• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Elac Miracord 50H and hum

Johncan

Record collector
I have a Elac Miracord 50H that I just got out of storage. It is very quiet when I turn on the the preamp. However, once the tonearm moves over and the stylus touches the record, I get a low level hum that is buried underneath the music. When the record ends and the tonearm returns to its stand, the hum remains. The Elac Miracord 50H does not have a ground wire. Can I add one? If so, how and where do I do that? The owner's manual does not refer to a ground wire anywhere.
 
Register to hide this ad
My 50H doesn't have a ground wire and apparently doesn't need one. It had a hum that I cleared up by cleaning the headshell contacts. Also not a bad idea to check the RCA jacks underneath to make sure everything's plugged up correctly.
 
Last edited:
The typical separate ground wire on the Elacs is connected to one of the grounds of the RCA cable.

Strongly suggest you clean the contacts inside the headshell first. Then verify that the 4 wires on the cartridge are intact. Next, clean the contacts underneath where the RCA patch cord connects - both inner and outer contacts.

Lastly, you might want to replace the RCA patch cord all together. The originals are old enough to vote!

Generally, humming, etc, I always traced back to the headshell contacts.

BTW, the fact that the hum disappears when the 'table is in auto-return or auto-start is that there is a muting switch that kicks in when those functions are enabled. This proves that they're good.

Cheers,

David
 
My 50H MkII DOES have a ground wire, although I dont remember where it connects to on the table. I replaced the RCA cables with some nice shielded ones and have zero hum or other noise issues.

Put another way, I agree completely with dshoaf, above :D
 
I scored a Bozak component cabinet last week with a MAC 1700 hybrid receiver, Sony reel-to-reel, and an ELAC 50H turntable. The mechanism that adjusts the speed was stuck but I got it fixed and lubed this morning. It's working great now. Does anyone by chance have an owners manual that has a page describing what the function of what each dial does? Or can some explain? Thanks
 
The miracord a green wire that was attqched with the power plug connector to the under side of the turntable. If its not there just attach another wire to the chassis and connect to the preamp ground lug. Then you should be ready to go. I hope my memory is correct
 
Back
Top Bottom