Altec Seville

hotgas

I went to a yard sale today for an advertized Marshall guitar amp model JCM800-2204. The guy wanted $800 and he also threw in a Traynor speaker cabinet. Whoa! This guy must think I am nut :) Anyway, I looked around playing with time , pondering how I could leave the guy without giving him a hard feeling, and suddently noticed a rather beat up pair of speakers. Looked more closely! Altec ... Did I see Altec? Yeah! I looked in the back and the sticker said "Seville". Both speakers have the serial numbers apart by ONE. Hooray .... I played calm ... casually asked him, "how much you want for the speakers?" He immediately said, " 20 bucks!" What? YOU WANT 20 BUCKS FOR THESE $&%@ED UP SPEAKERS, YOU MUST BE OUT OF YOUR MIND!!! I told him that :D The guy acted like he was guilty or something asked me how much I was willing to pay him. I told him I would take them for $10 max as they looked so bad ... He said .. ok :rolleyes:
I brought them home. Hooked them up with a little solid state receiver (Kenwood 5600) , set the volume dial at 10 o'clock and tuned to my favorite FM channel. BOOMMMM the first drum kicked in ... Wowwww... In my garage there is no carpet but the sound is just so full, warm , and really loud. I could hear it a few hundred yards away and it drove away a horde of East Indian folks who were invading the public park in front of my house. I love it ... :gigglemad
I plan to resurface them as they sound so good. They are keepers for sure. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of a pair of Pioneer 99's or JBL Lancer 99's in my listening den. :p:

Last edited:
Hey Don,
Thanks for the info. The reason I am excited about them because they are light enough for me. Other Altec's are too big, too heavy so I am not interested. They are perfect for my garage if I don't need to re-suface them.

Back
Top Bottom