CosmicX
Armchair Quarterback
I am just starting to get back into audio gear after a few year hiatus. I had to sell almost all of my gear due to financial woes 
I spent the 20 years or so before that buying mostly used gear so that I could get higher-end gear at a more reasonable price. I've owned Marantz, Hafler, and most recently Adcom in the power amp area.
The only thing I retained from my previous setup is a pair of Klipsch 2.1 bookshelf speakers, and I plan on using them for at least the first iteration of my new setup. They were perfectly serviceable in my last setup. In the last year, I've been gifted a used Optimus/RadioShack integrated receiver and a Sony 5-disc carousel changer that has analog and optical outputs. I'm going to use that disc changer for a bit, but the receiver will be the first thing to be swapped out.
I have decided this time around I am going to buy factory new, with a warranty and all that. I've been looking for stuff since the beginning of the year, but am ramping up my efforts in earnest now that spring is upon us - in this hemisphere anyway.
I am curious about the new-to-me "hybrid amplifier" (tubes in the pre-amp section and solid state in the output stage), and am looking at a few, but will save any questions about them for the question-oriented sections.
My musical tastes are all over the place. I like rock -- mostly progressive rock, though I will likely never drop my metalhead roots. I am into jazz and blues quite a bit -- all the expected artists. I like a lot of classical music, but haven't explored in depth. Bruckner is probably the composer whose music I've listened to most, and is who I would likely call my favorite at this point.
Hope to cross paths with many of you and make some new acquaintances.
I spent the 20 years or so before that buying mostly used gear so that I could get higher-end gear at a more reasonable price. I've owned Marantz, Hafler, and most recently Adcom in the power amp area.
The only thing I retained from my previous setup is a pair of Klipsch 2.1 bookshelf speakers, and I plan on using them for at least the first iteration of my new setup. They were perfectly serviceable in my last setup. In the last year, I've been gifted a used Optimus/RadioShack integrated receiver and a Sony 5-disc carousel changer that has analog and optical outputs. I'm going to use that disc changer for a bit, but the receiver will be the first thing to be swapped out.
I have decided this time around I am going to buy factory new, with a warranty and all that. I've been looking for stuff since the beginning of the year, but am ramping up my efforts in earnest now that spring is upon us - in this hemisphere anyway.
I am curious about the new-to-me "hybrid amplifier" (tubes in the pre-amp section and solid state in the output stage), and am looking at a few, but will save any questions about them for the question-oriented sections.
My musical tastes are all over the place. I like rock -- mostly progressive rock, though I will likely never drop my metalhead roots. I am into jazz and blues quite a bit -- all the expected artists. I like a lot of classical music, but haven't explored in depth. Bruckner is probably the composer whose music I've listened to most, and is who I would likely call my favorite at this point.
Hope to cross paths with many of you and make some new acquaintances.