• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Renovating Pioneer PL-55DX

Sindsoron

Save the Vinyl
Hi!

First of all, sorry for my poor english. I'm from poland and just recently bought used Pioneer PL-55DX. I paid for it 375zł, it's around 120$ (you can buy ~65l of gasoline in poland). It turned that my TT is in pretty bad shape. I will post some pictures later, and write some more, but now i'm at work and don't have much free time.

Best regards,
Mateusz Wądrzyk
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi!

First of all, sorry for my poor english. I'm from poland and just recently bought used Pioneer PL-55DX. I paid for it 375zł, it's around 120$ (you can buy ~65l of gasoline in poland). It turned that my TT is in pretty bad shape. I will post some pictures later, and write some more, but now i'm at work and don't have much free time.

Best regards,
Mateusz Wądrzyk

Welcome, Mateusz! I look forward to seeing the pictures of your new turntable. I'm sure that you'll get all the help you'll need with getting it working.

John
 
I'll echo John's welcome and also offer that your English is quite good.
 
Thank you all ;)

So... i think i should tell all the story from the beginnig. I already have one TT, Nordmende RP 1200 (TOTL '78) with MG-35V cartridge (masked Audio Technica AT-10), and it's quite good, notigh special, but it was good enough. But then i started to read more about vintage audio... and I fall in love in this amazing '70 design (wood and aluminum). Last week when i was looking on TTs in allegro (it's like ebay) to find something good for a guy from forum (www.winyl.net - only serious polish forum about vinyl and turntables) i found auction of Pioneer PL-55DX. In the pictures it looked good, nothing to worry about (except broken dust cover). I decided to buy it. When i get it i was a little surprised... it turns out TT was in worst condition i predicted. This is how it loked:

54904492.jpg


50322479.jpg


90904391.jpg


99737980.jpg


93636632.jpg


And pics of parts of TT after i dismantle it:

19448962.jpg


21196249.jpg


73573489.jpg


82295930.jpg


14213541.jpg


37532100.jpg


43209489.jpg


(poor quality because i lost my camera, and have to use the one built in my phone, which is 3.2MP)

As you can see it's not so bad... but not, good, too... Unoriginal mat, incomplete arm rest, rusted hines and metal frame, wooden plint is in poor condition, everything is quite dirty...

So here's list of things i wan't to do:

1. Get a new dust cover - allready talked with some comapnies that do things from plexiglass
2. Buy new, or renovate old, hinges
3. Renovate wood plint - i plan to rip off vinyl sheet, and put veneer instead.
4. Renovate metal frame - clean it from rust and old paint, and paint in black.
5. Change power cable.
6. Conect wires from tonearm directly to rca out.
7. Clean tonearm.
8. Clean all the switches.
9. Do something about incomplete arm rest - propably do new, missing part.
10. Buy original headshell or one that look alike
11. Do something about broken legs - buy used ones from some pioneer TT, or instal spikes.
12. Renovate plate
13. Put some new, gold plated, rca sockets
14. Buy original mat

If anyone have any sugestions what to do more, or how to do something i pointes, please write it down ;)

PS

Rest of pics in nect post ;) (aparently there is maximum of 15 pictures in one post)
 
As you can see it's not so bad... but not, good, too... Unoriginal mat, incomplete arm rest, rusted hines and metal frame, wooden plint is in poor condition, everything is quite dirty...

So here's list of things i wan't to do:

1. Get a new dust cover - allready talked with some comapnies that do things from plexiglass

Another option might be to look for an original dustcover on Allegro or eBay. There are several other Pioneer models which use the same dustcover, like the PL-71 or the other variants of the PL-55. Also, the dustcover for a PL-530, 550 or 570 will fit but those are clear.

2. Buy new, or renovate old, hinges

Renovate, I think, as long as the springs haven't fatigued.

3. Renovate wood plint - i plan to rip off vinyl sheet, and put veneer instead.

In an earlier thread on the forum a member mentioned stripping the vinyl off his PL-55 (or PL-71?) and finding hardwood veneer under it. I believe it wasn't walnut or any traditional furniture woof but lauan, sometimes called "Philippine mahogany". Pioneer receivers often have lauan under the vinyl of their cabinets. Lauan can actually be stained and varnished and can look quite good if the grain is attractive.

4. Renovate metal frame - clean it from rust and old paint, and paint in black.

Yes, that turntable looks as if it might have been stored outside in a shed or some other damp environment.

5. Change power cable.
6. Conect wires from tonearm directly to rca out.

Not a bad idea. You might as well since you've taken the turntable apart.

7. Clean tonearm.

Yes, but be careful not to use any aabrasives.

8. Clean all the switches.

Definitely

9. Do something about incomplete arm rest - propably do new, missing part.

Again, Allegro or eBay parts or even a non-working turntable that can be used for parts.

10. Buy original headshell or one that look alike

Yes, good to keep it original, I suppose.

11. Do something about broken legs - buy used ones from some pioneer TT, or instal spikes.

This is where another turntable as a parts donor comes into play again.

12. Renovate plate

Very fine sandpaper (320 or 400 grit) is good for removing the oxidation. Something like steel wool will take the oxidation off too but may get down into the crevices and remove some of the black paint.

13. Put some new, gold plated, rca sockets
14. Buy original mat

Both good ideas.

If anyone have any sugestions what to do more, or how to do something i pointes, please write it down ;)[/QUOTE]

It would be a good idea to remove all the old grease and replace it with white lithium grease. Don't put grease anywhere where there was none before. There are several places that look like they could benefit from lubrication but, actually, greasing them would cause them to stop working.

Check the tone arm pivot for free play. There should be the tiniest bit but too much is not good. It can often be adjusted out, though.

John
 
boreas said:
Sindsoron said:
As you can see it's not so bad... but not, good, too... Unoriginal mat, incomplete arm rest, rusted hines and metal frame, wooden plint is in poor condition, everything is quite dirty...

So here's list of things i wan't to do:

1. Get a new dust cover - allready talked with some comapnies that do things from plexiglass
Another option might be to look for an original dustcover on Allegro or eBay. There are several other Pioneer models which use the same dustcover, like the PL-71 or the other variants of the PL-55. Also, the dustcover for a PL-530, 550 or 570 will fit but those are clear.

I considered this option, but it looks like ordering new one would be cheaper and easier. But untill next pay i'll check ebay weekly, maybe some good parts will show.

boreas said:
Sindsoron said:
2. Buy new, or renovate old, hinges
Renovate, I think, as long as the springs haven't fatigued.

I also think it's better, but i don't have second part (the one that's in dust cover) to one of the hinge, so it'll be troublesome.

boreas said:
Sindsoron said:
3. Renovate wood plint - i plan to rip off vinyl sheet, and put veneer instead.
In an earlier thread on the forum a member mentioned stripping the vinyl off his PL-55 (or PL-71?) and finding hardwood veneer under it. I believe it wasn't walnut or any traditional furniture woof but lauan, sometimes called "Philippine mahogany". Pioneer receivers often have lauan under the vinyl of their cabinets. Lauan can actually be stained and varnished and can look quite good if the grain is attractive.

Yeah, i read this thread. But i think doing new veneer is better, because i can choose how it'll look.

boreas said:
Sindsoron said:
9. Do something about incomplete arm rest - propably do new, missing part.
Again, Allegro or eBay parts or even a non-working turntable that can be used for parts.

there's two problems with that... first, it's hard to find any similar model in poland, and on ebay they quite hard to find also (there's lot of parts to PL-12D, PL-112D, but not to PL-55/71)... second, if there is something usualy it's quite expensive. But i will check auctions regulary to see if anything intresting show up.

boreas said:
It would be a good idea to remove all the old grease and replace it with white lithium grease. Don't put grease anywhere where there was none before. There are several places that look like they could benefit from lubrication but, actually, greasing them would cause them to stop working.

Check the tone arm pivot for free play. There should be the tiniest bit but too much is not good. It can often be adjusted out, though.

I totally forgot about this! Thank you for pointing this! I will buy some grease and after cleaning, i will grease it ;)

Also... with TT i got Ortofon FF15 cart. Turtnable is mechanicly working, auto-return is working, but it'll need some adjustment.

Best regards,
Mateusz Wądrzyk
 
Last edited:
It's been a while.

The TT is curently wainting for some TT to be a parts donor. I have already made new tonearm wires from copper wire. Wires are made from 10 twisted strands of copper DNE 0,05mm. From what i tested they're almost as good as the copper wires from VdH (in terms of resistance and flexibilty).

The tonearm is cleaned, and bearings are lubricated, and now it's workin very smooth.

The only things left to get is, new dust cover, original rubber mat, hadshell and feet.

Metal plint is curently waiting for new black paint, and wood for new venner (wooden plint is curently at carpenter workshop for that).

I hope to get feet, dust cover, mat and headshell from broken PL-55D that i'm curently bidding on ebay.

Later i will try to "dump" mechanism so it will work quieter, clean all switches and plater, and after that i'll post some pics showing effects of works done so far.

And I may confirm that under the vinyl, the wooden plint has some venner, but it's realy poor quality.
 
Hi!

First of all, sorry for my poor english. I'm from poland and just recently bought used Pioneer PL-55DX. I paid for it 375zł, it's around 120$ (you can buy ~65l of gasoline in poland). It turned that my TT is in pretty bad shape. I will post some pictures later, and write some more, but now i'm at work and don't have much free time.

Best regards,
Mateusz Wądrzyk

Hi, Mateusz! glad to see known TT. I bougt PL-55X version on ebay a couple years ago for only $30 from US, but ...There was only base plate with TT platter, all electronic, a rubber mate (think it`s not original) and tonearm with broken armrest (without a headshell and subweight) it was sold AS IS, but seller told that motor works. It was a nice deal, because I want to make a new better plinth.
So, when I`v got it and pulled the selector plug to 220V (it was really cool, because I was ready to find 220-120 transformer) it works but strobolight was dead. i replace it with another one taken from broken Tefal smoothing-iron.
I didn`t want to make an original TT, so I made a new massive plinth from 5 layers 15mm baltic birch:
plinth.jpg


and finished with corkwood:
p75n.jpg


I bought a cheap ZOMO headshell and nice Audio Technica AT120E cartridge (want to replace wires from the shell with better one):
cartridge.jpg


There is some kind of switch that mutes phono out (I removed it and solder tonearm wires to phono sockets )
It was hard to tune a correct speed of playing...I replace all the electrolitic caps, but it doesn`t help. I pulled the selector plug to 240V and thought it was ok. It`s ok now, but I need to replace speed switch. It can be a problem. I don`t need 45 rpm, so I`ll try to close 2 wires without a swich:)
Thats my small ideas of modification this 75 pioneer japan boy:)
75on75.jpg
 
Last edited:
That turntable looks absolutely beautiful! (As "Alex" in A Clockwork Orange said, "Horror show! :D) Congratulations!

As far as the speed instability is concerned, you may have already tried this but often this can be corrected by cleaning the trim pots and variable resistors with an electronics contact cleaner mike Caig "DeoxIT".

John
 
That turntable looks absolutely beautiful! (As "Alex" in A Clockwork Orange said, "Horror show! :D) Congratulations!

As far as the speed instability is concerned, you may have already tried this but often this can be corrected by cleaning the trim pots and variable resistors with an electronics contact cleaner mike Caig "DeoxIT".

John

Thanks, John! I`m glad you find it beautiful:) Some kinda old-school look, but I have only corkwood and mahogany vaneer at that time. Corkwood looks funny.

As a trim pot, i remember I tried to use another pot. And it worked the same.
I think it`s a common problem as I knew at this forum.
i don`t use 45rpm, so it would be better to do this
33rpmmod.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hi, Mateusz! glad to see known TT. I bougt PL-55X version on ebay a couple years ago for only $30 from US, but ...There was only base plate with TT platter, all electronic, a rubber mate (think it`s not original) and tonearm with broken armrest (without a headshell and subweight) it was sold AS IS, but seller told that motor works. It was a nice deal, because I want to make a new better plinth.
So, when I`v got it and pulled the selector plug to 220V (it was really cool, because I was ready to find 220-120 transformer) it works but strobolight was dead. i replace it with another one taken from broken Tefal smoothing-iron.
I didn`t want to make an original TT, so I made a new massive plinth from 5 layers 15mm baltic birch:
plinth.jpg


and finished with corkwood:
p75n.jpg


I bought a cheap ZOMO headshell and nice Audio Technica AT120E cartridge (want to replace wires from the shell with better one):
cartridge.jpg


There is some kind of switch that mutes phono out (I removed it and solder tonearm wires to phono sockets )
It was hard to tune a correct speed of playing...I replace all the electrolitic caps, but it doesn`t help. I pulled the selector plug to 240V and thought it was ok. It`s ok now, but I need to replace speed switch. It can be a problem. I don`t need 45 rpm, so I`ll try to close 2 wires without a swich:)
Thats my small ideas of modification this 75 pioneer japan boy:)
75on75.jpg


Welcome to AK!! You did a marvelous job on your turntable. You may not like the cork, but you have a table that is unique, the only one I know of in existence, and it is a kick a$$ beauty. There is something intriguing and appealing about cork. Your plinth has a lot of character and detail that you don't always get with other material. If this was mine, I would be proud to show it, use it as it was meant to be used, and be proud of a remarkable DIY job you did yourself. There is nothing wrong with your table as is.

Enjoy your table for many years, and keep spinning! :music:
 
Where can I find hinges for this model. I really need some new ones.

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

New one would be hard to find the turn table was produced around 1975.

There may be used hinges from PL-55, PL-55D, PL-55X on Ebay. :music:
 
Back
Top Bottom