Setting DC Offset, Sony STR-7055

IMHO I think the manual is a misprint. 50 volts is very high for a 35 RMS per channel amp. As a reference, Marantz 2245 rails are rated at 37 volts, and that is for a very conservative 45 watt per channel. The STR-7065 manual also shows 50 volt rails, so draw your own conclusions.

Also, the rails are unregulated, so the voltage will vary with the line voltage. Unlike regulated supplies, it will never be an exact number. Enjoy it.

Thank you Steve,

That's interesting.... I haven't looked at the STR-7065 manual, but I don't see how rail voltage could be the same for both it and the STR-7055.
50V (or -50V, 49V, -49V, etc.) are everywhere on the diagrams for the 7055. Strange that they'd get it so wrong....

Maybe that solves the mystery.... If so, I guess I could just listen and enjoy.

FWIW the 7065 manual I looked at only had voltages listed in the circuit board diagrams. No voltages on schematic :(

FWIW the 7065 manual I looked at only had voltages listed in the circuit board diagrams. No voltages on schematic :(
That's odd. I have the original paper SM (and updates) and the voltages are marked in red on both the schematics and the board diagrams.

I wondering whether Sony somehow just "adapted" the drawings from the 7065 for the 7055 SM, and forgot to remove voltage markings, but if they're not marked on the 7065 schematics, that theory's out.

Checked AC voltage at the transformer outputs (before the rectifier.) ~56V between the two leads, ~28V each lead to ground... I'm not sure what this would indicate, since I don't understand exactly how the rectifier affects voltage as it sorts the AC into DC.

What you are looking at seems about right. Play the unit..with 4 ohm speakers..lol.

Green.. please clarify your intent to 'parallel' speakers.

My fault. I was kidding around with green. We were kidding back and forth about running 4 ohm speakers on his Sony.

Please forgive any confusion, Binkman. Indeed, I was just lobbing vsat88's "4 ohm" quip back at him, with a bit more spin. I had hoped the "grinning" smiley would clarify that I wasn't serious, but clearly I was wrong.

I am aware that neither trying to power 4 ohm speakers, nor paralleling speakers are a good idea with this receiver. In fact, as can be seen in the schematic, the "A+B" and "A+C" positions on the speaker selection switch put the two pairs of speakers in series. Both pairs need to be connected for either to play when the switch is one of those positions.

I don't see the problem powering 4 ohm speakers with the STR-7055 ? Certainly not in parallel, but on their own, or in series, what's the issue ?

I don't see the problem powering 4 ohm speakers with the STR-7055 ? Certainly not in parallel, but on their own, or in series, what's the issue ?
Thank you for this, Goldie99.... I actually do not know. (I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve here!) I've been under the impression that a large, powerful amp was necessary to power 4 ohm speakers adequately and that they might overtax a mid-sized receiver like the STR-7055.

Is there a way to easily determine what an amplifier can safely / adequately power?
(I had the owners manual for this receiver when it was new, but that was almost 45 years ago....)

Green; You're learning fast!

A basic note for speakers; When you read speaker wattage "max" on a speaker specs, that is a spec that includes a potential wattage spike produced by an amp. You need more wattage to drive a say an avg. 88db rated speaker @1watt per meter than a 90db or higher i.e. 93db or typical studio grade. JBL is a good consumer rated db speakers as an example.

In short it doesn't take much wattage to drive reasonably matched higher db speakers to drive you out of the room or issue complaints from close neighbors. Be surprised what a 10watt tube amp can do. :D ( we have some down under mates running less than that.)
bink

DC Offset Adjusted!!

This thread has drifted a bit, but In case someone finds it in a search for how to adjust DC offset in a Sony STR-7055, I have now successfully adjusted the DC offset in this receiver. Here are the details:

Fortunately I was correct in my identification of the differential pairs: Q702 / Q 703 for the left channel and Q752 / Q753 on the right channel. They are all 2SA705 silicon PNP transistors.
(I'm a complete novice at this, but I studied the schematic and read all I could find on the subject.)

I ordered 20 2SA705s, and sorted them by hFE, looking for pairs that measured as closely as possible, then replaced Q702 / Q703 and Q752 / Q753 with matched pairs.

Initial turn on, on DBT looked normal, so I plugged the receiver in, turned it on and warmed it up, checked and set the gain, then checked DC offset.

Before replacing transistors, the right channel read 105 mV. It now reads -15 mV.
Before replacing transistors, the left channel read 95 mV. It now reads 4 mV.

The differential pair removed from the right channel had hFE readings of 166 and 199. They were replaced with a pair reading 331 and 332.
The pair removed from the left channel had hFE readings of 129 and 190. They were replaced with a pair reading 261 and 262.

The 2SA705s that came out of the receiver all had paint markings on them (dots.) I wonder whether those might be factory sorting marks.

Thank you again to everyone for your help in this thread. There are still a couple more things to resolve with this receiver, but for now it appears that DC offset is no longer an issue.

Back
Top Bottom