• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

80's FRIED G3 G-3 Transmission Line SPECS?

Gee Emm

New Member
Have been listening to these for about a week now...continually impressed. I wanted to know if anyone out there had specs, also if anyone else out there has listened to these monsters. They weigh close to 200 lbs each. 10" 6" and dome. The screens are deteriorating...so I m trying to listen to them without, but I am concerned about the hi-frequency dispersion the screens provide..anyway....if anyone has a first hand opinion, I would like to hear it. They are being powered by a Pioneer Elite A-51 dual mono 100 watt amp that seems well suited.
 

Attachments

  • fried.jpg
    fried.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 150
Register to hide this ad
I know nothing about those but they do look like they might sound great. Welcome to AK.
 
yes, they do sound great. I am sure they respond to 30hz or lower, and the stereo image is about 2 feet behind the speakers..so they are well designed for sure...
 
I don't know anything about them either but they remind me of Snell C models with the slanted back mid/tweet.

Thanks for the pic, never seen them before.
 
bluebook says;

FRIED SPK, G/3
Description: TRANS LINE, 3-WAY, 10" WOOFER, 6.5" MIDRANGE, 3/4" TWEETER
Manufacture Years: 1986 - 1993
Power: 200watts
MSRP: $1,550.00
USED: $540.00
 
Gee Emm said:
Have been listening to these for about a week now...continually impressed. I wanted to know if anyone out there had specs, also if anyone else out there has listened to these monsters. They weigh close to 200 lbs each. 10" 6" and dome. The screens are deteriorating...so I m trying to listen to them without, but I am concerned about the hi-frequency dispersion the screens provide..anyway....if anyone has a first hand opinion, I would like to hear it. They are being powered by a Pioneer Elite A-51 dual mono 100 watt amp that seems well suited.

If by screens you mean grill cloths, they usually have nothing to do with dispersion. They are usually there to protect the tweeters.:smoke:
 
hey Joe; thanks for the comment, but I disagree..these have the thick 1/2" foam grills...the kind that deteriorate after 25 years or less....they definitely effect the sound...at least in the hi-frequency department. I guess i wanted to see soem real specs to see if there was a mention of operation without the covers.
 
Gee Emm said:
hey Joe; thanks for the comment, but I disagree..these have the thick 1/2" foam grills...the kind that deteriorate after 25 years or less....they definitely effect the sound...at least in the hi-frequency department. I guess i wanted to see soem real specs to see if there was a mention of operation without the covers.
What foam grills or any kind of grills do is act as a filter on the high frequencies. They are not for changing or effecting horizontal or vertical dispersion.:smoke:
 
ok.......so if the grills look like crap, and I want to ditch them and take off all the crappy looking velcro grippy tape stuff...maybe get some rings for around the cone drivers...how could i compensate for the lack of the grills?
 
I can vouch for the IMF pedigree.
I have Bolly's old IMF TLS-50's (4 way transmission line) and they sound wonderful down to 23 hz.
Once you go transmission, you can't go back !
I don't understand why more manufacturers don't utilise this method.
Bass as good as live.
I have many great sounding mids and highs speakers including these, but these bring the bass on par with that performance.
Make sure the bottom "vent" is within 3 inches of the floor to "connect" the transmission line bass to the room.
All the difference in the world !
If you decide you want to get rid of these........you know where to find me :yes:
Nice Score !
:thmbsp:
 
I am considering selling them and making some 2-ways myself..while the sound of these are extremely nice, they are too large.
 
Well..after listening a bit.....I am in love. I am also in love with my amp..this Pioneer dual mono A-51 is so sweet and it is the ONLY amp I have ever used that has a transparent bass tone control..in direct bypass, the amp is more reference..like a power amp or studio amp..when you you use the tone a bit...it really comes alive....just a bit of extra bass and these speakers have become shockers. I will post here if I ever decide to let them go. But it probably will not be until i am too old and weak to move them.
 
Gee Emm said:
Have been listening to these for about a week now...continually impressed. I wanted to know if anyone out there had specs, also if anyone else out there has listened to these monsters. They weigh close to 200 lbs each. 10" 6" and dome. The screens are deteriorating...so I m trying to listen to them without, but I am concerned about the hi-frequency dispersion the screens provide..anyway....if anyone has a first hand opinion, I would like to hear it. They are being powered by a Pioneer Elite A-51 dual mono 100 watt amp that seems well suited.

I don't know too much about the bass part of these, but the mid-woofer and tweet part are taken directly from the C/3 or C/3-L. In fact, the outline on the front is also the outline of the C/3 seen from the front.

There's a pic of a C/3-L at: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/IM_Fried/?yguid=297306492

From what I can see, yours is pretty early production. It looks like the mid-woofers have silver frames. Fried went to frames painted black on these within a year or so.

The mid-woofers were made by Carbonneau (sp?) and have polypropylene cones. They were called "Duo-cone" drivers because the dust cap is also polypropylene and was intended to augment performance at high frequencies.

The tweeter is from Hiquphon in Denmark and is an exceptional tweeter. Bud often said they were the best in the world and I don't dispute that.

I think that the G/3 had the mid-woofer loaded by a transmission line, but I won't swear to it. It was either a line or another style of aperiodic enclosure.

The crossovers are 1st-order series.

There were a number of upgrades to these and similar Fried speakers. Bud went from the poly cones to a kevlar coned driver with a more normal dust cap. There were also some improvements to the tweets over the years. The final upgrade was to a mid-woofer from Gefco that used a coated pulp cone with carbon fiber.

I may know someone who has a pair of G/3s, so I'll see if I can find out more for you.

I also know someone who has the Gefco mid-woofers for these, as well as the updated crossovers. I think he ran out of the new tweeters though.

It's possible to have Oskar from Hiquphon make up a pair of new tweets if you want, although I heard that a pair of Hiquphon tweets are now selling for upwards of US$250.

There is also a possibility of future upgrades from Fried Products. http://www.friedproducts.com/classic.html

I have a pair of early C/3-Ls that I upgraded over the years. I put a pair of the Gefco drivers into them a couple of years ago and it was a stunning improvement. You wouldn't believe that such small speakers could put out such a big sound.

As for the foam grilles, they probably helped to reduce diffraction from the cabinet edges, plus they keep dust off the drivers. (The tweets have sticky domes from the coating used to dampen them.)

Anyway, you've got a pair of real classics there, and they should sound pretty nice indeed. :-)
 
Back
Top Bottom