Radio tuner dial clicking noise? [Kenwood KR-6050 Receiver]

TheCanMan25

Recently when changing stations with the big dial on my Kenwood KR-6050 receiver, I noticed that the needle stopped at 98 and wouldn't go any lower. Along with that, a clicking noise would happen if you attempted to keep turning it below 98 and the needle would stay still. Upon opening up the top of the receiver I noticed that the sound was coming from the area circled in the picture. Is anyone familiar with what this area is and what might be wrong? Could be something to do with a gear slipping but I can't say for sure. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. [otherwise receiver is in working condition]

Capture.PNG

Sounds like a mechanical issue, binding, gearing, etc. That part circled is what does the a tuning. I should move from fully open to fully closed freely. I would put masking tape on the string to hold it. Remove the wheel from the front end then move it from the end to end. Before that check the string routing and guide pulleys are properly routed.

Sounds like a mechanical issue, binding, gearing, etc. That part circled is what does the a tuning. I should move from fully open to fully closed freely. I would put masking tape on the string to hold it. Remove the wheel from the front end then move it from the end to end. Before that check the string routing and guide pulleys are properly routed.

So after playing with the big wheel connected to what does the tuning, I realized that it was coming a bit loose so I adjusted it back into the socket and noticed it begin to open and close as I scrolled through the stations. Despite this working, it now does not move below the 100's. Since I could now hear radio stations I was able to figure out that when the needle was on 107 it was really hearing a 93.3 station. This tells me that while the string system works, the needle is not calibrated with the open and closed states of the tuning mechanism. I may try the masking tape method to keep the strings in order and align the lowest default position of the needle to the closed state on the mechanism and then reattach the wheel. I'm not sure if there is a known method to recalibrating the needle with this tuning mechanism but luckily progress has been made.

There is usually a mark on the scale, one end or the other, sometimes both that shows where the needle should be at the end of the dial, either opened or closed. the rest is an electronic adjustment of the front-end to get it calibrated. If no mark you the end of the scale as your starting point.

Back
Top Bottom