• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audiocubics R-cube remote volume control review

LotsaBS

New Member
If you own some vintage audio equipment and would like an excellent way to control the volume the Audiocubics R-cube is just the answer. I recently purchased the R-cube from Curt at audiocubics.com. The R-cube consists of a simple, hand crafted 3"x3"x3" brushed aluminum cube. On the top front is a 192 color LED to give you a visual indication of the volume level. Below are the volume up and volume down buttons, and IR receiver. On the rear are the quality gold/teflon RCA inputs and outputs as well as the power adaptor plug. The remote control is equally impressive-carved from a solid hardwood with aluminum volume up, volume down and mute buttons. Construction of both the R-cube itself and the remote control are exceptional with great attention to detail.

Connecting the R-cube to your system:
For receivers and integrated amplifiers the R-cube inputs can be connected to the pre-amp outputs and the R-cube outputs can be connected to the amplifier inputs, with the bypass switch open or the jumpers removed. If there are no pre-amp outputs and amplifier inputs, a tape monitor loop can be used with the R-cube inputs connected to the tape outputs and the R-cube outputs connected to the tape inputs. For component systems the R-cube inputs can be connected to the pre-amp outputs and the R-cube outputs can be connected to the amplifier inputs or an equalizer, etc. If you use a single source of appropriate output voltage and an amplifier for a minimalist system, the R-cube inputs can be connected to the source outputs and the R-cube outputs can be connected to the amplifier inputs.

I have used the R-cube with both my vintage Marantz 2270 and Yamaha CR-1020 and have been more than pleased with the results. It not only looks beautiful, but works exactly as advertised. It seems to provide acoustically neutral remote volume control without any added noise what so ever.

Curt hand manufactures these and the quality shows. Although they are not cheap at approx. $200, the R-cube is dramatically less expensive (and in my opinion, looks much better on the audio rack) than the Placette Audio remote volume control (currently about $1000), currently the only other option I am aware of that would provide similar results.

ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Bandwidth for measurements (unless noted otherwise) 10Hz to 20kHz
Attenuation Range (192 steps) -95.5dB to 0dB
Attenuation Step Size 0.5 dB
Attenuation Matching + or - 0.05 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise (VIN = 2Vrms, f = 1kHz) 0.0002 %
Input Resistance 10,000 Ohms
Input Voltage Range (without clipping) 2.5 Vrms
Input Capacitance 3 pF
Output Drive Capability 600 Ohm load
Load Capacitance Stability 100 pF
Output Noise (VIN = AGND, Gain = 0dB) 2.5 uVrms
Short Circuit Current 50 mA
Interchannel Crosstalk (f = 1kHz) -130 dBFS
Unity-Gain Bandwidth, Small Signal 10 mHz
Power supply 120 VAC, 5W, 60Hz wall transformer


PHYSICAL DIMENSIONS
R-cube 3" cube
R-cube remote 4" x 1.25" x .5"
R-cube power supply 2.5" x 2" x 1.5"


USER INTERFACE
R-cube front face
Volume indicator Single LED, 192 color spectrum from Blue to Red (lowest to highest).
(+) Button Tactile brushed aluminum pushbutton switch, increases volume and shifts display color toward red.
(-) Button Tactile brushed aluminum pushbutton switch, decreases volume and shifts display color toward blue.
Remote control detector Infrared.


R-cube rear face
Pwr Input jack for R-cube power supply.
L IN Left channel input, gold/teflon RCA jack.
R IN Right channel input, gold/teflon RCA jack.
L OUT Left channel output, gold/teflon RCA jack.
R OUT Right channel output, gold/teflon RCA jack.


R-cube remote
(Mute) Button Tactile brushed aluminum pushbutton switch, mutes volume and changes display color to flashing blue.
(+) Button Tactile brushed aluminum pushbutton switch, increases volume and shifts display color toward red.
(-) Button Tactile brushed aluminum pushbutton switch, decreases volume and shifts display color toward blue.
Battery CR2032 Lithium


Curt is wonderful to deal with and manufactures a high quality piece of equipment. So if you've been looking for a quality remote volume control for your vintage audio equipment I highly recommend the R-cube.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
So how does it work. Motorized stepped attenuator, relay operated stepped attenuator, solid state "potentiometer"?

mike
 
Completely solid-state. Note review above:

Connecting the R-cube to your system:
For receivers and integrated amplifiers the R-cube inputs can be connected to the pre-amp outputs and the R-cube outputs can be connected to the amplifier inputs, with the bypass switch open or the jumpers removed. If there are no pre-amp outputs and amplifier inputs, a tape monitor loop can be used with the R-cube inputs connected to the tape outputs and the R-cube outputs connected to the tape inputs. For component systems the R-cube inputs can be connected to the pre-amp outputs and the R-cube outputs can be connected to the amplifier inputs or an equalizer, etc. If you use a single source of appropriate output voltage and an amplifier for a minimalist system, the R-cube inputs can be connected to the source outputs and the R-cube outputs can be connected to the amplifier inputs.
 
I'm guessing the OP's member ID isn't a coincidence

Call me a raving paranoid (I'm not, but my BS meter does work overtime sometimes) but how many times has someone posted a lengthy review of a currently available for sale item like this as their first post to AK, and NOT turned out to be a shill for the manufacturer? I mean, come on - you joined AK just so you could post a review?

Not to mention this is the second time this particular device has turned up here lately, though the other one was posted by a member of longer standing.

It's a slick little piece and I would like to be wrong about the motives here, but my question to the OP stands: do you now or have you ever had an affiliation with the manufacturer of this device?

John
 
I second that .. the entire thing should be removed .. they have only the 2 current posts .. we could ask them to remove it ;-) but i am sure they dont even remembe the password .. 3 bills seems a bit sick for the set up anyhow
 
Call me a raving paranoid (I'm not, but my BS meter does work overtime sometimes) but how many times has someone posted a lengthy review of a currently available for sale item like this as their first post to AK, and NOT turned out to be a shill for the manufacturer? I mean, come on - you joined AK just so you could post a review?

Not to mention this is the second time this particular device has turned up here lately, though the other one was posted by a member of longer standing.

It's a slick little piece and I would like to be wrong about the motives here, but my question to the OP stands: do you now or have you ever had an affiliation with the manufacturer of this device?

John
My initial thought was the same...but look at his join date...2010.
Long wait just to shill a product.
Also, OP mentions $200 price....current listings show opening bid $300, BIN $330.
Not sure what to think...
 
Well, if it was a shill attempt at least it was short-lived... though we may have to wait until 2014 for a response from the OP, based on frequency of posts :-)

The product info is useful enough, intentions not withstanding.

John
 
Old thread. But there surely has to be a less expensive option for a remote volume control. For $200 - 300 you could build an ldr with remote capability and have a VERY good remote interface. I think they would make alot more money if they offered a lower cost solution. Maybe ditch the pricey aluminum and offer a plastic (but nicely finished) cased unit?
 
Sure there are. I found one a while ago, and it wasn't easy, I needed at least 4 channels (quad receiver).
Mine has 3 inputs (2 x stereo, 1 x 6 channel), 6 channel output, and you can switch inputs with remote. Doesn't look as pretty as the cube thingy, but has more functions. And doesn't degrade sound, at least in my system it didn't. I described it here
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=636579
(and no, I'm not selling, no affiliation to the manufacturer either). There are similar VC boxes others found mentioned in the thread .

Oh, and I paid some 30 dollars for it. Which is what a box like that should cost.
 
Nice!!!! I didn't fully read the thread, but that's what I'm talking about. Its definitely a better solution that doesn't cost more than the gear its controlling.
 
I just ordered one for my living room SX1250. My wife HATES not being able to control that beast remotely when watching our 65" samsung. Some of the bombings, gunfights, car chases, etc., etc can get quite physical. I will post the test results soon......

So you never posted results. :(
 
So you never posted results. :(
Wow! 4 years ago! Sorry...the results are fantastic. I actually have 2 of them, one for my living room and one for my shop. The remotes are still working flawlessly. I can't hear any degradation of sound quality at all. These are well built audio components. Not a gimmick.
 
Wow! 4 years ago! Sorry...the results are fantastic. The remotes are still working flawlessly. I can't hear any degradation of sound quality at all. These are well built audio components. Not a gimmick.

I am dying to get one but can't get the company to reply to any emails and they do not list a phone number. Any chance you have their number?
 
I am dying to get one but can't get the company to reply to any emails and they do not list a phone number. Any chance you have their number?
audiocubics.com is all I have. i just went through the motions to buy one from their website and at the moment of truth I got a message on PayPal that audiocubics was not available. maybe they went out of business. Bummer if they did. I haven't seen any other option as well made and practical as the Rcube.
 
Last edited:
I have 3 audiocubics R - cube remotes.
They are excellent.
They look excellent.
They function excellent.
They are worth every penny.
 
Back
Top Bottom