Did I do OK, and what do I do now: Sherwood PM 1270

Patrologia

I picked up a Sherwood PM 1270 today ($5) that looks to be in good shape, except that it has been a bit stripped. To use it, I'll need to get a headshell, cart, and mat. I'm not sure about the condition of the belt, but it looks like it should be fine.

Any recommendations on what to use on this table? I don't want to get too spendy (nice looking, but not exactly high end from what I gather, right?) but what would be decent if anyone has experience with this unit.

For a mat, do I just cut a piece of thick felt? Never done it before, but I'm not sure what the difference would be between that and something purpose made for it.

Thanks,
Mike

I did google it, and found a service manual, but no owner's manual. I wouldn't mind the owners manual, because being inexperienced I'm not even sure I'm releasing the tonearm from the clamp the right way! Other TT's I've dealt with have all been more automatic, and have released with some button, but no buttons seem to affect it. Slight finger pressure works, but I still wonder. (I also don't know what to do with the pitch control and the strobe, but that's for another day.)

Anyway, here are a few pics I snapped with my ipod. Excuse the quality - no other camera handy.

That walnut is just a very nice vinyl, I think. I'm pretty sure it isn't actually wood veneer. :no: I don't know if you can tell in the picture. It is a half inch mount (at least I think it is) so I guess any 1/2" would fit.

Bumping this a bit because I'm back in town after a weekend conference.

Any thoughts on whether the ADC cart I have would be good, or if a Audio Technica SE 1500X I found on CL would be better? I can't find much info about it, I assume it is a bit older.

BTW, you can click those thumbnails for much larger versions.

I bought a donor table yesterday - an Onkyo CP-101a, Mainly because it had a headshell that looked close to right, and cost less than buying a new headshell. Best part was that with the headshell installed, the hum that had been present in the left channel went away. The mat from the Onkyo is a bit too big, so I'll still make or look for something for that, but that is no biggie.

Does anyone know if the Onkyo cart (I assume stock) that is in the headshell is total crap or is it worth starting with? It lists the "replacement stylus" as a DN 74ST. Any suggested better options?

The cart is probably ok, but it will need a new stylus more than likely. Maybe post a picture of the cart, so someone can ID it.

Are you sure the Sherwood is better than the Onkyo? Is the Onkyo dead?? I have a small stock of mats left over from my TT buying/selling days, and you can have one for the cost of shipping.

Kermit:
Cart pics as requested. I assume it is just the stock cart, which the manual (from vinylengine) lists as an OC-74M. I haven't removed it from the headshell to confirm, and there is no writing on the cart that I can see, but perhaps someone will recognize.
IMG_4206.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

Splatter Pak: Thanks for the offer, that would be great. Do I just measure the diameter, or what info should I send you?

I guess I don't know which is better. In my totally inexperienced assessment, the Sherwood is heavier (can be faked, I know) the Sherwood's platter seems more substantial, and the Sherwood unit offers pitch control. The Onkyo appears to work, but the belt is missing (belt on Sherwood might have to be replaced, so that might not be a real difference), and the motor makes quite a bit more noise than the Sherwood. (I haven't put the Sherwood belt back on yet, so neither motor is running under load. Can anyone tell me that it is actually the better option? I guess for the cost of a belt I can have both operational and give them a head to head comparison. Since they'll actually be sharing headshell/cart/stylus, the comparison would even be more fair. One point that is (I assume) in the Onkyo's favor is that it is Made in Japan, the Sherwood is Korea.

Here are a couple of Onkyo pics. (Clickable thumbnails)

Mount tha ADC and make yourself a cork mat. They have 12 inch circular cork mats at home depot in the garden department.

Back
Top Bottom