• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any Home Machinists Out There?

Yamaha B-2

registered user
Banned
Ok....am putting this in the Speakers Forum as it is for speaker stands. I want to build a pair of stands (actually, several pair) and need some machine work on 1" or 1.25" aluminum. Mill the 1" sides, break the edges, drill, countersink and tap the holes, etc., on the attached. Six pieces per set. So....who has a Bridgeport and wants a little work? Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • NS-1000M Stands1.jpg
    NS-1000M Stands1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 64
Register to hide this ad
I could get it done for you, but I think Mark W. has a milling machine of his own and is on a winter lay-off or some such. - Mark
 
Have you priced the aluminum???? Or, do you have a source for remenants at a good price. I am guessing the side are at least 9"x9". By the way, with the right blades, one could do it with woodworking tools. But a bridgeport is the way to go. It will be easier to get a good finish.
 
Lots of aluminum on eBay. Also, I've got an RFQ in to a couple of local places. We'll see what they come up with. Definitely need a mill to get the right finish. Can stack all the pieces that are the same dimensions and do a flycut along the edges. Fast and clean. Can also line them up on the table and drill them several at a time, as well.

Will also price out some plywood on this, as well. But, aluminum would be much nicer.
 
I made a pair of stands using 4in Aluminum Bar stock for a pair of DIY Danes I had and it cost me almost 300 bucks by the time I finished. . . They looked great but were costly.

I made a pair of Oak veneer syands that I put almost 50 pounds of lead shot or sand for a solid stand just last week. . .It cost me nothing but a couple bucks for the stain and topcoat. I had everything else. They work great. . .
 
Machining would certainly yield a better finish on the edges but with a bit of effort and finesse it could be done with a saw, grinder, drill press, and hand buffer with very nice results. Aluminum is easy to get a multiple of desired finishes. What about sealling the finish? Anodizing can be done at home with some fairly inexpensive chemicals and a power supply.

mac
 
While I am aware of this, I prefer to spend my time on more entertaining and enjoyable (to me) enterprises. Besides, handling all the chemicals and the proper disposal of metallic wastes is a problem. And I don't care to dump illegally.
 
Back
Top Bottom