Which component should I plug my cans into?

Sonance'84

moe.ron
Subscriber
I have the option to plug into my amp(with gain controls), my preamp or my CDP. My CDP has a volume control on it for the headphones. Is one option better to use than the other as far a sonic quality, or is it just opinion as to which I think sounds best?

Cory

Try them, and see which one you think sounds best. It can vary, depending on the gear. Often the source component SHOULD sound best, but I've found several times I like the sound out of the Preamp best. The circuitry in different amps sometimes treats the headphone out differently. Sometimes it is the final stage output, simply attenuated through a resistor; in other cases (no pun intended), there is separate amplification circuitry. Each unit will sound different, and the only way to be sure which will sound best (especially to your ears, since you are the one listening, and we all hear things differently!) is to try it out each way! :music:

If you want to learn more about getting the most out of headphones, go to the Head-Fi website and start reading. That site is like the AK of headphones. But beware! Getting seriously into headphones can be as addictive as other (eg, vintage) audio gear, and it can be very harmful to your wallet, too! :D

Thanks for the info. I normally use my preamp since it has a dedicated headphone amp in it that will push 2 sets of cans, and sounds good. My CDP's headphone output has a high-speed current buffer, which sounds surprisingly good also. I just started using my headphones, so Ill just have to try all the options and decide what I like best.

I am currently borrowing a Firestone Little Country III headphone tube amp from a friend, which sounds great, but not too much better than my preamp. Definitely different sounding than my preamp though. I don't use my cans enough to buy a headphone amp, but I do like borrowing this one! :music:

cory

Back
Top Bottom