• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rare.... JBL L33 Lancers?

dc270

Now Off the Reservation
Did some horse trading with Isotonic a few days back- I ended up with a nice pair of Lancer L33's. The grill covers are very nice (I got badges now too( the cabs are pretty good no big digd, just a basic light sanding need then some top coat finish, complete with origina 8" cast frame, full range drivers. Drivers have new aluminum dust caps with foam pad under them- by spec- BIG alnico magnets, 6.4 ohms each, etc.

I already have them refoamed and new alunimum dust caps- sounding good!

So I go to look these up- reallly not that much infor other than a JBL tech pase with no pictureo drawn out!

So how rare might these be? The do sound good for a single driver set. Soon to be looking good as well!!

Will posts photos later after camera batteries get recharged.

Thanks guys.......
DC
 
Register to hide this ad
Dang, now I want to hear how they sound! Post some pictures for sure!
 
Where did you get your foams? I still need to refoam my LE-8s and passives. I have a high opinion of those drivers! Excellent midrange. I used mine with some of those little Realistic aluminum bullet supertweets. Enjoy them!
 
I think they were Simply Speakwers- I know MSound has the foams as well......
DC
 
Where did you get your foams? I still need to refoam my LE-8s and passives. I have a high opinion of those drivers! Excellent midrange. I used mine with some of those little Realistic aluminum bullet supertweets. Enjoy them!

I always thought they might sound great with a tweet crossed over at around 8 or 10k myself. From what I understand the LE8T covers a broad swath across the audio band. Ideal for vocal intelligibility.
 
I have a pair or LE8Ts being refoamed as we speak myself. Mine came in Aquarius IVs, really looking forward to getting them back and getting the cabs fixed up so I can hear what they will do.
 
I always thought they might sound great with a tweet crossed over at around 8 or 10k myself. From what I understand the LE8T covers a broad swath across the audio band. Ideal for vocal intelligibility.

I too have played with the idea of dropping in a JBL Lancer tweeter as an improvement- but keeping them stock might be better from a collectors stand point....
DC
 
do you have pics of them by any chance? Im sure i could find pics of the paticula speaker. But pics of yours would be nice...
 
Here are some begging pic for you folks- woofers have been re-foamed and new dust caps.
DC
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 150
You would not believe how hard it was just to get the woofer screws loose from the baffle!!
Took me the best part of an hour to breakall 8 of them loose!
DC
 
For the sake of keeping these most nearly original- how many of you would change the factory "weenie" binding posts to decent banana types? Am am not really sure how a collector would accept this modification from original. FWIW- to me, it would be a chnage them to bright brass banana types.
Thanks folks.....
DC
 
Change 'em. You can tape the old one on the back if you ever sell the speakers, or you could sell off the terminals to someone else.
 
Finished JBL L33

OK, finally got the finish on these and completed some testing- they actually sound quite good for an 8" full range! The upper end out past 10~12+khz is perhaps challenged, but is very enjoyable none the less!. The old terminals are taped to the back cornr.

Cabs sanded down & refinished with 2 Poly hand rubbed coats
Cones refoamed
Dust cps replaced
Binding post converted to banana types
JBL Badges installed on grills

Enjoy!
DC
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom