• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Supex SD900e Moving Coil catridge...

Jon S

Super Member
I bought this cartridge in the late 70s. I rarely used it, maybe 40 hours, definitely under 100. It looks a lot like the current Sumiko or Koetsu Rosewood cartridges, with a wood housing and all. I completely forgot I had it until my Shure V15-V stylus failed (the rubber grommet hardens with age and the stylus stiffens, losing it's compliance).

Does anyone have any idea whether the Supex is still around? Any comments on the sound? I mounted it on an old Sony PSX-9 turntable (graphite arm and all) and a Sony TA-8650 V-FET Integrated amp with a MC input. It sounds pretty good, especially with my Magnepan 1.6QR speakers. I compared the cartridge with the same recording on a vinyl LP and a CD and the LP sounds so much more engaging..

supexsd900e.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
You have a real gem there and should put it to use. Supex is not around anymore. However, the man behind Koetsu worked for Supex. You can see the similar design cues on that model.
 
That was Supex's best cart.
No stylus' available any more. A re-tip maybe.

They go for several hundred with a good stylus attached.

..
 
Back
Top Bottom