AlleyKat
Super Member
I just received an NOS Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 Digital-to-Analog Converter, purchased as a "Buy It Now" item off the bay at $34.99 + shipping. For a grand total of just over $50, I finally have the chance to experiment in an area that I hope will allow me to enjoy my digital music collection
Once I have the unit set up and burned in, I will add a posting to this thread as to its actual performance. In the interim, I had to post a quotation from the owners manual.
IMPORTANT NOTE
Your Number Cruncher requires a "burn-in" period during which it's recommended that the unit be played continuously (approximately 24-48 hours initially. Total break-in time is approximately one month of fairly regular usage.) Since this is not often feasible, you can expect the tonal qualities of your Number Cruncher DAC to change slightly as the unit "settles in" during its first 24 hours of use. As with any high performance component, speakers or cables, the time it takes to acclimate your Number Cruncher to the ebb and flow of the electron tide will be well worth it."
Will advise as to the status of the tidal flow...... :scratch2:
(Attached picture is a stock photo)
Once I have the unit set up and burned in, I will add a posting to this thread as to its actual performance. In the interim, I had to post a quotation from the owners manual.
IMPORTANT NOTE
Your Number Cruncher requires a "burn-in" period during which it's recommended that the unit be played continuously (approximately 24-48 hours initially. Total break-in time is approximately one month of fairly regular usage.) Since this is not often feasible, you can expect the tonal qualities of your Number Cruncher DAC to change slightly as the unit "settles in" during its first 24 hours of use. As with any high performance component, speakers or cables, the time it takes to acclimate your Number Cruncher to the ebb and flow of the electron tide will be well worth it."
Will advise as to the status of the tidal flow...... :scratch2:
(Attached picture is a stock photo)
The bottom end is much tighter, more musical. The mids and highs are dramaticallly improved. Gone is that CD harshness, that in your face quality of CD highs that has always bothered me. The mids are warmer, with astounding detail. It isn't as though there is any exaggeration or addition to the sound,the unit actually seems to clear the way for you to hear the music, with detail that was missing from that provided by the inboard DAC of the DVD/CD player.