SAE MK 25/2500 value?

theprofessor

I have a friend with two SAE Mark 25/2500 power amps that he's looking to part with. Supposedly one is working, the other is not; he got these as part of a trade many years ago.

The specs are:
300 watts at 8 ohms
450 watts at 4 ohms

The cool thing I just discovered is that they have sequential serial numbers (25-00316 and 25-00317). A bunch of the bulbs are burned out on both units (#47 bayonet style) and the bottom amp has a broken binding post. They do need a bit of cleaning, but the good news is that both units power on.

He also gave me a new old stock PS Audio 4.6 Preamplifier, still in the original packaging. It's quite a handsome piece of equipment, I am hoping to use that when I get my 2105 back from jblmar.

Any idea on what these guys could be worth, or opinions regarding the sound? I know the SAE amps will need some work, but they're monsters! SAE really did make some great gear, the build quality is impressive on these units.

Attachments

• IMG_5176.jpg
    IMG_5176.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5180.jpg
    IMG_5180.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I have a friend with two SAE Mark 25/2500 power amps that he's looking to part with. Supposedly one is working, the other is not; he got these as part of a trade many years ago.

The specs are:
300 watts at 8 ohms
450 watts at 4 ohms

The cool thing I just discovered is that they have sequential serial numbers (25-00316 and 25-00317). A bunch of the bulbs are burned out on both units (#47 bayonet style) and the bottom amp has a broken binding post. They do need a bit of cleaning, but the good news is that both units power on.

He also gave me a new old stock PS Audio 4.6 Preamplifier, still in the original packaging. It's quite a handsome piece of equipment, I am hoping to use that when I get my 2105 back from jblmar.

Any idea on what these guys could be worth, or opinions regarding the sound? I know the SAE amps will need some work, but they're monsters! SAE really did make some great gear, the build quality is impressive on these units.

Nice friend you have there! :thmbsp:

Did you get the external Power Supply for the Preamplifier? Not sure of the value of the SAE's but if you check this site out:

http://www.jims-sae-site.com/manual_schematics.htm

You can get the schematic for the 2500 for 10.00 (will be sent as PDF but legible). I have gotten a few from him of occasion and quickly too.

Yank

Thanks, Jim's site was the first place I went when I heard him say "SAE." Jim has created a great resource for those interested in the brand.

Yes, I did get the external power supply with the 4.6.

I tested these amps for a little bit last night. In both amps, right and left channels are strong. There's a little scratchiness in switching the channel gain, so I ordered some DeoxIT from Parts Express.

Quick question, Is it normal for an amplifier of this power to let the music play for a few seconds after the amplifier is turned off? I've only read one other account of someone with a different SAE amp that did the same thing. I'm wondering if it is part of the design, or something I should be concerned with. Anyone?

This seems like the place to get some help for my SAe 2500 power amp. The output driver transistors are bad on one side. The transistors only have an SAE number on them and I can't cross index them to find replacement transistors. Does anyone know the value for the output drivers or motorola numbers for replacements? Thanks, Mickey

This is an old thread, but as the proud owner of an SAE 2600 I felt compelled to add. The 2500 got great reviews when new. I went to Pacific Stereo where I knew the manager, a cool guy, to buy one. I was in the process, when he made me aware of the new 2600. Same heavy duty chassis with and additional 100 watts pr ch. 400 watts into 8 ohms and 600 pr ch into 4, all day. I have used mine since 79 to push my AR 9s to amazing levels, with authority.
I guess we all know that SAE is back, at hear-sae.com

No, it's not. The new HP2 D is like $19,995. Massive high power low distortion amp, though.
I forgot to mention I paid $1100 for my 2600 back in 79. Had it gone through 3 yrs ago. My SAE and AR 9s have always been the foundation of my system. Mine was made in USA, and the specs are impressive still today.
The real question is, what can you get today that compares? I won't be buying their new stuff, at those prices.

Does anybody knows if mark 2500 is a common ground type amplifier?
Welcome to AK
Yes, it is.
(Is this a Polk question, or a bridge question? It is capable of both. Be careful with impedances if bridging. IIRC It would require an external bridging unit)

Back
Top Bottom