• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 622

Divotdog

"I can fix it Grampa"
I was going to give this to my son for Christmas in a system that I built for him, however as I took it apart to clean it I realized that it was a lot better TT than I thought it was, so he is going to get a Technics that I had around, the dual seems to be a nice table in a POS base, I dug around the shop a little and found a piece of African Mahogany that I believe will rectify this situation. :scratch2:
 

Attachments

  • 000_0674.JPG
    000_0674.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 227
  • 000_0675.JPG
    000_0675.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 000_0677.JPG
    000_0677.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 159
Register to hide this ad
Mine is awaiting a cartridge

I have a 622 also. Got it off ebay last year needing a cartridge. Just bought a new MX97 for it or my Philips, but have'nt gotten around to messing with it yet. What cartridge are you running? I agree that the base is kind cheap looking. Are you going to veneer it or make a whole new base?

RJ
 
RJ, I have run this with a Grado Black and it sounded pretty good, this was the first TT I had on my system when I got back into this hobby and I don't think that I ever had it set up very well, I am out in the shop today cutting the wood to make a whole new base, when I tore it down I found that the chassis sat in a plastic frame (this could not be good), this frame is one piece with the cover hinge, so I guess that I am going to end up with a lift off cover, no big deal really as I prefer to take the cover off as I listen anyway.
 
Looks good. I was actually thinking of getting a 622 also, even though my 522 hasn't even arrived yet. Let us know how it sounds when you've got the new base together and everything is fully set up.
 
Got her rough cut out, time to start figuring out how to mount the chassis :scratch2:
 

Attachments

  • 000_0679.JPG
    000_0679.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 000_0680.JPG
    000_0680.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 174
Finished the chassis support, and glued her all up
 

Attachments

  • 000_0683.JPG
    000_0683.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 250
  • 000_0682.JPG
    000_0682.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 140
I couldn't stand it, had to throw the TT in just to see how it looked
 

Attachments

  • 000_0684.JPG
    000_0684.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 241
RJ, Let's see how she sounds first :D
JW, I was thinking oil then wax, this is what I used on the walnut on my ARXA and it turned out magnificent :thmbsp:
 
Finished it up this evening, 6 coats of boiled linseed oil, around 15 coats of wax.
 

Attachments

  • 000_0690.JPG
    000_0690.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 256
  • 000_0691.JPG
    000_0691.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 864
  • 000_0688.JPG
    000_0688.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,002
Here are the pics Mel.

Need to get this one into service
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0671.JPG
    DSCN0671.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN0672.JPG
    DSCN0672.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN0674.JPG
    DSCN0674.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0675.JPG
    DSCN0675.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 94
This is unbelievble! Beware, museum curators will be after you!

This isn't a turntable plinth - it is an altar to music. Sources in NYC tell me that museum acquisition curators have been dispatched from the Guggenheim and the Museum of Modern Art to take this plinth into their collections. Reports are that they've been spotted fighting in the terminal at LaGuardia before boarding the plane for Boise. Upon entering the aircraft, they both received knoogies from flight attendants, finally calming down and being strapped into their seats with duct tape by TSA agents.

Divotdog said:
Finished it up this evening, 6 coats of boiled linseed oil, around 15 coats of wax.
 
Good lookin' TT RJ, as soon as I get to tweaking i"ll let you know how it works. :thmbsp:
PeterFCassidy said:
This isn't a turntable plinth - it is an altar to music. Sources in NYC tell me that museum acquisition curators have been dispatched from the Guggenheim and the Museum of Modern Art to take this plinth into their collections. Reports are that they've been spotted fighting in the terminal at LaGuardia before boarding the plane for Boise. Upon entering the aircraft, they both received knoogies from flight attendants, finally calming down and being strapped into their seats with duct tape by TSA agents.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Thanks Peter! :thmbsp:
 
It is hooked to the garage system now, with an AT series III cart, tracking at 1.5g, this system has the TT sitting right above the receiver with the speakers directly on either side, in the original plinth the tone arm would begin to feedback at about 9:00 on the volume knob, I immediately noticed that I was able to turn the volume to about 12:00 before any kind of feedback (I assume because of the 10 or 11 pounds I added to the TT), also my initial reaction is that the TT is considerably quieter than it was originally. :scratch2:
 
Update

After not being able to get to my main system for a week and a half, I finally was able to hook this up and give it a listen, I replaced the AT cart with the Grado black off of my Kenny.

After listening to Pink Floyd~DSOM, Dire Straits~Love Over Gold, and Supertramp~Crime of the Century, this table sounds far better than it did in the original plinth, considerably quieter than it was, far more presence than it originally had, I am not sure that the Grado is a good match for the Dual tone arm but I will spend some more time with it before I decide for sure.
 

Attachments

  • 000_0693.JPG
    000_0693.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 800
NICE!!!!

I have 1/2 of a Dual 1219( no base). Do not have any wood working tools at home:( The Army base I work at has a wood shop:) All I have to do is get up early on a Sat and pay $5.00 for the "Dont stick your fingers here" talk, and I can use it... Hmmmmm After seeing what you did.... Hmmmmmm I think it is time to get up early next Sat. and pay the piper:)
 
Back
Top Bottom