• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Knight KN2350A Speakers

02County

AK Member
Just bought a pair of Knight speakers off a guy for $60. I'm quite new to the speaker stuff and this is sort of a first run at cleaning up some old gear so any thoughts on these things would be very much appreciated!

he had them wired up and they worked but sounded quite muddy. Muted. Not very clean at all. THe caps on the crossovers look very old and will likely need to be replaced. Was thinking I would go through and try to fix up all the usual suspects and see how that worked. If anyone knows what I should be looking for on these things, or even what kind of components they carry, I'd be all ears.

This is what the insides look like -
4h1ubdnpr


nbxl1snrj


d88v5n70v
 

Attachments

  • knight 4.jpg
    knight 4.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 201
  • knights 2.jpg
    knights 2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 313
  • knight 3.jpg
    knight 3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 231
Register to hide this ad
The first three pics don't show up for me, but after looking online they seem like decent speakers with electrovoice drivers. What does the crossover look like?
 
Aww man, I thought I'd loaded them correctly. The photos are showing on my screen but let me try again - heres the cross over -

lvgdn3lfx
 

Attachments

  • Crossover.jpg
    Crossover.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 259
Drivers are all Electrovoice. It's interesting -- the woofer and MR are the same as, or similar to, the original EV Four, but the EV Four (for whatever reason) used an EV cone tweeter rather than a horn.

In essence, the drivers are virtually the same as the early Klipsch Heresy... the box is probably a bit larger and the MR horn is (I'm speculating, but not clueless) better sounding than the rather rough n tumble Heresy.
 
That is a nice set of speakers. Changing the caps should solve you problems with the. sound. Are these the model with the 15" base driver? Show us all of the speaker.
 
Awesome. Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

Heres the front view - really nice walnut-looking cabinet. Measures 25" tall, 14" wide, 13.5 deep

843tc7rrj
 
Naw that's a 12 -- same basket as the later SP12B in an "OEM" version. I wouldn't be surprised if it's essentially an EV 12BW in a different basket.

Another way to look at these Knights -- they're a variation on the (wonderful, IMO) EV Esquire 200 with a horn and compression driver MR instead of an EV LS-8 twincone MR driver.

Here's a "Real" EV Four (except for the cheezy aftermarket MR horn and driver -- yeah, I did that)

EV4innards by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Here's the proper (plastic) EV MR horn & AlNiCo compression driver (same driver as the Knight):

EV4horn1 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

And here's an EV Esquire (200):

EV Esquire noflash by mhardy6647, on Flickr

FWIW, I didn't much care for the Fours (even with the right MR horn/driver); I like the Esquires - a lot.
 
btw - Ive never seen caps like these before, with wiring coming out of both ends. Is there any trick to replacing these? My only - very limited - experience is with repcapping an late 90s amp - Thanks for all the responses - very appreciated -
 
The caps must be early electrolytics. Too-small to be oil caps. I love the old Knight cabs.

What's the deal with that woofer? Why is the back of the magnet-structure open like that?

One thing I like about these old drivers (the good ones, at least) is the size of the magnets. I know alnico ones look bigger, but the higher-quality speaker manufacturers back in the day seemed to feel that a good driver needs a fat magnet (and high flux density, or whatever they called it).
 
Last edited:
^
Caps are caps. (in speakers anyways) As long as they have the printed value and they look small and old, time to replace with some nice polys
Yeah, what is up with the woofer? It doesn't look right whatsoever, like something's missing.
 
I assume you're talking about the photo of the sub on the knight, not the one mhardy6647? Or both?

What should it look like?

The guy I bought it from did mention something about the size of the magnets and how they were built back in the old days. He seemed to think that was a good thing?
 
He means the woofer, I presume.
The magnets aren't all that large (although not tiny either); there's a large, decorative "bell cover" cast into the basket, though.

attachment.php


What is nice about the old EV woofers was that the frames were cast -- substantial, dimensionally stable (or so EV said), and well made. EV drivers sold separately had nice finishes -- the drivers they put into their own cabinets (including these Knights which I'd reckon were made by EV or EV subcontractors, including cabiners) were unpainted and not as aesthetic.
 
Last edited:
It's a woofer, not a sub-woofer and there would normally be a cover like these Knight's in my console

IMG_3532.JPG
 
If these were sold assembled, the cover was probably never there. No need to spend the pennies when no one will see it. The over-the-counter drivers have to be pretty for the punters.

Threads about these show up now and then, I've never seen covers on the woofers.
 
Sweet. I can't wait to get some new caps on these things. In looking around online, my sense is that Solen metallized propylene capacitors might be the best for this job - or at least they seem best suited for it?

A former owner - he put his name on the inside of the cabinets - lined the interior joints with some kind of silly putty. You can see it in some of the pictures. Does this do anything for the speaker?
 
Back
Top Bottom