• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

First grill and cloth replacement

Urizen

Lunatic Member
I finally got around to making new grills and installing new cloth for my Dynaco A-25s. I found the cloth, a thin open weave off-white burlap, at Hancock Fabrics for $1.99 a yard. I used 1/4 OFB from Lowe's, which ended up being free after the clerk cut four pieces (two extra in case I fubared the first set). Luckily he had a scrap left over from a previous customer.

I used one of the old broken grills as a template to cut the holes in the OFB with a cutout saw. After cutting the holes I painted the front of the grills with flat black spray paint.

The fabric was a pain to work with for it kept unraveling on the edges and sticking to my fingers. I used Welbond rubber cement to attach the cloth to the grills. (reminder to self - use vinyl gloves when handling rubber cement:D ) I had some trouble getting the weave perfectly strait, but did the best I could. The cloth is tight. It took me about two hours, having to let the paint and glue dry between steps.

They are a perfect and tight fit. I used the thinnest velcro strips I could find to attach the grills to the front baffle, so they are removable.

Thanks again to MarkAnderson for the missing Dynaco badge.

Here are a few pics.

Regards,

Ken

grill4.jpg


grill6.jpg


grill5.jpg


grill7.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Those look great Ken. I have two pair of A-25s and if I cannot clean the fabric I may go your route.

cubdog
 
I use these shot-filled Lovan Jazz 18" stands for all of my large bookshelf speakers. They bring the tweeters closer to ear level, where I like 'em.:music:

Thanks, Mike!
 
Nice looking job Ken! I have been looking for a similar grille cloth and Im going to have to check out Hancock. There is one not far from me.
 
OUTSTANDING WORK!!!

See you had a bottle of the rubber cement with the brush in the cap. A while back I was doing some grills and went down to get a can of the stuff and grabbed the wrong can (but it turned out to be better stuff). I ended up with some rubber cement that was the consistence of paste. It went on with a brush and was easy to apply. You could use a wood stir stick and "plop" out a glob on your frame and use a brush to spread it out. Seemed to be a bit less messy and bit easier to apply than the bottle stuff. Might want to give it a try next time...
 
OMI said:
Seemed to be a bit less messy and bit easier to apply than the bottle stuff. Might want to give it a try next time...

I will. The brush supplied with the bottle bites.

Thanks!

Ken
 
Nice looking job, Urizen! :thmbsp: Aileen's tacky glue works wonders too, and you can thin it a bit with water if you need to. I did some Advent grills, and just glued the cloth on the back edge after I folded it over. Nice tight fit, and I made a little loop of black grosgrain ribbon that sticks out the top just enough to hook it and pull the grill off. It's glued on the back with the fabric, and the fit of the grill pushes it up against the front edge of the speaker when the grill is in place, you don't even notice it. No velcro involved.
 
Urizen... :thmbsp:

I made a little loop of black grosgrain ribbon that sticks out the top just enough to hook it and pull the grill off.

GREAT idea!


I am more convinced than ever that the average AK'er is somewhat above average intellegence!
 
Great job, I used that same off-white burlap on my two pair of Advents, found it at JoAnn's. Only difference was using a fabric cement I found at a local craft shop that was going out of business. I left the original black fabric under the burlap, not for any acoustical purpose but just because it hides the shadow of the speakers.

Rob
 
Looks great!!:thmbsp: I'm sure that loose weave fabric was a real bear to get on straight. Nice work. :yes: :yes:

Paul
 
Look's great.

Just an FYI for the future, rather than the rubber cement try 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive. The craft stores have it. It's in a spray can. Just spray it on, let stand for about 10 min. It gets tacky and holds real well. Do the corners first and then work around the fabric.

Not messy at all.
 
Carpet tape is also a good way to stick the cloth to the backing material. Use 1 1/2" tape and split it lengthwise into 3/4" wide strips.

WARNING -- removing the cover paper from the tape can be a character-building experience. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom