Troubleshooting CD Players

dr*audio

Fish fingers and custard!
Moderator, please make this a sticky. I am tired of repeating this info in multiple posts so I want to make a memory dump in one place.
1. CD won't play:
Observe the mechanism with no disc loaded and the cover off (don't look directly at the lens!) When the player starts, the first thing the micro does is make sure the drawer is loaded and the mechanism has risen up to the play position. Then it will reverse the sled motor until the home position switch closes, then it moves the pickup forward a bit until the switch opens. (If the pickup doesn't move at all, the CD mechanism may not be in the fully loaded position, or there may be a problem with the sled drive or motor. Check the loading belts.) There is a switch that tells the micro that the pickup is in the home position so it can stop the motor and keep the pickup from jamming. If the switch gets dirty the micro keeps the motor on in reverse and the pickup won't move. With no CD in the player, turn the player on and watch the laser pickup (don't look directly at the lens!) If the pickup moves toward the disc motor then moves back, the switch is ok. If the pickup moves toward the disc motor and doesn't move back, the switch is dirty and doesn't close. On Sony based players, the home switch is a leaf switch located on the board that the disc motor is on. There is a plastic cover on the end of the leaf switch. Note what position it is installed in, and gently pull the cover off. Then clean the contacts by drawing 600 grit sandpaper through them just a couple of times. Then flush the debris out with contact cleaner or alcohol and gently replace the plastic cover. Depending on the construction of the mechanism, you may have to remove the disc motor board in order to get to the switch.
After the player correctly senses the home postion, the focus search starts and the laser pickup lens moves up and down. If the lens doesn't move after the pickup finds home, either the pickup is bad or the cable for the pickup is broken, or the drive IC is bad, or there is a power supply problem. Some players have IC protectors that look like transistors with only 2 leads. They go open.
If focus search starts, load a CD. If the disc spins, focus search was successful and the player achieved focus lock. The pickup may be good. If the table of contents is displayed but the player doesn't play, the pickup is either bad or the internal adjustments must be performed. A scope is necessary for this. If you have a scope and can see the RF waveform, it should be 1.2V - 1.5V peak to peak, on a player with a Sony chipset and many others as well. Use a commercially recorded CD, preferably an older issue, because newer issues can have lower reflectivity. If the RF waveform is lower than 1V peak to peak, the pickup is probably bad. Do the adjustments and if the waveform doesn't improve, the pickup is bad. Panasonic / Technics players have lower amplitude on the RF waveform, I think it's 1V peak to peak. Not sure about Philips players, I think they are 1.2 - 1.5V.
If the CD doesn't spin, the pickup could be bad or the disk motor, or disc motor drive could be bad. If the player does focus search and the disc doesn't spin and you hear a sizzling sound, the disk motor is bad. Try giving it a turn with your finger, it may start turning. If you replace the disc motor, the disk table height is critical. Measure the height before you replace the motor. You can use a ruler or calipers or feeler gauges. A good trick is to find something, a piece of wood cut to the same dimension, a nut, several feeler gauges; that fits under the disk table and you can use that as a gig to remount the disk table on the new motor, shoving the table down until it hits your gauge. The disk table must be glued to the motor shaft with a drop of superglue.

2. Skipping CDs:
There are several causes of skipping CDs. The most common is the top bearing of the disk motor is dried up and a couple of drops of light weight machine oil will cure it.
The second most common cause of skipping is the suspension of the CD mechanism is sagging and the CD chuck that holds the CD in place is rubbing on the arm that supports the chuck. This is cured by stretching the springs on the mechanism by the length of one turn. You must be sure to return each spring to the same position on the mechanism, because they are different tensions to account for the weight of the motors. If the player uses rubber bumpers instead of springs you can either replace them, replace them with springs if you can find some, or install washers under the bumpers to bolster them up.
On Sony 5 disc players that are sensitive to vibrations, open the top and insert a CD. Observe the chucking arm and magnetic chuck. On some Sony players the plastic chassis warps over time and the magnet is no longer centered in the chucking arm and rubs against the inside edge of the hole it rides in. If it appears not to be centered, push on the arm, from the front, sides and back to determine which edge the chuck is scraping on. You will be able to hear it scrape. If it does, remove the chucking arm. There is a screw in the back of the arm that adjusts the height of the arm and secures it, along with a spring. Remove the chuck from the arm by twisting the 2 halves until the plastic tabs line up with the openings. Now that the chuck is free, file or cut the hole in the arm on the side that it rubs, to enlarge the hole by about 1/8". Don't overdo it or the chuck will fall through.
Remove all burrs and plastic shavings and re-assemble the chuck and install the arm in the player. Adjust the height of the arm so that the chuck floats in the arm with equal parts above and below the arm. The improper height of the arm is another cause of skipping.
If the chuck is not off center, is it riding too low in the arm and scraping on the arm? If so, adjust the height of the arm if it is adjustable on this model.
Sometimes the machined posts that the laser slides on need to be cleaned and re-lubricated, especially if the owner had pets. Clean them thoroughly with alcohol and then apply 2 drops of light weight machine oil to each post on either side of the laser.
Clean the lens. Use a Q tip moistened with ethanol (NOT Isopropyl alcohol, it can cloud plastic!), distilled water or Kodak Lens Cleaner.

3. Drawer won't open / stay closed:
Replace the loading belts.

This covers most of the problems found in CD players.

I will add tips to this thread as I think of them. Today's tip:
The new Chinese el-cheapo replacement laser pickups have quality control issues. Surprise! I had some playability issues with 2 out of 3 pickups on my Onkyo DX-702. It just wouldn't play some CDR's. I tried a third pickup and now it plays everything. I don't know if these are all made by the same company, they are replacements for the Sony KSS210A, and I bought the one that works from B&D Enterprises. I am sure that the other 2 came from Electronix. The take away here is don't be afraid to try another pickup or 2 if you are having playability issues, even after adjustment. And you might want to think of buying 2 or 3 pickups at a time. I intend to try the ones that didn't work in the DX-702 in another player when I have one that needs a pickup. It may be that the older chipsets have better error correction or better, possibly faster focus and tracking servos, and these pickups may work fine in another player.

I can add to number 2. I had a skipping Yamaha CD player. The problem was the stepper motor nylon gear had a small crack. Yamaha sent me a replacement gear for a few cents and shipping, I installed it and done, never skipped again. I ended up giving the cd player to a friend who still uses it today. It's now about 20 years old.

The CDM9 transport is sensitive to shocks during shipping. The disc platter can slip down off the detent in the motor shaft. If you are continually getting errors, remove the cover and attempt to turn the disc platter with your finger. If it won't turn, push the drawer open and gently pry the disc platter up with two thin bladed knives or screwdrivers (BE GENTLE). The disc platter should click into its detent and spin freely.

I can add to number 2. I had a skipping Yamaha CD player. The problem was the stepper motor nylon gear had a small crack. Yamaha sent me a replacement gear for a few cents and shipping, I installed it and done, never skipped again. I ended up giving the cd player to a friend who still uses it today. It's now about 20 years old.

This is a common problem. The gear is a press fit onto the motor shaft and it splits. The Onkyo DX-330 has this problem with a gear that is on a shaft that couples the motor to a worm gear. Unfortunately the part is no longer available.

here's a weird one... Yamaha 5 disc carosel would only sense 2 of the 5 discs. So I took it off the shelf and stashed it. It's been sitting for a few months, and when I tried it yesterday... tada! It works perfectly! What's up with that?

here's a weird one... Yamaha 5 disc carosel would only sense 2 of the 5 discs. So I took it off the shelf and stashed it. It's been sitting for a few months, and when I tried it yesterday... tada! It works perfectly! What's up with that?

Some players have a photo diode / transistor sensor for detecting discs, some actually bring the laser up and do a focus search. If it does it again, see if it is always the same locations (Disc1, Disc2, etc) that it won't detect, or if it's the same CD's it won't detect. It could be low reflectivity of some CD's. It could be dust on the sensor. Also there is a flat flexible cable that connects the electronics in the drawer to the microprocessor on the main board. This friggin' cables go bad all the time.

Some players have a photo diode / transistor sensor for detecting discs, some actually bring the laser up and do a focus search. If it does it again, see if it is always the same locations (Disc1, Disc2, etc) that it won't detect, or if it's the same CD's it won't detect. It could be low reflectivity of some CD's. It could be dust on the sensor. Also there is a flat flexible cable that connects the electronics in the drawer to the microprocessor on the main board. This friggin' cables go bad all the time.

Thanks! I'll print that note, and tape it to the inside of the player - so I can find the info when I need it! Otherwise I'll waste hours trying to find this post again...

Player repeats or jumps forward or back

Today's troubleshooting tip: Player skips, repeats or jumps forward or back:
The motor that drives the laser pickup across the CD is called the sled motor. In most players this is a cheap DC motor with brushes. These motors can get a bad spot on the commutator or worn brushes or just dirt built up on the commutator. When this happens the player will exhibit the above symptoms. To test it, solder a couple of wires to the sled motor so you can measure the voltage across it. Then play a CD. A good motor should move by the time the voltage across it gets to 0.5V. The way the system works, as the CD plays, the laser must follow the row of pits in the CD, in a spiral from the inside to the outside of the CD. Initially the tracking coils in the pickup move the lens sideways to follow the pits until the angle is too great for it to correct. As the tracking angle increases, the tracking error voltage increases. This signal goes to the sled servo. As the tracking error increases, the voltage on the sled motor increases until the sled motor moves. Then the tracking error voltage and sled motor voltage drop, usually to zero but there can be some negative overshoot, especially if the sled motor doesn't move by 0.5V anymore, and jumps forward at a higher voltage and over-corrects.
So, monitoring the sled motor voltage with the CD playing, you will see it slowly climb until the sled motor moves, then quickly drop back down to 0V or below, then slowly climb again. You must watch it through quite a few of these cycles to catch a bad motor. If it goes above 0.5V, suspect the motor. If it goes to 1V, the motor is definitely bad. This assumes that you have already cleaned and lubricated the posts that the laser slides on, and checked for cracked gears.

CD player skips

Another one. On players that have a linear motor to drive the sled, rather than gears, the posts that the laser slides on must be immaculately clean and properly lubricated or the laser pickup will bind, causing skipping. With the player off, if you tilt the cabinet from front to back, the pickup should slide freely through it's entire range of travel. If not, clean the posts thoroughly with q tips and isopropyl alcohol, while sliding the pickup back and forth to distribute the alcohol. Allow it to dry, then apply 2 or 3 drops of light machine oil to the posts, on either side of the pickup and slide it back and forth to distribute the oil. I use Tri-Flow. I squirt it out into a wastebasket and then touch the snorkel to the post to apply a drop of oil. That way you don't spray a bunch of oil into the mechanism.
I find that in households with pets, (like mine) the dander flies around and gets into the player and the posts have to be cleaned once a year.
Players with gear driven sleds will benefit from cleaning and lubrication as well. Do not use grease on the posts, even if that's what was on there originally. Grease is too thick and attracts dust. A very light coating of oil is best.

I experienced this exact issue in 3 vintage Technics CD players that have a very similar mechanism. It wasn't skipping, it would not read the TOC most of the times. I could hear the sled motor whining when the CD was inserted for a few seconds and then silence.

The sled motor drives a rack using a belt and the rack drives the pickup with a "pinion" like arrangement. Everything in there was dirty from gummed up grease and the posts where the pickup slides were rough to the touch. Cleaning with alcohol dipped earbuds everything in there until the earbuds came up clean solved the problems.

The units were SL-P2 and SL-P7 but the same mechanism is used in the entire range from that era.

Hi,
1. CD won't play: (...) Then it will reverse the sled motor until the home position switch closes, then it moves the pickup forward a bit until the switch opens. (...) There is a switch that tells the micro that the pickup is in the home position so it can stop the motor and keep the pickup from jamming. If the switch gets dirty the micro keeps the motor on in reverse and the pickup won't move. With no CD in the player, turn the player on and watch the laser pickup (don't look directly at the lens!) If the pickup moves toward the disc motor then moves back, the switch is ok. If the pickup moves toward the disc motor and doesn't move back, the switch is dirty and doesn't close.

The pick-up (KSS-240A) was moved manually out of the home position. After power on the pick-up moves to the home position and stops. When the pick-up is in home position, after power on the pick-up doesn't move. There is a single twitch only. What do You think about? What's wrong?
Regards,
f.

You say that if you move the pickup out of the home position and start the player, the pickup moves to the home position and stops. In this case, the home switch is dirty and is not detecting that the pickup is in the home position.
You can clean the home switch by carefully pulling off the plastic cover, noting which way it goes on, and drawing a piece of 600 grit sandpaper through the contacts 3 times while holding the contacts closed. Then flush it out with contact cleaner to remove the debris. Now, carefully push the plastic cover back on the switch until you feel it snap in place.

Thank You very much for answer. I will try to clean the contacts chemically first (I have a set of good, tested cleaners).
Regards,
f.

cdplayer no action after loading the tray

Hi and thank you for sharing you experiences. i have a sansui CDP , its based on sony, it had some tracking faults an some scratch in sound, so i decided to change the laser current, i took off the pickup that is kss150A, and turn the potentiometer from .7 k to 1.1 k ,but when i inserted the pickup and started the machine , i saw that there is no action from the spindle nor laser light. i checked the pickup position switch and it was OK, but there is no reverse move for pickup. can you tell me what to do? thank you.

Back
Top Bottom