• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher XP66 find

Kingfisher

Well-Known Member
Picked up a pair of Fisher XP66K's connected to a Fisher 115 Music Center (circa 1969) for $10. Anybody know where I can get the specs on these? I am curious to know the db rating on these and whether they are tube friendly.
 
Register to hide this ad
Found this from an old AK thread:
The XP-66 (no letter) appeared around 1968.

12" high-compliance free-piston woofer, 5 lb magnet, 30 Hz, butyl-impregnated half-roll surround. 6" mid, sealed in its own portion of the cabinet. Overall freq. response: 30 Hz to 19 kHz. Crossover at 400 Hz and 1000 Hz, 12 dB slope. 8 ohm. 40 lbs. Walnut veneer.

XP-66B, around 1971. 12" woofer, magnet now listed at 2 lbs, freq. resp. to 32 Hz. Still has sealed 5"mid, wide-disperson 3" cone tweeter. Overall freq. resp. 32 Hz to 20 kHz at 8 ohms. Crossover at 500 Hz and 1000 Hz. MSRP $99.95 in 1971. Equivalent to $475 each in 2005 dollars. 40 lbs. Walnut veneer.

XP-66C, around 1973. Overall freq. resp. 32 Hz. to 20 kHz. Weight down to 33 lbs.
Nothing about sensitivity, but I would imagine them to be pretty tube-friendly. The XP-66-K was also introduced in '73 so I would think it to be similar to the C.

Dave
 
Last edited:
Well...there seems to be conflicting bits of info. here. Either the XP66K speakers were introduced in '73 or they came earlier. The Fisher 115 phonograph music center has the same style brass knob caps that the '60's receivers had. I'll have to do some more checking to see if there is any reference to 'Emerson Electronics' on it. Both the speakers and TT/receiver are heavy and solidly built. The TT is a BSR I think. (Glad to see the "K" suffix was the most expensive speaker system on that price chart, jimbofish :yes:)
 
I can guarantee that the Fisher price list was sent to me in August of 1970, so the 60K and 66K models were both available then. :yes:

BTW, how did Emerson Electronics come into this?

How about some pics of your items? I'm curious to see if the K grill is different.
 
BTW, how did Emerson Electronics come into this?
How about some pics of your items? I'm curious to see if the K grill is different.

Avery Fisher sold his company to Emerson in 1969. They held onto it until sometime in the '70's. Factory closed, name sold to Sanyo. Sanyo merged with Panasonic in '09, Fisher and Sanyo names will probably be phased out by next year. Pics will come, haven't had time lately, maybe this weekend.
 
I can guarantee that the Fisher price list was sent to me in August of 1970, so the 60K and 66K models were both available then. :yes:

BTW, how did Emerson Electronics come into this?

How about some pics of your items? I'm curious to see if the K grill is different.

OK jimbofish, Here are some pics
 

Attachments

  • fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 69
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 63
  • fish3.jpg
    fish3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 99
  • fish4.jpg
    fish4.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 73
Oh, very cool. They should sound nice but 'laid back'. Very likely those have cloth surrounds and could use a cap replacement after 40 yrs.

Looks like the 'special grill' is the 'lattice' insert over the standard tweedy cloth.
 
Hey Kingfisher, how did those X66's work out for you? I'm starting at a pair right now and can't find anything on these online?

What did you think? Asking price is $80 and they are in very good condition, woofers and cosmetics.
 
Wow! What memories. I had the same 'music center' but I had the XP-44B speakers. Actually pretty good speakers for the day. Got me through college.. As A dumb High School kid who wanted separates I yanked the turntable off the top of mine and added rca connectors for phono for a separate DUAL turntable..
 
Well...there seems to be conflicting bits of info. here. Either the XP66K speakers were introduced in '73 or they came earlier. The Fisher 115 phonograph music center has the same style brass knob caps that the '60's receivers had. I'll have to do some more checking to see if there is any reference to 'Emerson Electronics' on it. Both the speakers and TT/receiver are heavy and solidly built. The TT is a BSR I think. (Glad to see the "K" suffix was the most expensive speaker system on that price chart, jimbofish :yes:)
I can also personally confirm that the XP-66K Speaker was available in 1970. My Dad bought a pair and even though he is gone now, those speakers as well as the 201 Receiver he bought with them, still rock.
 
Back
Top Bottom