• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My easy heatsink mod for the SX-780 Q19, Q20 and Q25 Transistors

Marty Socal

Active Member
Parts needed:
(Qty. 3) #276-1363 TO220 heatsinks from Radio Shack, cost $1.69 each.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102856
Epoxy (I used JB Weld, slow cure).
(Qty 3) 3MM metric hex nuts from the local hardware store or the junk drawer.
Solder, 60-40 rosin core
NON-CONDUCTIVE Heat Sink Grease (NTE 303)
91% rubbing alcohol or medical alcohol pads, like they use when you get a shot at the doctors.
Optional: New transistors (Q19, Q25 = KSC2073TU qty 2) ( Q20 = KSA940TU qty 1)

Tools:
Soldering iron, Solder sucker or desoldering braid, a Drill motor with a 3/16" drill,
a phillips screwdriver and a small wrench to fit the 3mm hex nuts.

How to:
Basically what we are going to do is add the new heat sinks to the back of the old heat sinks, greatly increasing their surface area!

I found it easier to remove the three transistors and heat sinks from the board to install the added heat sinks. They usually need to be resoldered anyways, due the the extreme heat and thermal cycling these are subjected to. It might also be a good time to replace them with new transistors, if your unit has had hard usage.

Remove the transistors in the normal manner using the desoldering tool or braid, noting their positions. Separate the transistor from the original heat sink, and clean off the old thermal grease. Reapply an even thin coat of heat sink compound to the mating surfaces and resecure the transistor to the original heat sink, bend the legs of new transistors so that they fit the existing mounting holes like the old ones did. Set aside for now.

Take the new heatsinks from their packaging and prepare to drill a new hole about even with the second leg and centered so that the heat sink will have enough clearance above the wire wrapped pin and nearby comopnents once it's mounted. The original hole in the new heat sinks will make them sit too low. The size of the projection on the back of the old heat sinks that forms the threads that the transistor screw threads into sets the size of the drill bit you need to use to allow the added heat sink to get full contact with the old heat sink. IIRC, it was 3/16" (5mm). Carefully drill the new hole in the heatsinks, might help to have a vice handy to hold the part while you drill it, it's relatively soft aluminum. Once you have drilled the new heat sink so it fits over the rear projection on the old heat sink, trial fit them by installing the 3mm nut onto the excess threads on the mounting screws that stick through the old heat sink. Trial fit them into the board to make sure they clear all the other components.

Once you are satisfied with the fit, prep the parts to apply the epoxy, which helps with the heat transfer and prevents the new heat sink from falling off in service. Rubbing alcohol will remove any excess heat sink grease or fingerprints from the mating surfaces so that they stick together well. A small amount of epoxy is needed for each heat sink. The slow cure JB weld has a long setting time, but secures parts better than the 5 minute type. Mix it per the package directions and apply it to the contact area where it will fit against the old heat sink. Try to keep it off the threads of the mounting screw, then install the new heat sink and retain it with the 3mm nut. Refit them to the board and verify that they are in alignment and are not contacting the other componenets. Set them aside overnight for the epoxy to cure. Once you are satisfied they are cured, you can solder the transistors back onto the board.

Here's a view of the heat sinks installed. Notice the nut that helps secure the new heat sink to the old, and that it's set with enough height to clear the nearby components:
IMG_6391.jpg


A closeup of the other side, showing the retaining nut and clearances to the components on that side. It is not touching the wire wrapped pin, it clears it by maybe an 1/8" or so.
IMG_6390.jpg


You can see the dark grey JB Weld epoxy where the two heat sinks are glued to each other:
IMG_6387.jpg


Overhead view with a better shot showing the nuts, make sure they are tight!
IMG_6389.jpg


Results:
The maximum temperature I measured with a lazer aimed infra red temp gun on the transistors before the heat sinks were added was about 180*f after the radio was in operation for 1/2 hour. :yikes:

After installing the added heat sinks, the max temp was measured at 125*f. Quite a difference! :banana:

Hope you guys find this useful!
 
Register to hide this ad
Great post. I did the same thing using the same design heatsink you use. Only that I don't use JB weld (maybe I should :D). I just used a longer screw that threads in nicely in the old heatsink and a nut to hold the new heatsink onto the old one and thermal grease. I only used it on the transistor that powers the tuner and some other circuitry. That is the one nearest the large heatsink and the hottest. I feel comfortable enough with the other two to be left alone. But I agree, it wouldn't hurt to do the two others. Adding the heatsink does make a huge difference.

Curious, you showed 180°. Which transistor show that temp?
 
Last edited:
The one closest to the big heat sink was the hottest. IIRC, the other two were around 150*f before the mod, and around 100*f after the mod.
 
Last edited:
Nice, quick solution. Anything to help heat dissipation on those three transistors is a good thing.
 
I know I'm a little late to this thread (about 7 years :)).
I am currently in the middle of upgrading the heatsinks on my SX-780 using this method (thank you, Marty SoCal!), and was wondering why instead of accommodating the projection (associated with the tapped hole) on the back of the original heatsink, why I shouldn't just drill out the tapped hole (eliminating the projection) and run a new screw through the entire assembly?
This seems easier than accommodating the projection, which is dangerously close to exceeding the width of the additional heatsink, which prevents a nut/washer from seating completely to firmly secure the additional heatsink to the original (whether during epoxy cure or in actual use if epoxy is avoided in favor of simply using heatsink compound).
Further, the original screw has a much coarser thread (somewhat of a self-tapping-look), which does not lend itself to a conventional thread pattern you would find on a 3mm nut/screw combination (which is about twice as fine).
Please see that attached image to show this thread difference.
Perhaps this was not the case for your original heatsinks ... perhaps yours were tapped for, and secured with, a conventional 3mm thread for which a 3mm aftermarket nut would fit nicely.
In my case, due to the coarser and apparently more specialized thread that I don't think was ever intended to pair with a nut, I don't think I will be able to find a screw/nut combination that preserves the integrity of the thread of the original tapped hole.
Marty Socal, in your project, was your motivation to preserve the original heatsinks as much as possible (down to preserving the original tapped hole for mounting to the transistor) or was it something else that made you decide to keep the original tapped hole instead of drilling it out and eliminating the projection?
I must admit, it would not be a difficult thing to file or even sand 1/2 mm or so off of the projection to make sure it sits below the plane of the additional heatsink for best securing with a nut.
It is the nature of the coarse/specialized thread of the tapped hole vs. the conventional thread of an aftermarket nut that discourages me from using an aftermarket nut to secure the added heatsink as described in the original post.
Plus, I have nice TO-220 mounting kits (I am also isolating the new transistors) with matched hardware that would make it a simple matter if the tapped projection of the existing heatsink were gone.
All this said, I do like the Marty Socal's approach because it avoids the sloppiness in the alignment of the transistor and heatsinks that would exist if the the tapped projection were drilled out instead of maintained.
In writing all this, I think I may try the following modified version of Marty's approach:
1. *Keep* the tapped projection of the original heatsink
2. Sand down the projection (1/2 mm or so) to ensure it sits slightly below flush with the face of the additional heatsink
3. Run a tap thru the original heatsink that matches the thread of the kit mounting screw (this will certainly cross thread the original thread pattern but should serve to temporarily hold the new transistor and original heatsink together during assembly)
4. Add additional heatsink with kit washer/lockwasher/nut (this will provide the final securing of all three - new transistor, original heatsink, additional heatsink)
I will use thermal grease between all three (no epoxy, although I'm sure this would produce a better thermal bond).

Thanks for bearing with me as I thought thru this on your time ;).
I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something obvious before I started drilling.
If you have any thoughts on my modified approach, please share.
BTW, for my case, assuming that I fit the two pins of the original heatsink of my upgraded assembly back into their existing holes in the PCB, I find that I must mount each additional heatsink such that its bottom edge falls 11-12 mm above the bottom edge of the original heatsink (which is about half the height of the original heatsink - 25mm) in order to provide adequate clearance above transistors Q23 & Q24 and wirewrap pin 12.
It is also helpful to note that I had to nudge resistors R317 & R318, on the left, and R263, on the right, (all of which sit almost 20mm above the PCB) ever so slightly to provide a couple of mm clearance for the upgraded assemblies.
I'm sure Marty's original pics show all this, but in my laptop's rendering of this thread, it appears the a photo utility called Photobucket has blurred these pics so that these details are not observable.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9046.jpg
    IMG_9046.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 51
Ok, I keep it simple and it seems to do a great job, they pull the heat away from the transistor rather nicely. Just drill through the original heat sink, file the emboss flat, then screw right into the new one with the supplied longer screws. I get these off of ebay(pre-virus days) : /
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3224.JPG
    IMG_3224.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 76
I've used Mouser 532-530613B00 Heat Sinks with 532-4880SG Mounting kits several times and they work perfectly. As I recall, no modifications were needed.
 

Attachments

  • 100_8665.JPG
    100_8665.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 107
Thanks, Rebel and jerrycpor!
jerrycpor, I checked the Mouser model, and it is the same size (but cheaper) as the Radio Shack that Marty Socal uses in his original post.
The pic you attached was very helpful - super clean board!
How did you get all the drippings looking stuff off of the area around these transistors (see attached pic) ... and how did you get everything so sparkly shiny?
My remaining heatsink question to you is this ...
- Although I was thinking to come in *above* the transistors (to the right of Q20) and wirewrap pin (to the left of Q25), you seem to have chosen to nudge the transistors (as I think I can, also) to bring the add-on heatsink lower.
But regarding the wirewrap pin near Q25, did you simply bring the heatsink down around it (kinda close in my case - see pic) or did you remove the lowest left heatsink fin to avoid (it's not clear from your pic)?
Thanks, in advance.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9053.jpg
    IMG_9053.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 69
That particular 780 was super clean to start with, compressed air and a little paint brush was all that was needed. That left over dripping stuff is glue that held the original heat sinks in place. The dry and flaky will chip off and away, and I use Goof Off and a q-tip to soften the residual, once softened you can gently scrape with something like a chisel edge sharpened chop stick. Using something made of metal as a scraper, WILL scratch the board, and it'll look worse than if you'd just left the glue there.

I believe I did nudge the T0-92 transistor slightly, must have, and by the picture below (not the same unit as the first picture), straddled the wire wrap pin. If you have concern with the wire wrap touching the add on heat sink, put a length of shrink tube on the wire wrap pin.

As a final step, not a bad idea to put a dab of two-part epoxy on the original little heat sink tabs that poke through the board.

~Jerry
 

Attachments

  • 780 hs1.JPG
    780 hs1.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 75
Thanks, jerrycpor!
You have clearly done this a few times.
Thanks for the pic and the cleaning tips.
I suppose I shouldn't worry much about the wirewrap pin since I am isolating the heat sink from each transistor in the new assemblies.
But I like your heat shrink tubing idea.
Thanks, again.
 
You're quite welcome marks2v. In truth though, I'm just passing along information that I've gleaned from various threads here on AK.

~Jerry
 
Just wanted to update this thread on my success with the tips from this thread.
Jerry, the Goof Off (Pro Strength Remover product) worked wonderfully to remove the epoxy residue from the original heatsinks (simply by soaking for about an hour) and PCB (took a little more work by dabbing with a Goof Off moistened q-tip every 15 min throughout the morning, but it came off easily once softened).
See the attached pic of the PCB with the transistors and residue removed.
I also used Jerry's suggestion to put a piece of heatshrink on the wirewrap post adjacent to Q25.
Although I had isolated each transistor from its heatsink, I felt better to know that no voltage/signal from the board was present on the heatsink (see the attached pic with transistors installed).
And Rebel, I used your suggestion to sand off the embossings on the original heatsinks, but I left the threaded hole in place.
The aluminum was so soft that it was a simple matter to just run the new 4-40 screw from the mounting kit right thru the existing threaded hole.
It worked like a tap to re-/cross-thread the original hole but was still helpful in holding the screw/shoulder-washer/transistor/mica/heatsink assembly together (with thermal grease in place) before fastening the new heatsink (and more thermal grease) with the washer/lockwasher/nut.
Thank you both, and a big shout out to Marty SoCal for the original approach and for giving me the courage to order parts and get started.
Regards,
Mark
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9062.jpg
    IMG_9062.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9071.jpg
    IMG_9071.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9074.JPG
    IMG_9074.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 84
My solution was to buy some aluminum bar stock (1.5") from home depot and cut it to make it fit. I ordered some heat sinks from mouser, but they were too big and didn't want to wait. If I had a proper workshop/tools I would have tossed the original heat sinks, but the interface with the pcb was much better than I could get with my dremel and hack saw. I didn't want to stress the transistor legs at all.

I cut the bar into 3 3" segments. I marked the spot where I wanted it to contact the original heat sink and cut away the two sides of that so the sink didn't contact any nearby post/resistor/jumper. I wish I'd taken a pic before installing, but it looks like a rectangle with a centered tail on one of the ends, or like a paddle with a small handle. I drilled a hole in the handle part to line up with the transistor screw and drilled six holes in the paddle part for more surface area/air flow. Did some sanding so get all the burrs out, bend the sink at the handle/paddle junction so make sure they didn't contact the output transistor heat sink (for q25) and the other two had to be bend the same way so they didn't contact each other. I drilled out the hold on the original heat sink to accept the screw I had, made the back of the original heat sink flush so it made good contact with the new aluminum bar, applied thermal grease, then put it back together. I also put three dabs of epoxy on the pcb for each sink.

Maybe its the new transistors I installed (old ones were fine, but I had the new one on hand) or maybe it's the new heat sink, but wow do these things run much cooler.


IMG_20240502_150219_264.jpgIMG_20240502_150154_431.jpg
 
Very nice, congratulations, assuming they are electrically isolated from the circuits and grounded
 
Back
Top Bottom