• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ALTEC 345A

d052057

Active Member
I have a pair of 4ohm speakers made by MB Quart and Altec 345A amp. Unfortunately, there are 2 configurations 8ohm and 16ohm that I can connect to my speakers. I used 8ohm for now but I loose a lot base sound now but it is sounding good.

Any suggestion regarding connect 4ohm to the Altec 345a?
Thank you.
 
Register to hide this ad
Got any pics? I know a lot of those Altec amps need jumpers for correct speaker loads. You will need the manual which I don't have.....sorry!

If there is no way to 4Ω then you are probably just outta luck!
 
It's a good enough amp that it's well worth getting a set of speakers that are better suited to it, and there are plenty of options. If you are strongly set on your current speakers then I'd suggest another system/setup, and who knows, you might really like it.
 
If you use the 8 ohm tap for the negative speaker lead, and the 16 ohm tap for the positive speaker lead (no connection to common), you will, in effect, wind up with a 2 ohm tap.

That should sound different from running it in 8 ohms- possibly better, in this case, depending on the true impedance of the speaker in the bass.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Internally, there's a 32 Ohm tap as well, used when bridged for mono. So there's a 4-Ohm connection between the 16 and 32 Ohm taps. But coupling will not be as good when a small part of the secondary is used, and high frequencies may suffer.

The damping factor can be improved on the 8-ohm tap by jumping (shorting out) the 0.24 Ohm current feedback resistors. But your best bet may be to find a speaker that's a better match for this amp.
 
Got any pics? I know a lot of those Altec amps need jumpers for correct speaker loads. You will need the manual which I don't have.....sorry!

If there is no way to 4Ω then you are probably just outta luck!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20200918_131111.jpg
    IMG_20200918_131111.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 19
My sad face represents that you can't do anything! :rolleyes:

Either you need different speaker, different amplifier, or just listen to it as is.:rockon:
 
If you use the 8 ohm tap for the negative speaker lead, and the 16 ohm tap for the positive speaker lead (no connection to common), you will, in effect, wind up with a 2 ohm tap.

That should sound different from running it in 8 ohms- possibly better, in this case, depending on the true impedance of the speaker in the bass.

Regards,
Gordon.
i am thinking about adding another pair of 4ohm speakers (connect them in series). The result is that I have 8ohm. If I am not mistaken, I have to connect + to - and - to + between the 2 speakers. Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom