• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF 104/2 Ferrofluid Removed... Replace or leave out?

absolve2525

Super Member
I stumbled upon a pair of these that weren't abused, with the Kube. I replaced all four foam donuts, and removed all the thick old ferrofluid. Wow, removing that fluid was a huge difference. Now, I'm wondering if I should add new fresh ferrofluid or just leave them without. Im not worried about overpowering, I'm careful not to play at deafening levels. I've removed ferrofluid from drivers before, and last time, I preferred the sound without. That was a different situation, however, and I'm wondering if the sound may be negatively impacted by leaving it out. Has anyone compared with these? I haven't replaced any caps yet, still wondering what to do with that. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Replace with Ferrotec fluid from Parts Express a 100 uL vial per tweeter is enough.

The caps would be the last thing to do. On mine, that the was the most expensive step and provided the smallest amount of payback.
 
Thanks for the tips, Baco! I just ordered some packets. Did you do any updates/recapping of the KUBE box, if you have that also ?
 
I have the KUBE, but I have not opened it up. it works, and I'm fine leaving it alone!
 
I replaced the ferrofluid. Definite improvement. With no fluid, there was kind of a brittleness in the lower treble region. Now we're back to the original design, and I'm finally really enjoying what I hear! Thanks again, Baco! How do you have your Kube controls set? I haven't hooked it back up yet. My current downstairs listening room is kinda boomy, making the extra EQ a little overwhelming.
 
Back
Top Bottom