December Weather?

Here's a real horror story in the making. Looks like Ma Nature got up in a REALLY bad mood today ...

fox17_1.png

Last edited:
Thursday Christmas Eve right until Sunday, record highs have been broken near every day here in Northeast PA. Around 70 deg was seen on Christmas Day alone which is unheard of in these parts.

Unfortunately most of the time these high temperatures were accompanied by rain throughout this period. (At least you don't have to shovel rain)

This will easily be the warmest December on record in this neck of the woods. November was tied for the warmest on record as a well. This is the polar opposite from the winter of 2014-2015 which was - without any doubt - the Winter from Hell.

We broke a 120 year old record for 48 hour rainfall, and also broke the all-time record for wettest December here - and almost all of it fell in three days. If it had been snow, it would have been around 9' deep.

Whatever you get - we usually get it about 3 weeks later. :(

I am not quite sure whether this principle is still as valid as it was years and decades ago. The weather systems all over the world seem to get more and more out of control.

Last edited:
Waldport, Oregon:

17 inches of rain the first 18 days of December. As of today, Tues Dec 29, we have gotten 21 inches of rain this MONTH.

The German news report that it is currently warmer at the North Pole / Greenland than in California. Forecast is 40° (Fahrenheit) instead of the generally normal -40° (Celsius).

Brookfield (Wisconin), home of Steve (Ilikevinyl), will get some REAL Winter weather for more than two weeks now.

Probably been the warmest December I can ever remember. Haven't seen any snow all month long.

Almost 10:30 AM just a bit outside Wash, DC - and its 50 degrees F outside!
At least its stopped raining for a while ...

Looks like the snow and ice is headed my way, so I'll go ahead and mount my $2K worth of studded snow tires and rims (I have a 4wd Silverado 3500HD dually), so 6 wheels in total. I live in the middle of nowhere, so when it gets ugly, it tends to stay that way. Many of the roads branching off of mine have signs that state "No Winter Maintenance". So 6 studded snow tires and 500lb of rock salt in the bed will let me get around.

First couple days of actual snow cover here in Michigan. And it's almost January. Snowmobile has yet to leave the shed.

We dodged a bullet here ...That nasty looking storm kinda wimped out. Just as much moisture, but warm enough it stayed as plain old rain until it changed over to snow, so no ice covered trees coming down. Flip side ... what snow we got is HEAVY ... what they call "widow maker" for shoveling.

PS ... freezing rain CAN be quite nice to look at ... here's a couple pics I snapped a few years back.

icestorm_mar2011_010.jpg

icestorm_mar2011_016.jpg

For giving you an idea, here are some examples of what we're talking about... Don't know if we have to be amazed or frightened ... Both, maybe ...

Today in Saint-Guénolé, Brittany.

meteo.saint-guenole-sous-la-neige-decume_0.jpg
Credit : Béatrice Le Grand​

You maybe think that this is snow? In this case, you're wrong. This is seafoam :)

Back
Top Bottom