• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MCS 3125 Score

Charliep127

Member
I'm only 18 years old, but I'm really into this stuff.

Anyway, I picked up a non-working MCS 3125 around 30 miles from my house this last week. The unit was in really good condition, and the only things missing were the volume knob and some screws. Functionally, there were several problems; the LEDs on the front said that the amplifier was "clipping" even when the volume was turned all the way down, and the LEDs showing the signal strength in the upper left-hand corner were not responsive to changes in tuning.

I took this unit to John Ledbetter at Northwest Audio Service in Seattle, and it turned out being an easy fix... he charged me 50 bucks for adding a volume knob, cleaning out the tuner, and, most importantly, changing a blown resistor. The blown resistor was the culprit for the clipping and tuning signal problems.

I gave this receiver to my dad for Christmas and he loves it. This receiver sounds incredible, and I've spent a total of 80 bucks on it.

I've heard other receivers/integrated amplifiers before (Marantz 1122dc, Marantz 2238B, Kenwood KR-9940, Sony STR-GX900ES, Technics SA-700) but none of these even come close to the MCS in terms of sound quality.

Sound quality is always a matter of taste, but I was wondering if anybody out there has heard the MCS 3125 and thinks there is something better sound-wise. Just by searching around the forums, I've gathered that people love all sorts of receivers, but there are a few that stand out as producing some awesome sound. For example, the Concept 16.5, Sansui 9090db, Pioneer SX-1250, and Luxman R-117 seem to get a lot of press. The MCS seems to get a fair amount of press too.

I'm just wondering if I gave my dad one of the best-sounding vintage receivers ever made, or if there are even better-sounding receivers out there that I haven't yet discovered.
 
Register to hide this ad
Another forgotten giant sold by JCPenny. Made by NEC. Does not surprise me that it might sound better than most. You did good for 80 bucks. Got some pics?
 
My uncle Mike still has his full MCS 'rack' system, which looks very "Sansui", to this day. He bought it new out of the catalog. Has an integrated amp and tuner, cassette deck and a turntable that reeks of Technics.
 
I had an MCS 3235 I think. Bought it and played with it for awhile and then sold it. It had nice sound and plenty of features, and looked good too. I buy and sell all the time, so it wasn't something I would keep, but then again I have probably 15 receivers around the house.

You did good though, I bet your dad really appreciates the gift. Curious as to what speakers you used with it?
 
I have a 3253 and a 3260. Both are NEC built and really good receivers. The one you got is one of the ones to have. I would love to have one. Good score.
 
Pics

Here are some pictures I took for all you non-believers
 

Attachments

  • SAM_1052.jpg
    SAM_1052.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 420
  • SAM_1066.jpg
    SAM_1066.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 212
  • SAM_1095.jpg
    SAM_1095.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 282
  • SAM_1085.jpg
    SAM_1085.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 289
  • SAM_1071.jpg
    SAM_1071.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 293
  • SAM_1067.jpg
    SAM_1067.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 222
Btw, I'm in college right now and have some Polk Speakers and another MCS 3125 there (I bought another one for my dad because I was blown away by the sound from mine) but I'm letting my dad borrow my Sapphire XL speakers and Maestro XL subwoofer. They sound really good together, the speakers bring the best out of the music.

Has anybody heard the MCS 3125 compared to other receivers? How does it stack up against the competition?
 
Congrats on a fine vintage dual-mono find.

...I gave this receiver to my dad for Christmas and he loves it. This receiver sounds incredible, and I've spent a total of 80 bucks on it.

I've heard other receivers/integrated amplifiers before (Marantz 1122dc, Marantz 2238B, Kenwood KR-9940, Sony STR-GX900ES, Technics SA-700) but none of these even come close to the MCS in terms of sound quality.

3125 is more powerful. 2238B fully restored on efficient speakers has a wonderful tone--as long as you like the Marantz signature sound. 3125 has more bass, more slam.

Sound quality is always a matter of taste, but I was wondering if anybody out there has heard the MCS 3125 and thinks there is something better sound-wise. Just by searching around the forums, I've gathered that people love all sorts of receivers, but there are a few that stand out as producing some awesome sound.

For example, the Concept 16.5, Sansui 9090db, Pioneer SX-1250, and Luxman R-117 seem to get a lot of press. The MCS seems to get a fair amount of press too.

Not many have the experience of having heard all four of those TOTLs in the same room/same speakers. I have owned them all. All of these have great points and they beat out many I didn't keep. (Reluctantly let the 9090DB find a new owner but they really really wanted it). 16.5: the best. 117: most refined. 1250: highest build quality, will last forever. Went to separates for phono but the 9090DB could have the best phono stage, didn't look close since the Kennys won that category.

I'm just wondering if I gave my dad one of the best-sounding vintage receivers ever made, or if there are even better-sounding receivers out there that I haven't yet discovered.

Top ten of solid state. Thing is there's a lot of variation. Looks count too. Side heat fins are very cool.
 
Last edited:
I've heard a lot of really good things about the Concept 16.5, I'd love to hear one. I didn't know the 3125 was dual mono, it seems to have one massive transformer. It also talks about "triple darlington" amplifiers, and I have no clue what those are. Does anybody have any experience with these type of amplifiers?
 
Yeah, it's a one-mono. I sit corrected. Well laid out design with those side heat sinks.

.
 
yeah, it's pretty fun to look at, and the heat sinks do their job. What does "one-mono" mean? It still plays in stereo, so I'm assuming the two do not relate in this sense.
 
Nice job on taking care of your dad! MCS has a lot of nice gear that some people won't look twice at...... as I always say, their loss!
 
Beautiful receiver, you did good! I recently got an MCS 3275 and if yours is anything like mine you have a real quality piece. Yours is prettier than mine to be honest, I wish mine had such a nice layout for the EQ.

But yeah, they are very clean sounding, powerful, and they are built like a brick s**t house to boot! My 3275 fell 4 feet straight onto its face and survived with no problems other than a bent switch.

Keep it in the family, it should last a lifetime.
 
JC Penney certainly did nail that line didn't they?! Must have had an exec in a high place that was into audio.
 
Back
Top Bottom