• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I took some "Before & After" microscope shots of a record I cleaned this morning. Wow

the_nines

Lunatic Member
I just picked up a USB microscope last week and I've been having a blast with it. :tresbon:

Thought I would take some shots of a used record I bought last week which looks to be in VG+ condition, no scratches, fairly shiny, a bit of dust on it. Obviously needs a wash.




Here's the record:

IMG_1396_zps095ba5a3.jpg






This is what the record looks like under the scope at 150x magnification:

Image37_zps1f98d0af.jpg






This is what the record looks like after I have used the carbon fiber brush for a few revolutions. Some of the dust seems to have gone away but there are still particles in the grooves:

Image31_zps9dccf4f5.jpg






And this is what the record looks like after being washed and vacuumed on my record cleaning machine:

Image39_zpsfa563ade.jpg



I'm still learning how to use the scope at higher magnification. Apologies if the pics are not "crisp enough".

Just thought I would share what I saw.

Thanks for viewing.


......
 
Register to hide this ad
Great shots. Thank you for including the carbon fibre cleaning shot in your test too. Interesting to see how much difference it makes and how much better an RCM does. The results of this experiment can be easily confirmed with your ears, too, wouldn't you say?
 
Great shots. Thank you for including the carbon fibre cleaning shot in your test too. Interesting to see how much difference it makes and how much better an RCM does. The results of this experiment can be easily confirmed with your ears, too, wouldn't you say?

Most definitely.
 
Very nice for $69! 150x is pretty much at the resolution limit for optical microscope.

If it has a tripod and can be positioned orthogonally to the record surface, you'd get better pics
 
That is very cool......I don't know what I want more now...RCM or the scope.....I think RCM first
 
Thanks for that enlightening before and after. Do you think every little white spot would make the record pop?
 
Great pics. That's why I tell people a RCM is one of the best purchases you can make for you records. I bought an Okki Nokki a few months ago after using a Spin-Clean for years and the difference is audible. I'm not knocking the SC because for the price it's great but if anyone can upgrade I recommend it.
 
...Apologies if the pics are not "crisp enough".

Just thought I would share what I saw.

Thanks for viewing.


......

Are you serious?!? Those pics are great! What a revelation for folks who don't realize what an RCM can do for your records.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics! :thmbsp:
 
Thanks for that enlightening before and after. Do you think every little white spot would make the record pop?

I would think that if the spot is hard, it will probably make a pop and worst will probably damage the groove and perhaps the stylus itself. If the spot is soft you may not hear a pop, but it will almost surely accumulate on the stylus.
 
What's up with the color change? The first 2 pics, before cleaning, were kind of blue. The clean picture shows pinkish. Is that actually dirt removed that changed the color?
 
Back
Top Bottom