• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mysterious Old Corner Speaker

truevis

Well-Known Member
Any idea what I've got here? Must be early 1960s, or 1950s, eh? Partial stickers on the back read "...den & M..." and "Switchcraft".

Looks like four 4" drivers. Construction is plywood.

Reminds me of the Kloss early corner speaker that was discussed here, recently.
DSCN0267.JPG
DSCN0269.JPG
DSCN0271.JPG
DSCN0278.JPG
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Yes, it appears to be a Baruch-Lang speaker. Henry Kloss was building those for B-L's mail order sales in the early 50's before he got together with Ed Vilchur and formed AR inc.

They are mentioned in this writeup near the bottom of the first page. Neat little piece of Massachusetts audio history there!
 
Last edited:
Wow, that just might be the quickest game of "Name That Speaker" ever played.... And such an old rarity to boot.

Nice work. I don't know how you got that.
 
Last edited:
Baruch-Lang Speaker

Here are its innards. Looks like the volume control was an original option. This unit also has a different number of holes in its inner baffle from the one in the magazine article's picture.

The inner baffle also had its holes blocked by a thin layer of paper. I started poking out a hole, then poked-out all of them.

I put a ~2-watt Radio Shack amp on the speaker and played some old jazz via Pandora. It sounds okay but certainly not like a modern speaker.
DSCN0443.JPG
DSCN0446.JPG
DSCN0441.JPG
DSCN0444.JPG
 
I would have been in so much trouble as a kid if my parents had those.....I would have lost my marbles, so to speak.
 
I ended up selling it to another AKer at one of the Frankenfests in Clinton. The buyer said he planned to get the speaker to Henry Kloss' son. How cool is that?
 
very cool indeed! might make a cool diy project- upscale/ upsize the design to use four of the full range Dayton 8 inch drivers!
 
The 4x4" drivers gave it some good bass. The high end was quite lacking at only 11000 CPS. What could the audio sources of 1952 reproduce?
 
Back
Top Bottom