in Switzerland. The platter is a big solid heavy piece of metal. It needed some work when I got it, so I took it apart and cleaned all the components. Took it to the needle shop on 65th... I think it's called J & S? ... the old guy that owns the place knows everything there is to know about turntables and how to fix them up. He installed a new belt, brand new diamond stylus (hasn't been used!), ensured pitch perfect timing with a strobe, oiled the parts, etc. I then had a custom headshell made in "translucent bronze" by a master worker who works with acrylic, which includes thumbscrews in the back that allow you to set the tension on the lid, should you wish to have it "hang" at a particular angle when it is open (in the pictures, they are loose, giving enough slack that the lid can basically rotate as far back as it wants). You can see the translucent nature of the lid from the photos; the last one in particular you can both see the platter through the lid as well as seeing the reflection of my TV, map of the San Juan Islands, etc. reflected off the top. More pictures (or more detailed images) available upon request.

The table is now in absolutely beautiful shape. Requires a phono preamp to work with most modern stereos, but I will include mine if you don't have one already.
 

Attachments

  • 3k33o03l45V35Z65P1b853d9eb93ab3dd1d65.jpg
    3k33o03l45V35Z65P1b853d9eb93ab3dd1d65.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 3m43o33p75V55Z15T6b853e7e7b754ee51de7.jpg
    3m43o33p75V55Z15T6b853e7e7b754ee51de7.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 3nc3m73of5Y45O35P1b8549b447400cf71514.jpg
    3nc3m73of5Y45O35P1b8549b447400cf71514.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 44
Register to hide this ad
Right, it is the wrong headshell for the TD 150. I don't recognize the tonearm either. I thought the TP13 series tonearms came on the TD150.
 
Note to self - Do not consider a restored turntable from someone who thinks a dust cover is a head shell :)
 
They put a headshell from a TP-16 arm on a TP-13 arm. Morons.

Check this... http://www.theanalogdept.com/no_no_1.htm

- Woody
 
That is a Thorens TD-150 AB. That is the original arm- I have one. The Mark II has the "Kugel arm" you are all referring to. The headshell is indeed for the TD-160 arm. The headshell original to the 150 AB should be straight and not angled. All the rest is definitely original. That arm is supposed to be pretty good. I haven't spun mine yet as it needs new springs.
 
Good thing is that(usually) the headshell for the TP13 is a lot cheaper than that for TP16 and it is a part you can easily find on e-bay.
 
Back
Top Bottom