Sansui B-77?!?!!?

ScottG

uhhhhh....what goes here?
3pb3o13l211c1291458cqcb05fd87aa061a53.jpg

any good?! Can pick it up for $80...worth anything?!

Sansui was as good as anyone in the early 80's, these might be worth a listen, but I'd sure want a better deal than what the buyer is offering.

I just got one of these out of curiosity, I needed a power amp to use with a PC, so I wasn't feeling too fussy. I have had a few Sansui's in the past, (Au-101, Au-222, Au-555a, 331 ) and have always been impressed by there ability to punch above there weight power wise, and solid build quality. This amp is the opposite, it punches below its weight; as I remember it, my AU-101 sounded better & stronger (with a lot less quoted power).
Upon cracking it open to have a poke around inside, I was greeted with what must be described as rubbish build quality. This thing is lightweight. The bottom panel is what looks like masonite or board with a metallic (foil?) covering on the inside & there is a lot of plastic (both side panels). You undo some screws and the thing sort of falls to bits (sort of a metaphor for Sansui in the 1980s...)
I am going to recap it and see what that does but I am not holding up much hope.
Cheers, Richard.

Unless used gear is impossibe to get a hold of up there, I would hold out and spend my money on better Sansui gear.

In general, the Sansui gear with a single "A", "B" or "R" in the model number is just a poor sad reflection of the better gear Sansui made. You want the "AU", "BA", "CA" and "G" models. Also those with just numbers.

Look for the green Lable.

In my many years of Sansui experience, any gear with the green rectangle and Sansui printed in it in the upper left corner, is from there very last years, or possibly just after they sold, and the equipment is nowhere near original Sansui hi end quality. Unless you are getting it for a few dollars, "Avoid it like the plague.":nono:
Best wishes always, SansuiKing ;-)

Keep in mind, these "inferior" models didnt have the same $ pricetag as the 'higher-end' models. Actually, some of them arent too shabby. An AU-D7or D5, or A-80/60 etc for under $100 isnt too bad of a buy. Ditto many of the 'A' model integrated amps. Same can be said of TA-500/300. Sansui's design was intended to offer decent performance at a budget price. 50 bucks or so isnt a huge amount of $$, so there are some good buys to be had if you look around.

The AU-D5 is a nice smaller integrated ... Pretty clever circuit topology. I think you'd like and at least in the SF area the price is reasonable. It is NOT one of the cheap later models.

AU-D7 and D5 were like the baby brothers of the AU-D11/D9.

But, the D7 & D5 can be equipped with rack handles which make them look a bit more elegant (as it does on the higher end, previous generation AU-919/717, BA-F1...) I guess the D11 & D9 with faux wood cabinet didnt lend itself to the rack handles... I also miss the click-stop volume control as well.

Although the going price on the auction site seems to be about $100, an AU-D5 would have to be PERFECT for me to give up $80 for it.

I bought a nice AU-D7 last year, and overhauled it completely. Coming from an AU-317II and AU-717 overhaul perspective, I didn't think the AU-D7 sounded as near as "full and rich" as either the 317II or or the 717 and it sure wasn't built as well as the older AU units. That might be comparing apples and oranges, but that's what I have experience with - I even liked the sound of the Sansui 771 receiver better than the AU-D7, which is the only other Sansui I've overhauled - that unit had such a warm mellow tone that I hated to see it go.

Although the going price on the auction site seems to be about $100, an AU-D5 would have to be PERFECT for me to give up $80 for it.

I bought a nice AU-D7 last year, and overhauled it completely. Coming from an AU-317II and AU-717 overhaul perspective, I didn't think the AU-D7 sounded as near as "full and rich" as either the 317II or or the 717 and it sure wasn't built as well as the older AU units. That might be comparing apples and oranges, but that's what I have experience with - I even liked the sound of the Sansui 771 receiver better than the AU-D7, which is the only other Sansui I've overhauled - that unit had such a warm mellow tone that I hated to see it go.

Hard to go wrong with a 771 Though. I love mine.

Back
Top Bottom