• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual cs5000

vintagetuber

Spin to Win
I have an opportunity to purchase a dual cs5000 in wood. It is in near perfect condition, and includes the dust cover. It has the adjustable headshell with a mediocre cartridge. How would this compare to my HK t40 in sound quality if they were each equipped with good cartridges? Is it worth selling the t40 and my Technics sl-d3 to finance it? He wants $550 for it, but I think I can get it for less. Any insight here would help.
 
Register to hide this ad
Are you in Dallas? I think I just saw the dual you speak of and damn is it beautiful! If you are not in Dallas then never mind...

Sent with my thumbs via tapatalk.
 
IMHO-The Dual CS5000 is one of the most beautiful turntables ever manufactured.There are better tables for the money but none prettier.
 
That's the curious thing with the 5000; it certainly looks terrific, but it doesn't seem to live up to its appearance, performance-wise. It certainly brings a lot of $$$ usually. I've always wanted one, but for purely irrational reasons.

Happy trails,
Larry B.
 
Thanks for the input. I didnt have any experience with this TT. My T40 is really sounding nice as the Ortofon blue breaks in. Be a shame to give that up for a pretty face.
 
I own a natural wood base CS5000. I find it to be a great table for my needs. The bonus is that you already have an ortofon cart, since the stock cart was originally an ortofon cart with a Dual label on it. Another bonus is that it still has the VTA headshell, which alone sells for $50+ as they are getting hard to find these days (I have 4 of them for swapping). $550 is a bit steep, but I have seen them command more than that in pristine condition. I wouldn't sell mine, even for $550, but would recommend you try to buy closer to the $400-450 range if it is in really nice shape, and you don't have to worry about shipping it.
 
I have a CS5000 in wood. I find it to be an excellent turntable. I have an Ortofon MC20Super on it and it always sounds superb. Mine came with the adjustable headshell and I didn't like the headshell because you don't get a nice rigid mount for your cartridge. I modified mine to make it fixed and used spacers to adjust VTA. Maybe the adjustable headshell is the reason for the comments about mediocre performance. I think $200 is a fair price. If it's on CL, just watch it awhile and the price will drop.
 
Poor comparison IMHO. The CS-5000 is very nicely made with a decent wooden base, but the item in your avatar seems to be largely made of plastic...:D

About my avatar:
During the Cold War a western reporter asked a Soviet General what he thought of the NATO superiority in weapons technology as compared to Soviet technology. At that time the Soviets had around 50,000 tanks. NATO had around 6000. The general wryly smiled at the reporter and said:
"Quantity has a quality all it's own"

About my Dual TT comments:
I own two Dual 1229's (and other tables as well) The CS-5000 is much better than my Dual 1229s. I'd sell both of my 1229's to have one CS-5000.

$550 buys a lot in the used TT market. Like I suggested, I think you could get a "better" TT at that price than the Dual but you won't find a better looking TT for that price. Example- I could get a good Technics SL-1200 class TT for $400-$450.

Is it better?-I'd bet money on a vote of the AK member base that the consensus would be that the SL-1200 would win.

It is Technics better looking? Only if you think my Avatar is prettier than the new Sports Illustrated swim suit cover.

Would you hear the difference between the two tables?-To many variables to tell. What cartridge? What pre? What speakers? Where can I do a blind A/B test? (That always gets somebody spinning on their office chair.)

What would i rather have?-Tough call but i think I would go for the Dual. I'm a sucker for a pretty face. Can't you tell???
 
I also own two Dual CS5000's. One has a Shure V15-Type V-MR and the other has a Sumiko Blue Point No. 2. I have had great luck with both of them, one of which I bought brand new in the mid-80's.

The only problem I've ever had with either of these turntables was the hard-wired output cable. Once the jacks on the end of the cable got worn I started getting hum issues. Eventually I had the turntables modified so that I could use any cables I wanted to use...and, as a bonus, no more hum!

I'd definitely go $500 for one of these tables if it were in very good to excellent condition and had a half-way decent cartridge with it.
 
I have one too and I love it. Don't be dissuaded by the comments concerning the adjustable VTA headshell. My Astatic MF 200 is as solid as a rock mounted in that headshell. The key is to make sure that the set screw is loosened before you adjust the VTA, then you have to remember to tighten the set screw (don't overtighten) after adjustment and your cart will be solid as ever. The adjustable VTA actually works, too. I've adjusted mine and it totally changed my listening experience.
 
Last edited:
I have 5 headshells for my CS5000, 4 of them being the VTA adjustable and one the carbon fiber headshell from a CS7000 "Golden One". It still puzzles me as to why the "higher end" model has no VTA adjustment.
 
The headshell system is the major weakness on this line. They are excellent turntables but overpriced when new (the CS 5000 was less than $20 away from a new Thorens TD 160 Mk III in the era). The Dual used is a good buy but is best used with high compliance cartridges (the Ortofon OM is ideal for it). And make sure your example is in top order, the plastic internal parts used in this line haven't always aged the best. In nice order, it will be musical and thrill you. P.S. The VTA system was not used in the Golden One as they had issues with it and the Golden One was a later introduction. $200-$300 for a nice example of CS 5000 would be my comfort zone.
 
The headshell system is the major weakness on this line.

Kent, would you care to elaborate on this? I have read similar comments about the adjustable VTA headshell, but this has not been my real-world experience. As I stated above, my Astatic MF 200 is rock solid mounted in this headshell and adjusting the VTA really improved my listening experience.
 
If you think that the 5000 is a great turntable, then it is indeed a great turntable.
Plastic. Plastic. Plastic. This includes the platter support and much of the arm. Dual initially used plastic disguised as metal only in the lesser models.
 
If you think that the 5000 is a great turntable, then it is indeed a great turntable.
Plastic. Plastic. Plastic. This includes the platter support and much of the arm. Dual initially used plastic disguised as metal only in the lesser models.

Oh, I see, plastic = inherently bad...
 
Plastic is not strong. It resonates or just plain fatigues and breaks [eg:the platter bearing support on the 5000]. The rear of a 1229Q arm is carbon fiber. The entire 1219/1229 arm is a variety of alloys. So is the platter support. The 1019 arm is all alloy. The 701 arm is rigid alloy. The 1249 and 601 are alloy. Just about everything else is downhill from there.
 
Indeed. And many of the CS 5000 had issues with plastic deterioration. The headshell was also sloppy on this model too. And no upgrade for the arm. This was not a good era for Dual quality, they were cost cut. When $20-$30 difference bought you a Thorens TD 160 Mk III or IV, a foolish purchase. The Thorens was better stock, could accept better tonearms beyond the excellent stock tonearm, was simpler, was better built to begin with, and aged better. The Dual CS 5000 was fairly a US $230 new table.
 
Back
Top Bottom