• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

WIMA capacitors.

catman

Addicted Member
Banned
G'day all, can somebody please tell me if I'm hearing things or just going (more) crazy? During my recent ongoing cartridge loading experiments, not thinking that there could be any difference I've been using either small value ceramic capacitors or WIMA small value plastic film capacitors.
These go across the input signal lines.

I decided to clean up the RCA input connectors of my 'test bed' phono stage on which I'd been using ceramic loading capacitors, and after cleaning the RCA connectors I decided to use 68 picofarad WIMA plastic film capacitors as they look 'prettier'!

The overall capacitance value with the capacitors in place is about 260 picofarads (measured). These capacitors sound noticeably 'smoother' than the previously used ceramic capacitors, very nice sounding actually. Is this actually possible? :scratch2:

I know that ceramic capacitors can have non linearity issues in some circuits but not in this application, or so I thought! I think I've been enlightened! :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Yes It's possible :)
Everything has a sonic signature, some of the Wima caps do sound very nice for their low cost, I have a pair of FKP3 wima's before a pair of VSF's (coupling).

The Wima's have a open and smooth presentation.

I have some ceramic caps loading in my phono, and need to play around with some others, but I'm waiting to do it at the same time as I replace some of the resistors.
 
The general consensus is that ceramics unless specifically audio-intended design do not belong in audio ckts, best used in RF and pulse bypass apps incl chip power bus bypass. WIMA polyprop films are considered very good readily-available audio grade caps.
 
WIMA has a reputation as a maker of high quality capacitors. As for these low values of caps film/foil designs is the best as a rule.
Another common old rule is to never use ceramics in audio, I have always replaced these with either WIMA film/foil or RIFA film/foil!
gusten
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom