• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

laser transfer, solution for those worn faceplates?

elnaldo

Lunatic Member
Hello. I wanted to share this solution I've found very effective.

As many of you have seen in the last month I was fixing a Crown amp.

If came very dirty. And when cleaning it, the letters on the front started to vanish !!!!! :thumbsdn:

After some days of desperation, remembered I did this in the past, and tried on this unit: Laser prints or xerox copies, transferred with acetone or thinner. Here is a before-after shot. This letters are quite big. The technique will work better with smaller letters:

P1120090.JPG


P1120104.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
Here is what you need, and how to do it (DIY):

YOU WILL BE USING VOLATILE AND FLAMMABLE SOLVENTS, SO WORK IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA, READ THE WARNING AT THE SOLVENT CAN.

I DID IT IN MY BALCONY, AT OPEN AIR.

You need to design, draw, write, scan, a high quality original using a computer.

I did it this way: Took a 6 mega pixel picture, with a ruler on it (that's why the "before" pict has a ruler), scaled it to 1:1 size on my computer, and typed the letters at 100% over the original pict, choosing the right font. To choose the font, I've pictured another part of the amp where original letters were still legible.

A "hi quality" original means (to me) a vector file (like typography you write on a text editor, or drawing made in vector editing software, like Adobe Illustr, Corel Draw, Impress, and others), or a hi resolution BITMAP, a Black and White bitmap at 800 or 1200 DPI could work. I prefer vectors when possible.

A "regular" color or grayscale pict, at 300 dpi, won't work. You need sharp edges, and you get this using vectors or bitmaps at high resolutions (800 dpi or more).

Then, printed on laser B-W, mirrored, at 100%. Note the guides I draw from the original pict at 100%. PRINT A LOT of them, and made some xerox copies, since sometimes, the copy works better, sometimes the original works better.

P1120105.jpg


Then, place and tape it on the faceplate. (here are the guides...)

P1120091.JPG


P1120093.JPG


I've tried acetone, and thinner. In my case, this worked better:

P1120095.jpg


The task is VERY SIMPLE, but it's a trial - error process. It seems the transfer is VERY sensitive to a lot of variables, like how wet is the paper, how much time you press on it, the pressure you do, the quality of the print.

So be prepared to do it MANY times (I think I've tried at least 50 times to get a good one), and even if in some of the tries NOTHING is transfered, it doesn't mean it doesn't work. Try with less thinner, more thinner, less time, more time, more pressure, less pressure. I'll describe MY technique at the end, what worked best after 50 or more tries.

So, place the paper.

you need to apply a light coat of solvent on the metal surface, press the paper on it, and wet the back of the paper with more solvent.

You have to be fast since this are volatile liquids.

wet the surface:
P1120092.jpg


Press the paper with more solvent:
P1120096.jpg


P1120097.jpg


This are 2 "failed" tries:

P1120098.jpg


P1120100.jpg


This is a good one, the final one. (you have to be prepared, each try could be the good one, so prepare everything each time as the 1st time):

P1120101.jpg


P1120102.jpg


More failed tries....
P1120103.jpg


Finally, to get the good transfer, in my case and with this material, I did this way:

from the ORIGINAL laser print (xerox copies worked better on other materials, but here, the original was better), very little solvent on the metal, very quickly pressed the paper with more solvent for like 2 seconds or more, then removed the cotton and pressed hard on the back of the paper with my nail, to adhere the toner to the metal. Some people press with a spoon, but I prefer my finger.

As stated, it's not an "industrial" procedure, you can't measure it. Doing almost the same, in some tries nothing was transferred, like putting too much solvent dissolves the transfer and put it back on the paper, and using too little doesn't remove the toner from the paper.

I hope this can help other people with this same problem.
 
Last edited:
I didn't try the heat method. I've seen you need to dissolve the paper with water after the transfer.

There is also a "transfer paper", what you use to transfer printed circuits to make a PCB, that will work.
 
I've made a lot of circuit boards using the heat transfer method and the trick is to find the right paper that will soften and release the letters when wet. The special transfer paper is coated with something and isn't really necessary for success. Regardless of method, once the letters are on the panel needs to be coated for durability, and I don't have a foolproof method for that yet.

One nice thing about these methods is that you can transfer some fancy logos like the Fisher bird, cleaning up the image in any good photo program.
 
Nice trick, Elnaldo. I would also think that thermally setting the carbon toner (as a printer would do) might make the application more durable.
 
I've made a lot of circuit boards using the heat transfer method and the trick is to find the right paper that will soften and release the letters when wet.

... So, this is another variable to the equation...

Many years ago (like 20 or more..) I've used to fix the laser toner to some acetate sheets using a laquer spray used by artists to fix charcoal to paper. I bought that laquer at an arts shop.
 
Many years ago (like 45 or more..) I was updating lettering and numbers on the annealed aluminum cases of Line Replaceable Units (LRUs) of airborne radar systems. We were given dry letter transfers, but as you learned, they don't always work completely. I had a fine pointed Rapidograph drafting pen filled with black India ink, and would touch up the lettering before applying a protective covering.

I recently saw an AN/APQ-120 radar system in a company museum, and noticed that two of the LRUs reference designators had been "repaired" by me. So, this method will stand the test of time.
 
nice topic, so does anyone have a good method for fixation after the transfer as i clean my material rigorously most of the time, would be a shame to wipe it off
 
Laser toner is resistant to water, but not to solvents.

You should try on a spare aluminum piece and find what works better for you.
 
Many years ago (like 45 or more..) I was updating lettering and numbers on the annealed aluminum cases of Line Replaceable Units (LRUs) of airborne radar systems. We were given dry letter transfers, but as you learned, they don't always work completely. I had a fine pointed Rapidograph drafting pen filled with black India ink, and would touch up the lettering before applying a protective covering.

I recently saw an AN/APQ-120 radar system in a company museum, and noticed that two of the LRUs reference designators had been "repaired" by me. So, this method will stand the test of time.

Very cool
 
Many years ago (like 45 or more..) I was updating lettering and numbers on the annealed aluminum cases of Line Replaceable Units (LRUs) of airborne radar systems. We were given dry letter transfers, but as you learned, they don't always work completely. I had a fine pointed Rapidograph drafting pen filled with black India ink, and would touch up the lettering before applying a protective covering.

I recently saw an AN/APQ-120 radar system in a company museum, and noticed that two of the LRUs reference designators had been "repaired" by me. So, this method will stand the test of time.
Thanks for the reminder! I had forgot about Rapidograph pens. They come in different diameter tips too.:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom