• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Reposting a previously used attachment.

jimbofish

for TRULY GREAT MUSIC
Is it possible to post an attachment (pic) to a new post if that attachment has already been used in an older thread? When I upload an attachment of a pic that I've already attached to a post in the past, I get a message that says... "You have already attached this file in thread :" and the pic doesn't show in the new post. I presume I could delete the first pic, but then it would be missing in the OP.
I've searched the FAQs and didn't find any mention of this error.
 
Register to hide this ad
Why would you want to upload the same pic twice? Just go to your old thread, hit edit, copy it out of that, then paste in in the new thread. It'll work both places.
 
Why would you want to upload the same pic twice? Just go to your old thread, hit edit, copy it out of that, then paste in in the new thread. It'll work both places.

Right, or I just right-click on the old pic thumbnail, click copy address, then insert it in the new post.

je
 
Why would you want to upload the same pic twice? Just go to your old thread, hit edit, copy it out of that, then paste in in the new thread. It'll work both places.

Well. I don't really WANT to upload twice, but I want to use the same pic again at a later date in a totally different thread. I don't know how other than to use the "Attachments" feature.

I just tried your edit/copy/paste method. Only the link shows in the new post, not the pic itself.

Even if I could remember that I've already used the pic, I don't remember which thread it was in or low long ago. Searching through all my subscribed threads, then finding the one with the pic I'm looking for takes a lot of time.

It's easy enough to attach a new pic, but seems much more involved to re-use it.:sigh:
 
You have to use the "insert Image? icon or surround the link with the
tags

The problem with reuploading the same picture over and over is you waste disk and db space, that stuff don't come free!
 
Rename the file and see what happens.
Same result.

Re-size and try uploading again.
RC
That might work, but then there will be two, or more if I need the pic again, versions of the same pic on my computer and AK.

You have to use the "insert Image? icon or surround the link with the
tags

The problem with reuploading the same picture over and over is you waste disk and db space, that stuff don't come free!

Paperclip takes me to the "Upload Images" window, which will lead me back in a circle. The pasted link isn't available in the dropdown window next to the paperclip. If I type in the
tags, it does appear as a pic in the post, but not as an attached thumbnail.

In the same window, there's a bar graph labeled "Sum of all attachments owned by jimbofish". Is there some way to access that list and attach them to the new post?
 
No, what was meant above was this:

Find the picture or attachment that you used before. If you click on the attachment, it will open as a new tab and the URL for that attachment will be in the address box. Copy the URL address.

Then move to your new thread. Hit the reply to thread button, giving you the text box. Go the the yellow square that is above the text box just top right of center - its the "insert image" box if you hover over it. By clicking that icon, another box will pop up with "please enter the URL of your image" and an address area. Paste the attachment address in there and press ok.

Your attachment will now appear as a pic embedded in your reply as opposed to attached at the bottom of the reply as an attachment. It also works for other types of files.
 
Here's a post where I did both.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3844965&postcount=83

I uploaded two pictures which appeared as attachments. I then hit preview, and picked up the URL's of the opened attachments. Then I copied those URL's and inserted them as pictures into my post. It does use a bit more bandwidth but it does show the pics at full size or allows for the attachment thumbnail.

Here's where I post the pic url directly of the attachment:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=220425&d=1279184785 No pic appears, but it does act as a link to the pic which will appear if you click on it.

Here's where I post the pic url as a pic with the image brackets: Got pic! Don't copy the thumbnail URL, it will just be the small pic as seen here, instead copy the open attachment pic url.
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php


if you quote this post, in your reply box, you will see the way the VBulletin software handles this. Practice and you'll find it works quite well. The hard part is remembering where and which thread/post you put that first attachment in.
 
Jimbo, what you want to do is absolutely doable, and it's easy. Here's how you make it happen:

1. Go to the top left of any page, and click on "User CP". Go to the bottom of the list on the left and click on "Attachments", and then at the bottom of that window "Show Thumbnails". Bingo!! Every pic you've ever posted on AK! :yes:

2. Find the pic you want to reuse, and click on it. Go the the URL of the window that just opened up in your browser, and copy the URL.

3. Go back to the thread where you want to repost the pic, click on the little "postcard" icon in the edit window, and paste in the URL of your pic, and save it.

Done!
 
You have to use the "insert Image? icon or surround the link with the
tags

The problem with reuploading the same picture over and over is you waste disk and db space, that stuff don't come free!


Bang - this is the trick ... find the old picture, right click on it and grab the link in the URL window of your browser. Go to the new post type the start and End tags for Image
and paste the URL from your first use of the image between the IMAGE tags - with no extra space ... and you have your new copy of the image

Just like this ...
image.php
 
...Go to the new post type the start and End tags for Image
and paste the URL from your first use of the image between the IMAGE tags - with no extra space ... and you have your new copy of the image ...

That's what the "Insert Image" icon does for you automatically.:yes:
 
Jimbo, what you want to do is absolutely doable, and it's easy. Here's how you make it happen:

1. Go to the top left of any page, and click on "User CP". Go to the bottom of the list on the left and click on "Attachments", and then at the bottom of that window "Show Thumbnails". Bingo!! Every pic you've ever posted on AK! :yes:

Done!

Ahhh! That makes it much easier to find.! :thmbsp: Never knew that was there.

Been playing around with this and find you can just drag and drop the link from the left column of the attachments list into the post where ever you want. This doesn't paste the image, just the link. Have to use the copy url/insert image to add the pic.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=216405&d=1277080261

Haven't found any way to add a thumbnail yet. :scratch2:
 
Afaik, the thumbnail at the bottom only happens the first time you upload a file. When you reuse the pic, like we're talking about, you get it full sized.
 
Back
Top Bottom